• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Brandylane Publishers

novagem

Registered
Reaction score
I have an appointment with a publisher tomorrow. I am at this point assuming they will require money up front to self publish but in hopes they
think my stories and illustrations are worth the gamble. The publishers are located near Richmond VA and the name is Brandylane Publishers. Link www.brandylanepublishers.com Their web site looks great and I checked the sales ranking of their books published. Most are slow sellers over 1,000,000. My question is has anyone heard of them or used this company.

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Brandylane is a subsidy publisher and your assumption is correct: you gotta pay to play. However, they do offer a "traditional" publishing service but the criteria for selection is pretty much the same you'd find at a commercial house: current commitments, market potential, etc.

I didn't find anything else here on AW about them, but a couple of the books are ringing serious bells, like I'm certain they've been mentioned or discussed here.

Smoke14

Registered
Reaction score
I have received a similar message from this publisher; they have said nothing about my manuscript, my query or anything pertinent. They just said we'll put it out...for a fee.

That raises my hackles right away. I would be extremely careful that you do not sign any agreements untill you have examined other options. But I would also be very interested in how this meeting goes.

M.R.J. Le Blanc

aka Sadistic Mistress Mi-chan
Registered
Reaction score
Any publisher that has a subsidy/vanity/whatever you want to call it option as well as a 'traditional service' is really no better than the outright vanities. I can't think of any good publishers that offer both, it's always considered a bad move. And it's usually vanities or inexperienced publishers who use the 'traditional' label. Very few ever qualify for the 'traditional' option, and even when you do distribution usually isn't much. Being listed on sites like Amazon only means you have an ISBN number; it doesn't equate to bookstore placement. The fact that they try to publish so much also is a bit of a flag.

With good publishers, your story is either worth the investment or it isn't. There are a plethora of other good publishers that are probably far better to be querying than these guys, and there are reputable self-publishing places if you decide you want to go that way.

victoriastrauss

Writer Beware Goddess
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.victoriastrauss.com
The promise of a "traditional" publishing service alongside a vanity publishing service is often just a marketing ploy to make writers feel the publisher is more reputable. In fact, the only contracts offered are vanity contracts.

- Victoria

jim baugh

Registered
Reaction score
Hi There!
I would be interested in knowing how your meeting went with Brandlane Pub. Did they offer a traditional pub deal or sub \ van.
Thanks for any info.
Jim B

DreamWeaver

Shakespearean Fool
Registered
Reaction score
Jim, welcome to AW. Sorry, but since Novagem's last post to the site was in Feb 2009, they are unlikely to answer you. On the other hand, you've bumped this old thread back up into the active area, so it's possible someone with more current experience may answer.

Good luck!

jim baugh

Registered
Reaction score
Met with them

Thanks! Sorry, I did not notice the date.
I met with Bradylane recently in Richmond about my manuscript. Nice people, very professional and they have a nice office in one of Richmond’s historic areas.

The publisher has a lot of experience in both mag and books. Seems to me that they do a fair amount of subsidy projects yet they will also do traditional pub deals depending on what is best for everyone involved in the project. Sounds fair to me.

Our project is not a subsidy book, however we are doing a lot of co-op marketing with the project.

We have not signed yet with a pub, but do have two offers on the table that are fair and we would accept. I personally just wanted to deal with a pub that was in my state so it would make meetings easier, etc. Bradylane was one of the first pubs I contacted.

I don’t know yet if we will end up with Brandylane, I would like to because of their location and they do seem to be some quality folks.

Weather you are looking for a sub or traditional press, I certainly would contact them.

Anyway, whatever we end up doing we will shoot out a press release and post here.

Thanks!!
Jim Baugh
Jim Baugh Outdoors TV
www.jimbaughoutdoors.com