Not open for further replies.

SteveCordero

Pit Livin' & Purgatory Dreamin'
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.stevencordero.com
Another Pit-worthy thing ... it's like being in a cycle of doom. I got great beta comments back on my WIP, but I'm stumped in starting the revisions because my mind isn't in the right place with these flow of full rejects.

I feel like Judy Jetson trying to write a term paper.

And I'm like a bad gambler or crack addict. I'd desperate for good news so I sent out a batch of more queries, even my snail mail. :eek:

Last edited:

kellion92

A cat may not look at a king
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, I hate knowing that nothing good is happening and that there is no possibility of anything good happening. But nothing will happen regardless.

Snappy

A new year, a new avatar
Registered
Reaction score
I'm a masochist, no doubt. Not only am I a writer, but I'm a martial artist.
karate-747.gif
Is there any better combination of masochist? My body gets beat up and my soul gets crushed daily.

Digging down to sub sub basement. Where is that shovel???

AH! There...
Emoticon_digging.gif

soulcascade

Bright lights induce scuttling
Registered
Reaction score
*grabs onto Snappy* oh no! No getting away from us! You've got to stick around here and share the misery! The pit is like a gang, you can get in but you can't get out ;)

Shuemais

We can't always be the Batman
Registered
Reaction score
Good luck Shu, looks like we’ll start querying at roughly the same time. Should I start sobbing on your shoulder now or wait until my first R?

An optimist would say that hopefully there won't be any sobbing necessary, but that would also make me a horrible, horrible liar.

So here's a question for you guys, what did you all do before the pit??I was relatively 'lucky' (and I use that loosely) in that when I was bombing out of hell and getting beat over the head with everyone's good news, I soon discovered the pit...and it was active. But is there anyone down here who was stuck 'top side' with nowhere to go for a while?

I've only been around for the better part of a week or two, so this seemed like a good place to start. Back when I was sending my first round of queries last fall, I just took the rejection as a part of life and kept to myself since I had no one else to tell them about. The partial- and full-rejections were much, much harder to live with than the immediate "don't-call-us-we'll-call-you" ones. So since I'm at the bottom already, the Pit seems like a good place to be -- things can only go up from here.

Leigh.Lyons

Bored Fanatic
Registered
Reaction score
That's exactly what happens. That's why I wasn't around for a while. I knew if I stuck around reading other people's good news, I would fall even further into despair. So, Lucy, stay away if you need to, but we're here in the bowels of the Pit when you need us.
Yeah, that's why I left the n0 n3ws is n0 n3ws thread. Everyone was so damned happy.

Leigh.Lyons

Bored Fanatic
Registered
Reaction score
So here's a question for you guys, what did you all do before the pit??I was relatively 'lucky' (and I use that loosely) in that when I was bombing out of hell and getting beat over the head with everyone's good news, I soon discovered the pit...and it was active. But is there anyone down here who was stuck 'top side' with nowhere to go for a while?
I was on the aformentioned thread. But people actually jumped on me for being morose. So I actually walked away from AW for a while. I could take them. A good number I consider friends (or friendly aquaintences) but others were just barbing me at the slightest thing past "yays! good for you" or "awe, I'm sorry to hear that", so I left and stopped writing for a while too.

Leigh.Lyons

Bored Fanatic
Registered
Reaction score
An optimist would say that hopefully there won't be any sobbing necessary, but that would also make me a horrible, horrible liar.

I've only been around for the better part of a week or two, so this seemed like a good place to start. Back when I was sending my first round of queries last fall, I just took the rejection as a part of life and kept to myself since I had no one else to tell them about. The partial- and full-rejections were much, much harder to live with than the immediate "don't-call-us-we'll-call-you" ones. So since I'm at the bottom already, the Pit seems like a good place to be -- things can only go up from here.

:Wha: Op..ti..mist? What's that? Something you put in soup? Sirrah Mist's demented cousin?

soulcascade

Bright lights induce scuttling
Registered
Reaction score
HAHAHA Shu I was going to crack a joke but Leigh beat me to it :)

Okay folks, was thinking *note I didn't DO anything, just THINKING* about querying today and my right eye began to spasm. Not exaggerating, either. Ack!

Shuemais

We can't always be the Batman
Registered
Reaction score
I'm diving in all the same. No time like the present.

... and why an agent who doesn't accept email queries is listed on AgentQuery when I select the "accepts email queries" option is beyond me. Blah.

lkp

Registered
Reaction score

I spent time in Purgatory and Historical Fiction. I still lurk both places, and sometimes post.
And I will still be lurking here --- in fact I check pretty much every day. I'm just not finding I have as much to post these days. I'll sort of hover around like a ghost, so if you feel a damp chill, it is probably me.

lkp

Registered
Reaction score
I'm a masochist, no doubt. Not only am I a writer, but I'm a martial artist.
karate-747.gif
Is there any better combination of masochist? My body gets beat up and my soul gets crushed daily.

Digging down to sub sub basement. Where is that shovel???

AH! There...
Emoticon_digging.gif

Ow! Watch where you're poking that shovel.

Red-Green

KoalaKoalaKoala!
Registered
Reaction score
At the publishing party, whacking the piñata
Website
www.bryngreenwood.com
I spent time in Purgatory and Historical Fiction. I still lurk both places, and sometimes post.
And I will still be lurking here --- in fact I check pretty much every day. I'm just not finding I have as much to post these days. I'll sort of hover around like a ghost, so if you feel a damp chill, it is probably me.

Are you the one who pinched my ass? Or is that a different ghost?

kellion92

Registered
Reaction score
I want to be a happy person and have one of those positive, cheerful images that are apparently essential to getting published. This is the outlet for the negative.

SteveCordero

Pit Livin' & Purgatory Dreamin'
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.stevencordero.com
I wish I believed in Oprah-ism, where you just have to dream it to make it come true. But I keep thinking of the 40K kids who die of starvation or easily prevented diseases every day. Is it just that their mothers aren't dreaming big enough? Doubtful.

Red, it's pretty simple for me, and a reason why I hated the Mel Gibson arc in Signs, but liked the movie nevertheless.

Horrible things happen to good people everyday.

Last Easter in the Bronx not far from my old neighborhood, a mom & dad were driving to Easter mass with their 4 yr old in the car seat. A stray bullet went through the door and killed the boy. It was from a shoot out yards away. The classic "random act of violence."

The parents weren't bad people. They enjoyed life. Had a great outlook. Were going to mass to celebrate their religion and go home and share a great Easter dinner together.

The sole benefit of positive thinking is to prevent self-sabotage. That's it. It never has and never will control outside forces. For our purposes, that means no matter how chipper or happy-go-lucky we are that won't make an agent/editor/consumer want what we're trying to sell.

ink wench

ray of motherf#%&ing sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
Exactly why I hate that sort of shit about positive thinking and positive attitudes, etc. (And why I loved Kellion's book. ;))

Speaking of positivity, I have some cheerful and bubbly friends arriving in an hour. I love them, but am going to require massive drinking this weekend.

kellion92

Registered
Reaction score
If you're going to be drinking, Ink, there IS a bright side. Don't be afraid to have fun. We won't hold it against you.

An R on my new query...

lkp

Registered
Reaction score
*whistles innocently around Red, hands quickly shoved in pockets*

Exactly why I hate that sort of shit about positive thinking and positive attitudes, etc. (And why I loved Kellion's book. ;))

Ditto (and ditto).

Of course it is the fault of starving children that they die, and cancer victims that they die. And those 6 million Jews? If only they had truly *believed* that Hitler was nice guy, they wouldn't have brought so much grief upon themselves.

And at worst, positive thinking is a sop that prevents collective political action to create change. Hope that you'll win the lottery or become rich, and you don't have to join the protestors in Egypt. Or Wisconsin.

Cricket18

Gnawing my hairless tail
Registered
Reaction score
Got my form pass on a full, right on target according to QT.

Lovely.

kellion92

Registered
Reaction score
(((Cricket)))

Thanks for the compliments on my story, ladies. Is it any wonder it's doomed with that kind of attitude?

Status
Not open for further replies.