• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Headline Accent (formerly Accent Press ) / Xcite Books / Octavo Publishing

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Accent Press is a well-regarded independent press in the UK, which publishes a couple of writers I sort-of know. They're enthusiastic about their publisher, as are several other people I've spoken to about them. I subscribe to Accent's email newsletter: it's useful, and fun.

Accent Press has an erotica imprint called Xcite Books, and I've just received the following email from them:

Xtra Publishing Service

Fast-track your writing career!

Xcite Xtras Service – Fast-Track Your Erotic Writing Career

[FONT=Georgia,serif]Xcite Books has an excellent reputation for producing quality erotic fiction, however we can only publish a tiny fraction of the number of manuscripts we receive. We are now offering a service that enables writers to fast-track their writing careers by financially supporting the publication and promotion of their books. [/FONT]

[FONT=Georgia,serif][FONT=Georgia,serif]Xcite Xtras offers a unique service that can pitch your book to an international market of customers and publishers. They will be represented at International Book Fairs, opening the doors to foreign rights sales and the possibility of Film and TV options. [/FONT]​

[FONT=Georgia,serif]We will enable you to exploit all potential revenue streams by offering your book in paperback, e-book and audio formats. [/FONT]​

[FONT=Georgia,serif]Xtras books are associated with an established brand and will be produced to the highest trade standards. [/FONT]​

[FONT=Georgia,serif]Why should I pay to publish my book? [/FONT]​

[FONT=Georgia,serif]This scheme offers you a way to fast-track your writing career. Having a book published gives you credibility and enhances your writing CV, plus you can start earning money on sales and royalties. Please CLICK HERE for more information.[/FONT][/FONT]

[FONT=Georgia,serif]Discuss. [/FONT]

(I can't seem to get the widths right on this post--could a mod who knows better than I do sort it out so it's not quite so wide?)

Last edited:

Anna Magdalena

Your friendly cynic
Registered
Reaction score
Website
theelephantinthewritingroom.blogspot.com
"This scheme offers you a way to fast-track your writing career. Having a book published gives you credibility and enhances your writing CV, plus you can start earning money on sales and royalties.

Is there no end to this kind of thing and these kind of lies? I'm disappointed in Accent Press. I used to think highly of them.

gothicangel

Toughen up.
Registered
Reaction score
Well I'm gobsmacked . . .

. . . or maybe not; I entered a comp with them last year and they've been sending me unsolicited emails ever since.

priceless1

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.behlerpublications.com
Xcite Books has an excellent reputation for producing quality erotic fiction, however we can only publish a tiny fraction of the number of manuscripts we receive. We are now offering a service that enables writers to fast-track their writing careers by financially supporting the publication and promotion of their books.
The only reason I see someone offering a vanity arm is that they need capital.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Based on this email, I'm likely to change my opinion of Accent. It's not looking good, is it?

victoriastrauss

Writer Beware Goddess
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.victoriastrauss.com
Honestly, I think that we may all have to learn to live with this kind of thing. In these economically difficult times, with all kinds of businesses panicky about surviving, you can just about understand that publishers are taking note of the huge growth in the pay-to-publish business, which seems so far to be immune to the problems other businesses are suffering, and seeing it as a way of supporting their legitimate publishing activities, or maybe of just getting in on the gravy train. I think we're going to see more of this.

Change happens, especially in a tight market. Six or eight years ago, it was a warning sign if a literary agency billed submission expense out-of-pocket prior to a sale, but now this is common practice among successful agencies.

For the record, I think this sucks--IMO, it's a HUGE conflict of interest for a publisher to engage in pay-to-publish or pay-to-market activities. I'd still place a red caution flag beside any publisher that does this. But I have a sinking feeling that five years from now, this kind of thing may be so common that it's no longer red-flag material.

I hope I'm wrong.

- Victoria

Last edited:

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
I hope you're wrong too, Victoria, but I share your concerns about this.

Anna Magdalena

Your friendly cynic
Registered
Reaction score
Website
theelephantinthewritingroom.blogspot.com
If this is going to happen more in the future, I can't say I'd be happy but I would be more likely to accept it IF such publishers would only stop telling writers it could fast-track their career, increase their credibility or make them money.

JulieB

I grow my own catnip
Registered
Reaction score
If this is going to happen more in the future, I can't say I'd be happy but I would be more likely to accept it IF such publishers would only stop telling writers it could fast-track their career, increase their credibility or make them money.

I'm with you on that.

Putting my writer hat off and donning my reader hat, if I knew that someone had paid to have their book "fast tracked," I'd probably pass on reading.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Speaking with my business hat on, rather than my writing hat on, there is a way that reputable publishers could be involved in a self-publishing service with no conflict of interest at all... it could be done ethically and sensibly, and earn brownie points for all concerned. And it could make a lot of money, please the authors concerned, AND help spoil the field for exploitative vanity publishers along the way.

