Status
Not open for further replies.

tehuti88

Mackinac Island Fanatic
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.inkspot.com
Of course everyone has the right to express an opinion on something, though never with sarcasm, but I still think it odd that someone who states that they choose NOT to practice a particular activity then chooses to express rather a negative opinion on said activity.

This is the second time in these forums where, after I've said why I don't do something and then give my reasons why I don't, I've had my motives questioned, like if someone doesn't do something then they have no right to have reasons why they prefer not to do it. (The last time it was a type of fiction I prefer not to read--how dare I have a negative opinion on said fiction when I don't read it, someone asked?--well, I tried reading it once, and even if I didn't, I can still have a valid reason why I don't want to read it. Same here.)

I find this viewpoint terribly perplexing. My (personally) negative opinion on books on tape is the reason why I don't use them, so it seemed pertinent to the conversation and that's why I gave it. I prefer not to use them for such-and-such a reason, that's all. I really don't see what's odd about giving my reasons for not using them, as everyone else gave their reasons for using them, but...I guess I'm just naive that way. :Shrug:

And not to worry, I will no longer derail this thread as I already gave my reasoning. Books on tape are great for the people who have need of them, it's just that I myself don't. And there's nothing wrong with that. Sorry if I made it seem like I find them worthless, even though I don't see how I gave that impression.

Apologies to the original poster as well, I just get irked when misunderstood.

writingislife

Registered
Reaction score
For what it is worth, I wasnt looking for opinions for just being FOR BOT. I was simply looking for opinions. I didnt mean to get an argument started with such a simple question. Cmon, now guys...everyone has an opinion and from what my philosophy instructor always said, opinions are NEVER wrong.

Thanks for the replies in favor of and NOT in favor of BOT. I value all of your opinions.

alleycat

Waiting for Godot
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
By the way, I notice you have a Jack London quote in your signature. Some of London's stories are on tape, and are done reasonably well. If you like, I can find which versions I've listened to and could recommend.

alleycat

Waiting for Godot
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
These are some I can recommend:

The Call of the Wild. Narrated by Frank Muller. Produced by Recorded Books.

The Sea Wolf. Narrated by Frank Muller. Produced by Recorded Books.

The World of Jack London: a Collection of Stories. Narrated by Frank Muller. Produced by Recorded Books.

White Fang. Narrated by Norman Dietz. Produced by Recorded Books.

Frank Muller is one of the best narrators in the business (or was; he had a motorcycle accident a few years ago and I don't believe he narrates books any more). Recorded Book is one of the top imprints for BOT's, along with Books-On-Tape, Inc. Norman Dietz is not quite as good a narrator as Muller; he has sort of an "old timey" voice, but he still does a reasonably good job of narrating. Dietz often narrates western stories.

Status
Not open for further replies.