Purgatory's Pit of Doom

Status
Not open for further replies.

kellion92

A cat may not look at a king
Registered
Reaction score
Bleh. I got a form QR today from someone who requests practically everything and often gives feedback on Rs. But it's clear that that is NOT the project of the moment.

I don't think I'm ready to trunk it yet. I threw some queries out last night to some long-shot no-response agents because it was a worth a chance -- no response means no, but no query means no chance, right?

Last edited:

soulcascade

Bright lights induce scuttling
Registered
Reaction score
{{Kellion}}

I'm going to sound like a total dreamer, but I really love my ms and feel it deserves a chance. Yeah yeah, I know, ALL writers feel that way. But I guess that's what's pulling me along this query go round....

kellion92

Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, I think my book deserves a chance. One thing I feel better about is that I'm not querying too soon -- I worried about pacing, characterization, whether I was revealing information at the right time. It turns out it doesn't matter because I'm getting rejected on query. So glad I didn't spend another six months.

soulcascade

Registered
Reaction score
*cry* Ouch. It's hard to know if you 'should' spend x amount of time super-polishing that ms...if it doesn't get any requests, then what's the point?

ink wench

ray of motherf#%&ing sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
(((Kellion))) I hate that feeling of futility. Like why did I spend so much time polishing the hell out of this MS if no one is going to read past the query? Especially when I read some pubbed books that have writing/storytelling issues that me cringe.

Was just saying to my husband last night how excited I was about the twist in my WIP. I think it will be awesome and heart-breaking if I can pull it off (a big if), but unless anyone takes the time to read to the end, no one will know ever know how much work I put into setting it up.

kellion92

Registered
Reaction score
I STILL haven't finished my synopsis. I'm hoping that that will help a little bit -- the agents who want them want to know what happens in submissions at least. So it helps for books with twists.

I didn't expect querying to go this way. I thought I'd be rejected, but maybe kindly or regretfully or helpfully rejected.

soulcascade

Registered
Reaction score
Especially when I read some pubbed books that have writing/storytelling issues that me cringe. <- THIS!

Urgh, Kellion, synopses are evil. And querying is too. Querying has always been uber painful for me.

Snappy

A new year, a new avatar
Registered
Reaction score
I HATE synopsis. They are the spawn of Hell! I feel your pain, Kell!

Vandal

In the Center of things
Registered
Reaction score
I didn't expect querying to go this way. I thought I'd be rejected, but maybe kindly or regretfully or helpfully rejected.

These words do not exist

in The Pit

I queried book #4 for a short time and got completely shut out. It had been beta-ed and QLH-ed and still it generated nary a whiff of interest. Crazy.

Last edited:

clare

Registered
Reaction score
Just for "fun" today, I made myself a ticker at tickerfactory.com:

When I have queried every agent who reps my genre, that snake can bite me and put me out of my misery.

Vandal

In the Center of things
Registered
Reaction score
Just for "fun" today, I made myself a ticker at tickerfactory.com:

When I have queried every agent who reps my genre, that snake can bite me and put me out of my misery.

You'll fit right in.

ink wench

ray of motherf#%&ing sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
(((Kellion))) Querying just sucks however you look at it. I expected rejection. I didn't expect to be told over and over that my super commercial concept was too freaking commercial to sell. WTF?

(((Princess)))

Clare, I love it!

kellion92

Registered
Reaction score
I love it, Clare!!!!

Today is a triple whammy so far, and the day is young. Old queries, new, everybody's doing spring cleaning. I could rewrite my query again, but I think it will only work if I describe somebody else's book.

(((Princess)))

kellion92

Registered
Reaction score
Makes no sense to me, Ink.

I have no idea what MG is doing well now. The same few ms on QT get all the requests. There's an odd unanimity about what makes a concept worthwhile.

soulcascade

Registered
Reaction score
It's such a knife to the heart when 'one' concept gets all the requests. I know it's all timing and bla bla bla, but the thing with timing is, either you have it or you don't. And Pitizens...we don't :(

Snappy

A new year, a new avatar
Registered
Reaction score
QT is also the root of all evil. :evil

kellion92

Registered
Reaction score
I am grateful for QT for A) helping me find agents to query B) killing hope about those queries. You can see exactly when there is no chance left, no matter what the agent's stated response policy.

Leigh.Lyons

Bored Fanatic
Registered
Reaction score
(((Kellion))) I hate that feeling of futility. Like why did I spend so much time polishing the hell out of this MS if no one is going to read past the query? Especially when I read some pubbed books that have writing/storytelling issues that me cringe.
I read this book that was horribly formulaic, the writing was terrible... somehow the author was an international best seller but everyone I talked to about the book said the same things that are said of Sm3y3r. So I thought it would be interesting to send my query to her agent. The agent said it was too obscure. I about shat a brick on that one!

Status
Not open for further replies.