Question about Post Civil War Soldiers

comradebunny

"It *is* the rabbitt!"
Registered
Reaction score
The setting is Fort Buford in North Dakota after the Civil War and deals with Sitting Bull's surrender.

On the first day Sitting Bull and his group arrived at Fort Buford, all warriors except Sitting Bull surrendered their weapons. The official surrender took place on he following day. Sitting Bull handed his rifle to his son who then surrendered it to the soldiers. Would the soldiers posted there dress/act differently during an informal surrender as opposed to a formal surrender (ex. unbuttoned uniforms vs. buttoned uniforms)? What would be the common practice of the time?

Puma

Retired and loving it!
Registered
Reaction score
I'm not an expert, but all the photos I've seen (and representations) from the time period show "properly dressed" soldiers. You might want to send a pm to Cav Guy (one of the western forum guys) who's well versed on the period (and is from Montana).

It's odd, but I swear someone else posted about this same incident within the past year - possibly on the western forum. You might want to do some checking and see if someone else is working on the period/incident - possibly with a post in western genre right below historical. Puma