Purgatory's Pit of Doom

Status
Not open for further replies.

Snappy

A new year, a new avatar
Registered
Reaction score
(((Cricket))) 13 hour day = pure evil. Thank goodness for doggehs!

(((Dr. Ink))) May you get some rest soon.

(((Amarie))) Are people really that pathetic that they stalk others on the internet? I mean come on! Get a life (not you, evil stalker person).

(((Red))) POV change? *double maggotini for you*

Last edited:

kellion92

A cat may not look at a king
Registered
Reaction score
*sniff sniff* An editor who already rejected my chapter book just tweeted that she's dying for a good early chapter book. Oops -- I guess I didn't take care of that "good" part.

I've never written in first, Red (except an unpublished PB). I wonder if it would be a creative breakthrough. I'm thinking of writing my fantasy (if I ever write it) in first because that would keep me from getting too Once-upon-a-timish. And fortunately my princess MC is articulate, introspective, and observant.

Teriann

optimist
Registered
Reaction score
Cricket, your life is crazy.

Yes, that's me in the avi. So now I can see you all so you'd better behave. (Took about 200 shots to get one I liked. That's the problem with getting older. You look at your photo and feel horrified. Who is that person with the gray strands and wrinkles? I had to pull out the curling iron. I went all out.

I found a neat trick a long time ago. I write my first draft in first person, then switch to third. In first, I tend to ramble more, putting in more thoughts, getting more into the character's head.

Kell, I don't know how you can even do twitter. BTW, I thought of you reading an editor interview in which she said they don't even buy picture books because nobody has any idea what picture books will sell.

More coming soon. Metaphysical question: Are two shorter posts better than one long one?

kellion92

Registered
Reaction score
Two posts are easier to read.

Speaking of first, I just read a book (more of a legend than fantasy) in first that used a big cheat to misdirect the reader, with a very thin explanation at the end for why a noble character had a London street thug's voice. I get more annoyed when first person narrators hide too much from me -- quite your lying!

ETA: I think the book would have worked better in third. The character could SPEAK in a thug's voice but in close third, the thoughts wouldn't have had to be so false.

Last edited:

Red-Green

KoalaKoalaKoala!
Registered
Reaction score
At the publishing party, whacking the piñata
Website
www.bryngreenwood.com
I agree, two posts are easier to read.

And exactly, Kell! Third person allows you to present the character in one way, while having them be another way. In my case, I have a main character who almost never speaks. Maybe a hundred words in the whole novel. So having whole chapters in her voice seriously undercuts that effect.

Teriann

optimist
Registered
Reaction score
I always find 1st person a useful technique for exploring characters. That's really the cruelest part. The chapters the agent wants changed? In my first draft, they were in first person. I didn't think it worked that well. I changed it to third. Apparently, I was wrong. :p

In the opinion of one person.

I went to a presentation by two court clerks who had honestly gotten to the point where they truly believed everything their judge did and said was the absolute truth.

Criminal Defense Attorney: When your judge labels an argument frivolous, it prevents us from appealing to a higher court.
Clerk: Why would you want to appeal to a higher court if the argument is frivolous?
CDA: GAHHHH!

Some readers have weird quirks about first person. I've gone through phases when I hated reading first person.

Probably from an editor's viewpoint, a lot more drivel gets produced in first person. Personally I think it's easier to write but harder to write well.

kellion92

Registered
Reaction score
Hmm, Red, you could make a strong case for having the whole book in first EXCEPT your main character. The POV will stand out more, especially if Ke11en is in 1st, and show the distance that she places between herself and others. Clearly it will be a motivated decision.

Red-Green

KoalaKoalaKoala!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bryngreenwood.com
In the opinion of one person.

I went to a presentation by two court clerks who had honestly gotten to the point where they truly believed everything their judge did and said was the absolute truth.

Criminal Defense Attorney: When your judge labels an argument frivolous, it prevents us from appealing to a higher court.
Clerk: Why would you want to appeal to a higher court if the argument is frivolous?
CDA: GAHHHH!

Some readers have weird quirks about first person. I've gone through phases when I hated reading first person.

Probably from an editor's viewpoint, a lot more drivel gets produced in first person. Personally I think it's easier to write but harder to write well.

Well, that's why they got the tongue sticking out. In *their* opinion, I was wrong. Pleh.

