• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

[Publisher] Press 53

Blueridge

Registered
Reaction score
I have not had any dealings with them, but they seem to be a reputable small publisher here in North Carolina. Some of the authors they have published are known and respectable writers here in NC.

I don't see red flags. I think they are operating on a shoestring. I don't think it is uncommon for small publishers to expect authors to contribute substantially to marketing.

M.R.J. Le Blanc

aka Sadistic Mistress Mi-chan
Registered
Reaction score
Nothing wrong with contributing to marketing, but I think even the majority of small publishers manage to do a substantial amount of marketing themselves. Press 53 seems to rely almost (if not completely) on the author. They sound like they might be more a micropress?

Nandi

Registered
Reaction score
Nothing wrong with contributing to marketing, but I think even the majority of small publishers manage to do a substantial amount of marketing themselves. Press 53 seems to rely almost (if not completely) on the author. They sound like they might be more a micropress?
What is a micropress, and how does it differ from a small indie?

M.R.J. Le Blanc

aka Sadistic Mistress Mi-chan
Registered
Reaction score
What is a micropress, and how does it differ from a small indie?

Micropresses are even smaller than small presses, and have less ability to distribute and market your book. Small presses don't have the budgets of med or large ones, but they still manage to do a fair bit of promotion. Micropresses don't.

Nandi

Registered
Reaction score
Micropresses are even smaller than small presses, and have less ability to distribute and market your book. Small presses don't have the budgets of med or large ones, but they still manage to do a fair bit of promotion. Micropresses don't.
Oh, I see. Thanks!

allenparker

Naked Futon Guy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.allenparker.net
yes and no

Micro presses are smaller than small presses. They usually tend to target a smaller audience than would be profitable for most publishers.

For even a micro press to succeed, they have to do promotion. Some promote to their authors, placing them in the vanity press market. Others know how to market to their niche customers.

Micro publishers often use non-conforming methods to sell books. Some will filter into bookstores. Most will have a niche market to tap through industry magazines, newspapers, or other publications where the niche goes for information. They may also target conventions, conferences, and speaking engagements. Sales will not equal typical commercial ventures, but success can be achieved on a smaller scale.

No matter the size of your publisher, they should know how to sell your books. Otherwise, why not self publish?