Purgatory's Pit of Doom

Status
Not open for further replies.

kellion92

A cat may not look at a king
Registered
Reaction score
Go, Ink! Keep swinging -- I think that butterfly is flittering around here somewhere.

ETA: Haupe, the Pit is a state of mind. No worries. We all have happy thoughts occasionally but keep them in Purgatory or reps so that we don't anger the hellhounds.

Last edited:

lkp

Registered
Reaction score
Hi Haupe, glad/sad to see you down here. Pull up a fake naughahyde beanbag chair (sorry --- most of the beans have leaked out of them) and have a glass of green flavoured punch. Unless you prefer red flavour.

You're right; it is all about the Pit state of mind, and the general quantity of suck in your life. I'm repped, but I'm down here with everyone else. Here in the Pit we believe that life is difficult because it is difficult, and sometimes you just need to wallow. If we hear positive thinking, we chase it out with a stick. The hellhounds take cre of the hopeful and optimistic.

kellion92

Registered
Reaction score
Hey all -- I was just on the Sourcebooks site and they are closing to unagented submissions March 1! If you had any thought of submitting anything, get your books in ... query, synopsis, full manuscript.

soulcascade

Bright lights induce scuttling
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks Kellion though I don’t know if I’m brave or stupid
{{Ink}} I’d still use the referral, though. Maybe this time the agent would do more than just glance in your general direction
All the good news seems to go to the same people -- good news is never sprinkled around evenly. I just read someone's getting-an-agent story, and she had seven offers of representation. I just want ONE.’ <- this. These stories just further convince me that I don’t have what it takes
Welcome Haupe! You certainly do qualify to hang down here with us, but we TOTALLY WILL smack you down if you come around wielding idealism/optimism or any other such tripe ;) We’ve had people here before who were published, we dont’ mind so long as they don’t try forcing sunshine down our gullets ­

Thanks Kellion, I didn’t even know Sourcebooks took unagented peeps

Wordwrestler

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Just popping in to say thanks to Kellion. It looks like Sourcebooks Children's is closing to unsolicited subs as of March 1, BUT Sourcebooks Fire, the YA imprint is still open *breathes sigh of relief*

Still, this is sad to me. FLux (YA) is closed as of the same date, and Marshall Cavendish Children's just closed, too.

An alarming trend. While I intend to keep trying to get another agent, I don't like the lack of choice for authors. We shouldn't HAVE to have one.

Pit-worthy news indeed.

kellion92

Registered
Reaction score
Oh no! MC too? I was planning to sub my old book to them -- I thought it was a good fit and my agent never went there. I know they've bought stuff from slush too -- no fair.

ETA: This is totally Pit-ish news. On the one hand, agents are only taking "big" books and kind of shunting midlist and literary (in adult too) off on small press, so I thought small- and mid-size press might be the way to go for me. But soon only micros will be left.

Last edited:

kellion92

Registered
Reaction score
Partial R with a referral to another agent. I guess it could be worse -- the agent didn't think it was totally appalling and reprehensible.

ink wench

ray of motherf#%&ing sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
(((Kellion))) But a referral is great.

What's with all of these pubs closing? Bleh.

I'm going to be stuck in meetings all day and will have to commute home in freezing rain. I feel like that's quite Pit-worthy for so early in the day.

kellion92

Registered
Reaction score
I'm trying to get something moving by subbing two projects while I query my new one.

It seems like the houses closing to unagented subs all take print manuscripts. I know they're trying to cut down subs by attaching author expense, but it would be easier and cheaper for publishers to handle electronic queries/submissions. It's tremendously costly and labor-intensive to manage paper submission, much less store them and ship them around to readers.

ETA: Good luck, Princess! Our Pitizen Mario C is a screenwriter too so he knows what a peculiar beast that is.

Last edited:

ink wench

Registered
Reaction score
Just saw in the YA forum that Carolrhoda is opening to YA subs, specifically looking for unlikable MCs. I really don't think the MC of my romance/contemp is unlikable, but a few agents have said she's kind of bitchy. Might give this a go. No query letters required!

Also, read through the first 1/3 of my new contemp (S) yesterday and thought it was a snoozefest. Since I've never read through any of it before, it can't be because I'm too familiar with it. So it must actually be boring. Ugh.

kellion92

Registered
Reaction score
Definitely sub to Carolrhoda! They only open periodically looking for specific books. I like your MC, Ink. I am shaking my head that people would think of her that way -- she's a no-nonsense realist who has suffered losses and humiliations. How else is she supposed to act?

I am liking the Vandal-inspired tactic of having a lot of fires going. Mid and small presses give you a chance at publication while not burning a big house should you get an agent. Plus they're slow with unagented subs, so why wait? If you happen to get an offer while still querying, that will light a fire under any agent subs.

Ink, I think you thought the same about your romance/contemp? And that's awesome and (don't hit me) been praised so much by agents.

soulcascade

Registered
Reaction score
Fingers are crossed for you, Princess!

{{Kellion}} But like Ink said, a referral is good news. I think that agent saw potential in your work, or else there'd be no 'golden ticket' given to you

Ink, even if you haven't read through it before, give that sucker to a beta and get their honest humble O. We 'parents' of these mss are not good judges of them, for better or worse. And yes, DEFINITELY sub to that house!

soulcascade

Registered
Reaction score
Red it's never too early to hit the maggot bong *passes Red bong in question*

Hey...has anyone realized that Haupe (if I'm pronouncing it correctly) sounds an awful lot like 'hope' *eyes Haupe suspiciously and checks for butterfly wings* ;)

SteveCordero

Pit Livin' & Purgatory Dreamin'
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.stevencordero.com
Never too early for the maggot bong, Red.

Assuming no requests come in today, at midnight tonight February will officially be requestless for me. I started querying in October and got requests every month, until good ol' Emo February. Damn, this book is going through a slow, painful death.

soulcascade

Registered
Reaction score
{{Steve}} I hate the slow, painful ones. If only news could be mercifully brief, whether or not it was good.

ink wench

Registered
Reaction score
(((Steve)))

Soul, S is so not ready for a beta. This read-through was supposed to help me figure out where to start editing. But I'm not sure I can finish.

Leigh.Lyons

Bored Fanatic
Registered
Reaction score
(((Steve)))

Soul, S is so not ready for a beta. This read-through was supposed to help me figure out where to start editing. But I'm not sure I can finish.

((((Ink))))

Actually...

(((PIT)))

Ugh >.< I hate moving. I really, really do! Stupid fucking love clouding my decisions! And, I make so little money that I'm literally freaking out about not having anything.:e2thud:
Also agents :(
Also, also school :(
Also, also, also, leaving my animals until we can take them :(

Status
Not open for further replies.