Australian fires

brokenfingers

Walkin' That Road
Registered
Reaction score
I find no humor in this horrific event.
Neither do I and I’m not laughing at that. Neither do I see anybody else here doing that. We’re laughing, despite our feelings of sorrow at the situation in Australia, at the misperceptions that can take hold concerning different cultures.

Humor as a way of dealing with tragedy is an inherent human trait and a vital part of the human condition.

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
Neither do I and I’m not laughing at that. Neither do I see anybody else here doing that. We’re laughing, despite our feelings of sorrow at the situation in Australia, at the misperceptions that can take hold concerning different cultures.

Humor as a way of dealing with tragedy is an inherent human trait and a vital part of the human condition.

yeah, yeah...I wasn't really saying that people had to see it my way...I'm just not laughing at the moment because having just heard the report I'm stunned silent by the horror of people dying in their cars. Have at it.

poetinahat

say it loud
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Bitter irony nominee:

Firefighter's home burns down while he's out in the field. His family dies in the blaze.

Death toll's going to be over 200.

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
Audtralia is one ferociously sun-scorched nation. A couple million square miles of dry kindling, interspersed with stretches of desert.

And don't forget PEOPLE. It is a nation of people.

Monkey

Is me.
Registered
Reaction score
Death toll at 171 and counting.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/29067017/

There are some truly fascinating stories of survival.

[A] woman sheltered with her children in a wombat burrow as the worst of the fire passed.

Elsewhere in Kinglake, Jack Barber fled just ahead of the flames with his wife and a neighbor, driving in two cars packed with birth certificates, insurance documents, two cats, four kittens and a dog. "We had a fire plan," he said Monday. "The plan was to get the hell out of there before the flames came."

Their escape route blocked by downed power lines and a tree, they took shelter first at a school, then — when that burned — in an exposed cricket ground ringed by trees, where they found five others.

"All around us was 100-foot flames ringing the oval, and we ran where the wind wasn't. It was swirling all over the place," Barber said. "For three hours, we dodged the wind."

I keep typing and erasing. This is just too much, too sad.

But Aussies are strong.

Go Aussies!

cooeedownunder

Grateful for the day
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.australianflavour.net
Death toll at 171 and counting.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/29067017/

There are some truly fascinating stories of survival.

I keep typing and erasing. This is just too much, too sad.

But Aussies are strong.

Go Aussies!

The fire that claimed one town moved at 120klms an hour. What was miles away, took only moments to arrive.

ErylRavenwell

Banned
Reaction score
I just listened to a CBC Radio Canada report on the fires. People being trapped in cars and being burned alive. It's horrific. They have a man and a 15 year-old boy in custody...they are suspected arsonists. They think they may have set some fires. The report said whole neighbourhoods have burned down and that they are finding bodies in the burn-out. 130 so far, I believe, but they are expecting to find more. It's so tragic.

I find no humor in this horrific event. Burned alive in their cars.

No disrespect meant to the dead. But ours is a doughty race with a strong sense of justice. We understand that disasters happen and we'll group together to rebuild and help the unfortunates. It's unlike us to incessantly mourn and whine over misfortunes.

May the dead rest in peace. I understand for some humour is impossible in this situation.

Last edited:

Joe270

Banned
Reaction score
No disrespect meant to the dead. But ours is a doughty race with a strong sense of justice. We understand that disasters happen and we'll group together to rebuild and help the unfortunates. It's unlike us to incessantly mourn and whine over misfortunes.

May the dead rest in peace. I understand for some humour is impossible in this situation.

This, too, shall pass. In the meantime, I'll keep Australia and Australians in my prayers.

When it's over, there will be time for justice.

cooeedownunder

Grateful for the day
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
This, too, shall pass. In the meantime, I'll keep Australia and Australians in my prayers.

When it's over, there will be time for justice.

Yes, at this stage bodies have not been buried, and many won't be for a long time. It is hard to think of punishing others, when so many people are currently being punished purely because of location and circumstances. Enough anger will rise from within many people in the next few days, and hopefully justic will be served.

The two fellows who have been caught - they are for different fires that at this stage have caused no deaths.

btw joe, have you packed your bags yet?

Joe270

Banned
Reaction score
btw joe, have you packed your bags yet?

