Other forums for freelance chatter?

spacekadet

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.monicashaw.com
Hi all,

I'm writing an article about social networking for writers and was hoping you could help. Do you guys hang out in any other writer's forums besides this one?

In the UK, there's journobiz.com, where the pros hang out. I don't know of anything similar in the US? So far, absolute write has been the most lively and insightful of all the forums I've used.

What are your experiences?

spacekadet

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.monicashaw.com
Both of these are excellent responses - I hadn't seen either before but I'm signing up for both.

Laurie, do you pay for MediaBistro's deluxe service? Just curious... I know they have a lot of "how to pitch" articles and I wonder if their worth the subscription.

Laurie PK

Fulltime blogger & freelance writer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
theadventurouswriter.com
No, I don't pay for the MediaBistro's Deluxe. I researched it and do think it's worth it, but I have enough editors and markets to pitch -- I need to focus on creating excellent article ideas. Plus, I think the Big National Magazines in the deluxe package may be too big, you know? Too competitive -- like Oprah magazine, for instance. I think my chances of getting published there are fairly small right now, even if I did have the right contact info!

So though I decided it would be worth it to pay MB, I didn't go through with it.........which perhaps means I don't think it is worth it! But the only way to know for sure is to try it. It could be worth it for one freelancer, but not another. And, it only takes one article assignment to pay for it!

moth

my own two hands
Registered
Reaction score
I signed up for the AvantGuild membership at MB and so far am finding it worth the cost. But I'm new to freelancing and don't have contacts with a lot of editors yet. And like Laurie says, it'll be even more worth it once I get an assignment that pays for it!

JenNipps

Have you JHS today?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jenifernipps.com
Although it's not strictly a writers' board, there's a lot of freelance chatter that goes on around Twitter too. Monday nights from 7-10 CST is Journchat and then Wednesday nights from 8-10 CST is editor chat. (I Haven't been to that one yet, going tonight, so I can tell you about it tomorrow.)

spacekadet

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.monicashaw.com
I signed up for the AvantGuild membership at MB and so far am finding it worth the cost. But I'm new to freelancing and don't have contacts with a lot of editors yet. And like Laurie says, it'll be even more worth it once I get an assignment that pays for it!

I'm in a similar boat... but I worry that knowing who to contact won't really help me if no one's heard of me before. =)

Thanks EVERYONE for your feedback on this!

moth

my own two hands
Registered
Reaction score
Moth, why's is it worth the cost? I'm just curious what the membership offers......I mean, I know what it says it offers, but is that what you find it valuable?
I think I find it valuable because I'm so new to freelancing -- I don't know if I'll renew in a year or not. But the Content page is what I'm finding valuable, especially the How to Pitch and Pitches That Worked sections. The How to Pitch gives specifics for loads of different mags -- which editors to query for which department, what they want, what they don't want. Detailed info. Also I found an editor's e-mail there that I couldn't find anyplace else. (Of course I double-check editor's names with the current mastheads, since some of those articles are two years old.)

There's other stuff they offer members (an e-mail address, profile page, etc.) but I have no need for any of those, at least at the moment. I do sometimes lurk on the forums there but I confess I don't know if they're part of the paid membership or free to the public.

I also like the How'd You Do That section, where they interview people who got great gigs/results/etc. And there's other sections that I can't remember right now but I like them too. Basically everything on the Content tab is where I mostly go on MB.

It's kind of a hand-holding thing for me I guess, since I'm still feeling my newbie-ness. :eek: Once I get a few assignments under my belt I'll be looking at the other perks to see what else I might take advantage of. So for the moment it's worth the cost, but it might not always be.

spacekadet

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.monicashaw.com
Moth - I think the magic question is: did having any of that information help you get a commission? I can definitely see the appeal of the "how to pitch" stuff, but if I'm pitching to pubs that only hire seasoned writers, then I'm afraid I'll be way out of my league!

Orientalist

Registered
Reaction score
Website
susanjcunningham.wordpress.com
You might also want to check out the forum at Freelance Success. A subscription is a bit expensive ($80?) but you can get a week's free access.

Writer's Weekly also has a forum, but I don't think it's very active.