AW Amazon Store

If this site is helpful to you,
Please consider a voluntary subscription to defray ongoing expenses.

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Linn Prentis Agency

here and there again
    Of course this means she'll now be flooded with a thousand queries and we'll all be comparing notes on what's happening, and it might turn into a feeding frenzy like...

Oh, no. Not going there!

for certain qualities of "sane" tarak's Avatar
    Central Pennsylvania - the gateway to Harrisburg
    Quote Originally Posted by miamyselfandi View Post
    Of course this means she'll now be flooded with a thousand queries and we'll all be comparing notes on what's happening, and it might turn into a feeding frenzy like...

Oh, no. Not going there!

Probably true. I'm still in query hell and haven't drummed up the courage to post my synopsis, so it will be a few more weeks for me.

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin
    Just received a partial request from her assistant. Hoping for the best. Anyone know how many there are at this agency? Is it a small, one-two person agency, or larger?
    --
    Mike
    Richmond, Texas
    Slow boats, fast cars, old trucks, and summers off to write

Any news?

I hope everyone is continuing to work hard as you wait. Anyone have news to report?
    Author of: Bolt Action Champagne Books, Haunting of Ingersull Penitenitary Muse It Up Publishing, Sled Dog Tales and What if a Zebra Had Triangles? Dancing With Bear Publishing. www.victoriaroder.com

practical experience, FTW
    I resubmitted too, right around the 12th. My query's better now too.

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin LiMeiLing's Avatar
    Well, at least they're quick. I queried them 1/31/11 and received a form rejection only 9 hours and 11 minutes later! Oh well. Every rejection is a step forward in my opinion. Good luck to everyone else!
    Last edited by LiMeiLing; 02-04-2011 at 02:02 PM.

USA Today Bestselling Author Jamiekswriter's Avatar
    Just got a form reject from my requested resent query. The e-mail was from "righthand" at linn prentis agency. Sounds like a cool title!

May I ask when you resent the query? Mine went in on Jan. 11.

I sent Linn Prentiss an e-query on February 4, got a form rejection the same day from Amy Hayden. With minor word changes, this was the same form letter they'd used a couple of years ago.

Filigree

Uh-oh. Maybe mine didn't make it to them.

USA Today Bestselling Author Jamiekswriter's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kmarshall View Post
    May I ask when you resent the query? Mine went in on Jan. 11.
    I resent it on 1/11/01 so almost a month ago.

I resent mine on Jan. 12 and still waiting...

Weird. Wonder why the people who submitted later are hearing and those who sent early aren't. Mine went in with 10 pages, which might slow things down. Any guesses?

I know, I've wondered the same thing, hoping mine actually went through...but I'm definitely not ready to nudge yet! I'd rather wait and hope there's a chance... =)

(I also sent synopsis + 10 pages)

Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. kaitie's Avatar
    I also resent mine late and haven't heard back. My guess would be that it's because she read some out of order.

practical experience, FTW LadyLex's Avatar
    Well, I received a form rejection today on a recent query. It was one of my first queries sent 2/6/2011. Maybe I will have some luck on the others.

Got my rejection yesterday. It was nice, though it still stings

Resistance is Everything christwriter's Avatar
    I queried back in October, and apparently the thing that ate all their emails ate mine too, because I got the "Please requery" thing in January. I requeried and got a request (!!!!) for the first three chapters on Friday.

I'm still mentally reviewing EVERY SINGLE REASON why the book could still be rejected (I am not a glass-is-half-empty kind of person. I'm more of a WTF WHAT IF THE GLASS BREAKS AND STARTS LEAKING AND WE GET NO DRINK AT ALL IT COULD HAPPEN kind of person) but yeah. First request ever=cool.

CW

for certain qualities of "sane" tarak's Avatar
    Central Pennsylvania - the gateway to Harrisburg
    Quote Originally Posted by christwriter View Post
    I queried back in October, and apparently the thing that ate all their emails ate mine too, because I got the "Please requery" thing in January. I requeried and got a request (!!!!) for the first three chapters on Friday.

I'm still mentally reviewing EVERY SINGLE REASON why the book could still be rejected (I am not a glass-is-half-empty kind of person. I'm more of a WTF WHAT IF THE GLASS BREAKS AND STARTS LEAKING AND WE GET NO DRINK AT ALL IT COULD HAPPEN kind of person) but yeah. First request ever=cool.

CW
    congrats, christwriter. I got the same "please requery" email. I haven't done so because I still need to draft a synopsis. My last one needed work, I think.

Any news?

I was wondering if anyone has heard anything lately? I also resent on Jan. 12th and have heard nothing yet. Hang in there, everyone.
    Author of: Bolt Action Champagne Books, Haunting of Ingersull Penitenitary Muse It Up Publishing, Sled Dog Tales and What if a Zebra Had Triangles? Dancing With Bear Publishing. www.victoriaroder.com

here and there again
    Quote Originally Posted by Victoria Roder View Post
    I was wondering if anyone has heard anything lately? I also resent on Jan. 12th and have heard nothing yet. Hang in there, everyone.
    I resent at the same time as you and got a request last week, so hang in there.

Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. kaitie's Avatar
    I also resent mine on the 12th, but I haven't heard anything back yet, either. She's in my notes as being a really slow responder, so I'd give it at least two or three months.

I also sent mine the 12th and am still waiting and hoping...

Just a guy with a pen & a delusion Mr. Anonymous's Avatar
    I've been going back and forth about whether or not to post my experiences, but I figure I will.

They had previously looked at a full of my 3rd novel, and were not enthusiastic enough to take it on.

I queried them with my 4th novel. In my query, I made it clear what the premise of the novel was, stated my genre (contemporary young adult) and told them that my word count was 50,000 words.

I received a request for a partial, and in the email, Amy told me that my wordcount, at 50,000, was a little low, and would I be willing to make the book longer?

I thought it was a little early to be asking that question, but I said that if an agent interested in representing me asked me to make it longer, then I would discuss that possibility at that time, and attached my partial.

They got back to me very quickly, with one of the strangest personal rejections I've ever received. They did not mention anything that would have indicated that they read my pages. Rather, they said that 1) They felt that, at 50,000 words, it was too short for young adult 2) They felt that young adults would not be interested in reading what I was writing about, ie, the premise.

What I do not understand is, why request pages and get a writer's hopes up only to reject solely on the basis of information that was clearly stated in the query?

Not only that, but they actually asked me, out of curiosity, if other agents were considering the novel, in light of the fact that they didn't think young adults would be at all interested.

I have no hard feelings toward Amy and Linn, I'm sure they're nice people just doing their jobs as best they can, not unlike all of us, but this whole exchange left a bad taste in my mouth, and assuming I don't get an agent on this 4th novel, I don't think I'll be querying them again.
    Last edited by Mr. Anonymous; 02-19-2011 at 10:00 PM.

here and there again
    Mr Anonymous, I've seen various people reference ongoing communications with Amy before she has read, or perhaps as she is reading, submissions. I've often wondered what she might be asking so early in the game.

That does seem a frustrating rejection. I hope your next submissions find a better home.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast