Delacorte Yearling Contest

Penguinscribe

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you both Miley and Craig for the replies. I keep thinking at this point no news is good news. So hopefully it'll all work out great. Cheers.

momofnine

Registered
Reaction score
Recently I submitted another manuscript to a publisher and automatically put two first class stamps on my SASE. Aha! How did I ever forget? I've been doing this automatically for years. Now that I know that my SASE had adequate postage I'm wondering why I still haven't gotten my rejection from this contest. I submitted my manuscript on the eighth of April. Has anyone heard anything at all?

craig_everett

Registered
Reaction score
I now know one person on another message board who received a rejection from the Delacorte MG contest this week. At least we know that they are sending them out.

Craig

GirlwiththeBraids

Chillax! It's just me.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.readingtomyself.blogspot.com
I just got my rejection letter from the contest this morning. It was kind of depressing but I have a few other publishers I've decided I like better. I want to submit the one I wrote that Delacorte rejected to Walker Young Readers (a division of Bloomsbury). I think you guys should do the same! They take unsolicited works of the young adult/children realistic fiction genre. :)

momofnine

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you for the information regarding Walker Young Readers. I've recently sent my second middle grade novel to Milkweed Editions which also accepts unagented, unsolicited manuscripts. I still haven't received a rejection of my first middle grade novel from Delacorte, but I'm sure it's just a matter of time before I do.

craig_everett

Registered
Reaction score
Anybody heard anything? They're supposed to post the winner on Saturday. I'm thinking that is unlikely though. I know too many people who haven't heard anything yet, so my guess is that they're behind schedule.

Craig

Mileyrox

Registered
Reaction score
I'm sure they're behind schedule and won't post anything for a few weeks. 2 years ago they called the winner in mid-November. Plus, the contest rules say "on or about" 10/30.

Penguinscribe

Registered
Reaction score
I just wanted to thank everyone for the constant updates. It helps greatly to know if people have heard back or not. Like me, I'm sure everyone worries about every little 'mistake' or possible 'wrong thing' along the way to the point of obsession. I would assume the contest will be decided and posted in mid-November and am still holding out hope that no news is good news.

Cheers

miggle

Registered
Reaction score
I sent in a manuscript also. So if I'm reading this right, no response means there is still a shred of a chance. Has anyone heard anything more? I'm hoping!

Smish

Reads more than she writes.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I didn't participate in this contest, but I did read on another forum that someone contacted Delacorte and was told they anticipate making an announcement by December 15th. It's apparently taking longer to get through manuscripts this year.

Good luck to all of you. :)

JamesWCraig1959

Registered
Reaction score
I submitted on the deadline and haven't heard anything so far. Let's stay in contact so we can keep tabs on this. Thanks to all for posting!

PVish

Cat hair collector
Registered
Reaction score
Website
peevishpen.blogspot.com
I just got my rejection letter from the contest this morning. It was kind of depressing but I have a few other publishers I've decided I like better. I want to submit the one I wrote that Delacorte rejected to Walker Young Readers (a division of Bloomsbury). I think you guys should do the same! They take unsolicited works of the young adult/children realistic fiction genre. :)

According to Bloomsbury's submission guidelines for kids:
As of October 1, 2006, Bloomsbury Children's Books will no longer be responding to unsolicited manuscripts or art submissions. Please include a telephone AND email address where we may contact you if we are interested in your work. Do NOT send a self-addressed stamped envelope.

Any submission postmarked AFTER October 1 will not receive a response, even if a SASE is enclosed. Any submission postmarked BEFORE October 1 will still receive a response.

We regret the inconvenience, but unfortunately, we are too understaffed to maintain a correspondence with authors. We will continue to accept unsolicited manuscripts because we believe in the policy, but we can contact you ONLY if we are interested in acquiring you

Does anyone know how long the wait is before acceptance?

Penguinscribe

Registered
Reaction score
Sorry to hear, James and PVish. Still haven't heard and chomping at the bit. Didn't think much of it until after we passed the Oct 30th deadline and now it's killing me...a little....:p

mbroadway

Owned a Monkey — Once
Registered
Reaction score
Don't they have another contest that end December 31st?
I think it's their YA version.

I could be wrong.

miggle

Registered
Reaction score
Im still hanging in there. Anyone else out there? Can't take the suspense! Just get on with it, reject or :)