Purgatory's Pit of Doom

Status
Not open for further replies.

ink wench

ray of motherf#%&ing sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
(((Vandal)))

Madder, wow. That's just... yeah, ugh. Sorry am out of words. Not good since I'm supposed to be writing this afternoon.

(((Cricket))) That sucks. I've had the same thing happen, and it really makes you go WTF.

Snappy

A new year, a new avatar
Registered
Reaction score
Happy Birthday, Soul! Thanks for the offer to read.

Got an R on a partial. Another "writing is great, story is great but not unique enough". Ugh.

triceretops

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
guerrillawarfareforwriters.blogspot.com
Happy birthday, Soul!
Cricket...you are not alone in this. This too shall pass and you'll rise above it.

Even publication can throw you in the arm pit of doom, although I think I've gone a little further down south and become wedged in the crack of doom. Both versions of my book on Amazon are so expensive that there will be no sales. That looks pretty obvious now. It's not a PA thing, it's a thing where production costs of the book shot the price up too high. You know you've had it when your book doesn't get a rank 23 days after publication, and you've sold one high-priced Kindle edition.

Library sales would be perfect for this book if I just knew how to go about getting it in front of librarians. I'm trying personalized letters at this point. Library Digest (?) and Kirkus are out of the question at this point.

Tri

Cricket18

Gnawing my hairless tail
Registered
Reaction score
(((Snappy))) That sucks--I'm sorry.

(((Tri))) Why was it so expensive? Is it a long book? The price will go down eventually, won't it?

Ah, Sunday in the Pit....

kellion92

A cat may not look at a king
Registered
Reaction score
Yay for brother opening his wallet!!!

Sigh, Tri. What a drag -- you get the red-carpet treatment from your publisher, and this is what happens. I know the production costs are high, but how can they expect to recoup the illustration costs if they don't price it reasonably?

triceretops

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
guerrillawarfareforwriters.blogspot.com
Yay for brother opening his wallet!!!

Sigh, Tri. What a drag -- you get the red-carpet treatment from your publisher, and this is what happens. I know the production costs are high, but how can they expect to recoup the illustration costs if they don't price it reasonably?

Oh, totally agreed on this. The first time I saw the price on Amazon I keeled over in my typing chair. Now, a really large house would have backed up the promo, reduced the price, and moved some copies. Here I had a small press wanting to do everything right, going the extra mile with a debut book with bells, whistles and whatnots, and totally ignored for it.

Sometimes...le sigh...little piglets are not allowed to get their swill at the trough. When the hogs have vacated, we wallow in our little mud puddles, looking for the leftovers.

Tri

ink wench

Registered
Reaction score
Oh, Tri, that really sucks. Can't win no matter what.

Woke up to a full R. Too similar to another book. My story was deeper,* but the other story was funnier.

*Awesome because another agent basically said my story wasn't deep enough. :rolleyes:

ETA: 2 full Rs. Just got a second one.

Last edited:

kellion92

A cat may not look at a king
Registered
Reaction score
(((Ink))) Well, it's nice to be deep. That's why we're in a pit.

Maggoccino for you on this way-too-cold-morning. We have 8 degrees here, and that's almost as low as it gets in Philly.

lkp

Registered
Reaction score
Oh crap, Ink. Sounds like many of us are headed for a spell in the Pit-below-the-Pit.

Do we do group hugs in the Pit? Or do we just wander sheepishly into our various corners, kick the dirt, and look sideways at each other?

soulcascade

Bright lights induce scuttling
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks Mario, Snappy Tri and Word! Red I had a really great birthday, even had a surprise party thrown for me! Needless to say I dared not venture into the pit during my moments of happiness.

Madder long hand has saved my sanity! I just don't have the discipline to keep ignoring the temptations of the internet
Man, and Snappy if they HAD thought it was original then it’d be ‘it’s not marketable’ urgh
Tri I’m a librarian. Not sure how much I can help but feel free to send whatever letter you have my way and I will see what I can do.
Madder that’s good news! I was worried brother in law was a cheapskate

Heh Kellion it’s -33 Celcius (with the wind chill) here, I think I got you beat ;) I worried my car wasn’t going to start this morning
And on to the mass of bad news in here. HOLY FUCK PITIZENS! {{{EVERYONE}} Snappy, what a shitty R
Aw Tri your news made me want to cry! I’m so sorry L And Ink WTF?????????????? I hate varied advice and that R sucks monkey balls. THERE! I SAID IT!
Aw Cricket that SUCKS. The least they could've done is acknowledged that they'd had contact with you before :(

Snappy

A new year, a new avatar
Registered
Reaction score
Monday morning pit! I'd say "good morning" but that seems dull. So "morning" it is. Thanks, Soul and all fellow pit-ters? pit-ees? eh, just thanks. I am going to crawl back into the sub sub basement which I'm assuming is dug at this point and hide. If anyone wants me, dive on in.

ink wench

Registered
Reaction score
*hangs out in Red's sub basement*

So I've decided the contemporary I'm working on is the epitome of all the reasons my current contemp is getting R'd. It's not hooky and it's too similar to another book. Yay. And, you know, I could put it aside and work on something else, but the only other thing tempting me is a paranormal that I need to revise, and YA paranormal is supposed to be completely and utterly overdone.

I've lost the desire to work on anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.