If I had the time and money, I'd be there already. You live in an amazing country and continent. It might be a dark time, but you have much to be grateful for in the natural and unique beauty of Australia.

John Paton

carn the mighty hawks !!
Registered
Reaction score
the sporting capital of the world. Oh! That's Melb
Joe you are always welcome in my place.. anytime ;)

I have spoken to so many ppl of incredible tales of survival and will share at some stage but pretty busy with one thing and another.

I keep on thinking terrorist .. I hope to God I am totally wrong .... but it is very very easy to start fires .....

One tree can make a million matches but one match can destroy a million trees. I wrote that in the late 60s and it comes to mind now.

cooeedownunder

Grateful for the day
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
If I had the time and money, I'd be there already. You live in an amazing country and continent. It might be a dark time, but you have much to be grateful for in the natural and unique beauty of Australia.

We do have much to be grateful for...and I guess one of them is that this at the end of the day could have actually been worst then it has been, although that is a bit beyond my comphension at the moment and I am sure beyond those directly affected by it all.

Cheers joe

cooeedownunder

Grateful for the day
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Joe you are always welcome in my place.. anytime ;)

I have spoken to so many ppl of incredible tales of survival and will share at some stage but pretty busy with one thing and another.

I keep on thinking terrorist .. I hope to God I am totally wrong .... but it is very very easy to start fires .....

One tree can make a million matches but one match can destroy a million trees. I wrote that in the late 60s and it comes to mind now.

I have heard the terrorist suggestion also, and yes, lets hope it is not that easy for us to be terrosied by all that we fear. I think in the next few weeks we should concentrate on the good stories, as the sad ones have almost become unbearable.

julie thorpe

Registered
Reaction score
My two daughters and their families live in Canberra. When the fires struck there a few years ago I had a call - I was at that time in New Zealand- from my daughter to say they had been ordered to evacuate, and no-one knew where my other daughter was (she wasn't answering her cellphone). So for several desperate hours we awaited another call. When it came, we were relieved: the missing daughter had been out of town on a photo shoot and knew nothing about the fires. As for the other daughter, their house had escaped unscathed while those of neighbours were damaged or destroyed (including the home of their landlord, a close friend).

We have lately returned to Europe from a marvellous month spent in Australia. My heart is bleeding even as I feel a guilty relief that this time, it wasn't my family at risk. . .

cooeedownunder

Grateful for the day
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
My two daughters and their families live in Canberra. When the fires struck there a few years ago I had a call - I was at that time in New Zealand- from my daughter to say they had been ordered to evacuate, and no-one knew where my other daughter was (she wasn't answering her cellphone). So for several desperate hours we awaited another call. When it came, we were relieved: the missing daughter had been out of town on a photo shoot and knew nothing about the fires. As for the other daughter, their house had escaped unscathed while those of neighbours were damaged or destroyed (including the home of their landlord, a close friend).

We have lately returned to Europe from a marvellous month spent in Australia. My heart is bleeding even as I feel a guilty relief that this time, it wasn't my family at risk. . .

:Hug2:

Goodchild

Screaming Audio Terror
Registered
Reaction score
Scunthorpe, UK. "The industrial garden town of th
Website
theycallmepotato.blogspot.com
I feel horrible for the people involved in this - I lived in Oz when I was younger, and saw the level of damage bushfires can do. They used to get started in the bush surrounding my school, and they'd almost get out of control - I can't understand the people that start them, especially when they *know* how fast and far they can spread. I hope they catch the scumbags who started (all of? part of?) these ones and throw away the bloody key.

edit: and this will probably be the angriest post I ever make on here, unless someone nicks all the 80's horror movies currently badly hidden in my garage.

cooeedownunder

Grateful for the day
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
I feel horrible for the people involved in this - I lived in Oz when I was younger, and saw the level of damage bushfires can do. They used to get started in the bush surrounding my school, and they'd almost get out of control - I can't understand the people that start them, especially when they *know* how fast and far they can spread. I hope they catch the scumbags who started (all of? part of?) these ones and throw away the bloody key.

edit: and this will probably be the angriest post I ever make on here, unless someone nicks all the 80's horror movies currently badly hidden in my garage.

yes, it would be most horrific way to spend your last moments. The news has just reported that a town in Victoria is currently being evaculated and that the death toll is expected to reach at least 300 now - currently confirmed 181