I might just blog about it.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Yes, but you love me for it!

I'd post more here, but need to let my thoughts coalesce (sp?) a little first. Give me time.

gothicangel

Toughen up.
Registered
Reaction score
I think I know what you're getting at Old Hack.

Benefit from the services and expertise of a qualified publisher; but the writer takes on the financial burden?

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Not exactly. No cost to the writer, but profit for the publisher.

Ignore what I've said, but remind me by email if I've not blogged about this in the next couple of weeks (you have my address, I think).

I'm sorry to be mysterious about this, but I want to get it right before I say anything more. Meanwhile, if the mods want to delete this I won't be offended.

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
If that's the case, I might as well just give up querying agents and set up my own publishing business with Lulu. (Probably won't, though. I've got the marketing skills of a flounder. Now. If I had the mad marketing skillz of a trout, I'd be set.)

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Ben, don't be quite so modest. While your marketing skillz might only equal those of a flounder your blagging skillz equal those of a skate. You're knots ahead. Honest.

brainstorm77

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Bumping this thread to see if there is anything new on this publisher?

Chris Graham

Banned
Reaction score
Yeah... likewise. I was considering submitting to them as they take direct submissions, but I'm a cagey bugger, and I don't trust many businesses to not have their own interests at heart.

gingerwoman

Registered
Reaction score
"This scheme offers you a way to fast-track your writing career. Having a book published gives you credibility and enhances your writing CV, plus you can start earning money on sales and royalties.

Is there no end to this kind of thing and these kind of lies? I'm disappointed in Accent Press. I used to think highly of them.
This is already causing confusion. I came across a blog today that had the wrong idea about what Xcite books was because of this.

Last edited:

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
This is already causing confusion. I came across a blog today that had the wrong idea about what Xcite books was because of this.

Ginger, I'm not sure what you're referring to. Did the blog post you refer to refer specifically to the post you quoted, or were you referring to this whole thread?

I also wonder if you realise that the post you quoted is four years old, and that the situation at Xcite books might well have changed since this discussion was started and the comment you quoted was made. I don't know: I've not checked. But it's not common for publishers to start out with a dubious business model and significantly improve for the better.

Perhaps you could clarify.

gingerwoman

Registered
Reaction score
I came across a blog that was saying Xcite authors paid which I know is not true. Maybe there is an Xtras pay to publish line that is separate now or maybe they got rid of it I don't know, but the blog was wrong as it was insinuating that all Xcite books were ones where authors paid which I know for a fact is NOT true at all.
I've only ever submitted one short story to Xcite books back in 2006 I only got a cautious acceptance letter from the editor, and then a polite apologetic email saying my story had been thrown out of the anthology by the marketing department and replaced with another.

To add to the info on Xcite books I will also say that while I still get emails from them inviting me to submit.I have never had emails suggesting any kind of fees, I personally have never received the email Old Hack got.
I just hadn't heard about any pay to publish arm until now. So I've had Xcite books on my list of potential places to submit to, because I know authors who are happy with sales there.

Last edited:

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
There's no need to apologise, Ginger, and your clarification was helpful.

It's possible, then, that Xcite has now stopped charging authors, and is instead paying them. That's good, and we wouldn't have known it if you'd not stepped in. Thanks for the update.

gingerwoman

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you. Well in your 2009 post in this thread Old Hack you quoted the following. "[FONT=Georgia,serif]Xcite Books has an excellent reputation for producing quality erotic fiction, however we can only publish a tiny fraction of the number of manuscripts we receive. We are now offering a service---[/FONT][FONT=Georgia,serif][FONT=Georgia,serif]Xcite Xtras"
So I'm think maybe it was like what Harlequin did (also in 2009) when they opened "Harlequin Horizons" (later the name changed to
[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Georgia,serif][FONT=Georgia,serif]DellArte Press ) which was an attempt to turn the overflow of unwanted unpolished manuscripts into cash by establishing a vanity/subsidy press out of them.
We saw with Harlequin Horizons that they changed the name to DellArte because authors got upset at the muddying of the brand. But I believe Xcite itself always paid authors, but like most good presses only accepted about 4-% of what was sent.
I think maybe the Xtras service does not exist any more since I can't find anything about it on google right now.
[/FONT][/FONT]

Last edited:

firedrake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I am very interested to see how professional this publisher is, given that they have recently published a book which is clear breach of my copyright. The book is a fairly blatant copy of a free story I wrote for the GR M/M Romance Group 'Love is Always Write' event last summer. The author even used my pen name for one of the main characters.

I have written to them and they responded very promptly. The book has been temporarily withdrawn from sale while they investigate.