The AW Amazon Store
Buy Books by AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Thread: [Publisher] Press 53

practical experience, FTW Nandi's Avatar

[Publisher] Press 53

Has anyone had any dealings with this small, independent publisher?
    http://www.press53.com/

And has anyone had experience with their yearly contest?

Extreme emphasis on self-promotion and marketing. More than I've ever seen. In short, as an author, what can you do for them. Nothing about how they can distribute or get your books out there. For me, huge red flags. What about genre fiction?

Tri

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin Blueridge's Avatar
    I have not had any dealings with them, but they seem to be a reputable small publisher here in North Carolina. Some of the authors they have published are known and respectable writers here in NC.

I don't see red flags. I think they are operating on a shoestring. I don't think it is uncommon for small publishers to expect authors to contribute substantially to marketing.

aka Sadistic Mistress Mi-chan M.R.J. Le Blanc's Avatar
    Nothing wrong with contributing to marketing, but I think even the majority of small publishers manage to do a substantial amount of marketing themselves. Press 53 seems to rely almost (if not completely) on the author. They sound like they might be more a micropress?
    Follow me on my Blog
    I'm also on Facebook
    I have a Dragon Cave

Quote Originally Posted by M.R.J. Le Blanc View Post
    Nothing wrong with contributing to marketing, but I think even the majority of small publishers manage to do a substantial amount of marketing themselves. Press 53 seems to rely almost (if not completely) on the author. They sound like they might be more a micropress?
    What is a micropress, and how does it differ from a small indie?

aka Sadistic Mistress Mi-chan M.R.J. Le Blanc's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Nandi View Post
    What is a micropress, and how does it differ from a small indie?
    Micropresses are even smaller than small presses, and have less ability to distribute and market your book. Small presses don't have the budgets of med or large ones, but they still manage to do a fair bit of promotion. Micropresses don't.
    Follow me on my Blog
    I'm also on Facebook
    I have a Dragon Cave

Micropresses are even smaller than small presses, and have less ability to distribute and market your book. Small presses don't have the budgets of med or large ones, but they still manage to do a fair bit of promotion. Micropresses don't.
    Oh, I see. Thanks!

yes and no

Micro presses are smaller than small presses. They usually tend to target a smaller audience than would be profitable for most publishers.

For even a micro press to succeed, they have to do promotion. Some promote to their authors, placing them in the vanity press market. Others know how to market to their niche customers.

Micro publishers often use non-conforming methods to sell books. Some will filter into bookstores. Most will have a niche market to tap through industry magazines, newspapers, or other publications where the niche goes for information. They may also target conventions, conferences, and speaking engagements. Sales will not equal typical commercial ventures, but success can be achieved on a smaller scale.

No matter the size of your publisher, they should know how to sell your books. Otherwise, why not self publish?
    Save the Tatas: This is important. Please forward the link to everyone you know!
    link Breast cancer sucks!
    My Web Space