Pelosi dismisses bipartisanship calls

Robert Toy

FOB and Slayer of windmills
Registered
Reaction score
In a statement sure to rile Republicans, House Speaker Nancy Pelosi Friday dismissed calls for bipartisanship as “process” arguments extraneous to passing a stimulus bill — and warned Senate Democrats against slashing proposed increases to education spending.

Pelosi — speaking to reporters on the second day of her retreat with House Democrats at a swank Williamsburg, Va., golf resort — was clearly annoyed with Senate attempts to slash up to $100 billion in spending from the $819 billion package the House passed last week.

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0209/18514.html

gotta love that woman

MattW

Company Man
Registered
Reaction score
She's delusional, and a product of the opposition generation of Democrats. No idea how to be collaborative, what's relevant, or be a leader for that matter.

She's a liability Obama cannot afford to let loose too much, or she'll run over his platform and use his popularity to do it.

Monkey

Is me.
Registered
Reaction score
And yet, they've reached an agreement.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/29050187

Sen. Ben Nelson, D-Neb., said the agreement was a bipartisan effort and cited the work of Collins and Specter.

"We trimmed the fat, fried the bacon and milked the sacred cows," Nelson said. He said the compromise included $350 billion in tax cuts that would reach 95 percent of all Americans.

Collins said negotiators cut more than $110 billion in "unnecessary spending" in the compromise package.

"Is it perfect? No. Every compromise reflects choices that are necessary to bring people together," she said.

Specter said he supported the deal even though parts of it "give me heartburn."

Joe270

Banned
Reaction score
Pelosi and Reid are a real danger to Obama. They can make a train wreck of his Presidency by fostering ill will amoung conservatives and the GOP. He needs to find a way to get them to shut their yaps.

That idiot Limbaugh is no threat to Obama, IMHO, but these two need to go, and soon.

I promise to do my part in Vegas.

brokenfingers

Walkin' That Road
Registered
Reaction score
I agree with all of the above.

Partisan politics are part of the problem with government and if Obama does not rein that aspect of his party in, then he will surely go down the same path as Bush.

People want a leader who speaks for all, and has the concerns of the nation as a whole at heart, not some idealogue intent on promoting some narrow agenda.

Enough with the bullshit, Washington. It's not about Conservatives and Liberals, or Democrats and Republicans - but about Americans, as a whole, working together and each doing their part for the good of the nation.

nighttimer

No Gods No Masters
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
In a statement sure to rile Republicans, House Speaker Nancy Pelosi Friday dismissed calls for bipartisanship as “process” arguments extraneous to passing a stimulus bill — and warned Senate Democrats against slashing proposed increases to education spending.

When not one single Republican in the House voted for the stimulus bill, perhaps Speaker Pelosi has reached the correct conclusion that "bipartisanship" means both sides have to want it.

Last edited:

Robert Toy

FOB and Slayer of windmills
Registered
Reaction score
When not one single Republican in the House voted for the stimulus bill, perhaps Speaker Pelosi has reached the correct conclusion that "bipartisanship" means both sides have to want it.
Don't forget a few Dems as well.

nighttimer

No Gods No Masters
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Don't forget a few Dems as well.

Blue Dog Democrats representing conservative districts in the South are expected to vote more like Republicans.

It hardly excuses Republicans from their refusal to take part of the process in the House.

cethklein

Registered
Reaction score
She's delusional, and a product of the opposition generation of Democrats. No idea how to be collaborative, what's relevant, or be a leader for that matter.

She's a liability Obama cannot afford to let loose too much, or she'll run over his platform and use his popularity to do it.

Exactly. Pelosi is a pimple on Obama's (and America's) ass as far as I'm concerned. It's a shame because in a sense, she's got more actual power than he does right now. What makes it even worse is the fact that she may well be the most inept Speaker of the House in the last 50 years. She's been a dismal failure since she took over the position. Think about it, when you hear women talk about inspirational women, you hear them talk about Hillary Clinton or Condi Rice, but never Nancy Pelosi. Can you blame them? I can't.

Dillusional may be too kind a word for her. Bat-shit may be closer to the mark. This woman only seems to care about herself and her own agenda. Even by politician standaards.

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
What makes it even worse is the fact that she may well be the most inept Speaker of the House in the last 50 years.

Please don't so casually dismiss Dennis Hastert. Shudder along with me, please.

But Pelosi has been a horrid disappointment, to say the least. Obama is going to have some work to do to influence re-organization of his party's leadership of the Legislative Branch. Reid is an equal horror, not so disappointing only because I never expected much out of him; can't for the life of me figure out how he won the Senate leadership post. Durbin and Harken come to mind quickly as potential replacements.

Then again, this isn't much different from what Bush had to work with, when he started out with Hastert and Lott, as I recall. And remember, Republicans now have John Boener as House minority leader. Gaaaaaaaaaaaah.

caw

Last edited:

Joe270

Banned
Reaction score
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe270
I promise to do my part in Vegas.

More details, please.

I have one vote, at the least. I might just get out and campaign for the other guy/gal. I'll keep ya posted.

MattW

Company Man
Registered
Reaction score
Obama is going to have some work to do to influence re-organization of his party's leadership of the Legislative Branch.
I wonder how long it will take for him to realize he doesn't have to stick with the hand he is dealt, or to give positions to people who are "due." He's the leader of not only the country, but the Democrat party - Obama can set the tone and the agenda, and he is allowed to disagree with other party "leaders."

brokenfingers

Walkin' That Road
Registered
Reaction score
I wonder how long it will take for him to realize he doesn't have to stick with the hand he is dealt, or to give positions to people who are "due." He's the leader of not only the country, but the Democrat party - Obama can set the tone and the agenda, and he is allowed to disagree with other party "leaders."
True, but there are also a lot of things that go on behind the scenes in politics (as in any human organization.) Debts must be paid and loyalty acknowledged.

Remember last summer and fall there was a massive drive to sway many of these same democratic party members and superdelegates. So now his hands may be tied in many ways.

I'm wondering if that's the root of Pelosi's influence and power now. She promised the votes needed at the convention AND delivered. It sure can't be due to her efficiency and leadership skills.