Hmm, Red, you could make a strong case for having the whole book in first EXCEPT your main character. The POV will stand out more, especially if Ke11en is in 1st, and show the distance that she places between herself and others. Clearly it will be a motivated decision.

Well, that's problematic, too, when you've got nearly a dozen narrators. I feel like I need variety, to keep the reader from getting overwhelmed. Odd fucking book gotta cause me problems.

Teriann

optimist
Registered
Reaction score
Well, that's why they got the tongue sticking out. In *their* opinion, I was wrong. Pleh.

Well, that's problematic, too, when you've got nearly a dozen narrators. I feel like I need variety, to keep the reader from getting overwhelmed. Odd fucking book gotta cause me problems.

I missed the little tongue.

After raising children, I'm just blind to that sort of thing.

But it gave me an excuse to write about that court clerk whose comment has been bothering me for months.

ink wench

ray of motherf#%&ing sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
I'm supposed to be staying away to work, but I need to curl up in a corner and cry. I just finished R, my newest WIP over the weekend. And what do I see in PM today? A book with the same title and a similar premise sold at auction (plus bonus film deal).

FML

Teriann

optimist
Registered
Reaction score
Um. Pass one of those things you all drink. I'm about to be sick, or worse, hopeful.

So I hadn't checked my email for a good 45 seconds (unusual for me) and there were 2 messages from an editor reading. First said, "Teri, I can't get the attachment open. Will you please send the book again?" The next said, "Never mind! My mistake! I got it open."

Which means right now someone is reading my book.

Faints from sheer nervousness.

kellion92

Registered
Reaction score
Sigh, Red. It is quite possible that you decide that the agent is wrong about some things and right about others. Only do what makes the story stronger.

One thing about being published by a small press is that, if things work out, you will be able to climb the publishing ladder more easily. Or, if things really work out and you're happy with the small press, you may want them to publish another title or two.

Teriann

optimist
Registered
Reaction score
I'm supposed to be staying away to work, but I need to curl up in a corner and cry. I just finished R, my newest WIP over the weekend. And what do I see in PM today? A book with the same title and a similar premise sold at auction (plus bonus film deal).

FML

Oh lord. We were writing at the same time.

Same title? Wow.
That sounds really odd.

ink wench

Registered
Reaction score
(((Teri))) I'd be freaking too.

The title isn't exactly original. It's more like the straw breaking the hellhound's back. The book that sold is paranormal. Mine is light SF. But the premises are eerily similar which, combined with the title thing, is making me vomitous.

kellion92

Registered
Reaction score
(((Tracy))) Oh no. But a title is not that big a deal. The premise may or may not be the similar -- you're almost there, right? Your book could even be out before the other.

Fingers crossed, Teri.

ink wench

Registered
Reaction score
Kellion, I finished the first draft this weekend. I need to give it a read-through then I was planning on sending to some first round betas. (At the moment, I can't spot the plot holes so I'm counting on others). It's far from ready.

Am wondering if I should email the agent.

ETA:
Ack, and I take it back. They're both SF. Even worse. :(

Red-Green

KoalaKoalaKoala!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bryngreenwood.com

FML

Oh goddamn. That is exponential suckitude. I don't know about emailing the agent. How much does she know about your WIP?

ink wench

Registered
Reaction score
Red, she ok'd the premise and read the first couple chapters. I told her originally I hoped to have a draft for her around early spring, and I'm still on target for that.

(((Mrs. Brommers)))

Red-Green

KoalaKoalaKoala!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bryngreenwood.com
Red, she ok'd the premise and read the first couple chapters. I told her originally I hoped to have a draft for her around early spring, and I'm still on target for that.

If you feel panicky, I don't think it would be off base to email and say, "Hey, I wanted to touch base with you about my WIP, because I just saw this deal. I can't help but feel nervous at the surface similarities. Am I over-reacting?"

kellion92

Registered
Reaction score
(((Ink))) But if it's a hot premise and you have it ready in the next three months, you could still sell it. One of the other houses might want it and put it out before the first title.

Amarie

carpe libri
Registered
Reaction score
Ink, titles can be changed and the fact that a similar premise book sold is good-it means pubs are interested in that sort of book. Yes, it cuts one house you can sub to, but that's not a big deal. Email your agent-she'll talk you off the ledge.

kellion92

Registered
Reaction score
Ink, I read that listing, and it's pretty vague and really emphasizes the romance. Yours could be very, very different. If you didn't have the same title, it wouldn't be an issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.