Foreign Author Published in U.S.?

Status
Not open for further replies.

theholotrope

Registered
Reaction score
Hi! Pretty new to the forum, but what a forum it is!

I'd like to know a little about getting published in the U.S. even if you are not a resident. Is this a problem? Is it as "easy" as getting published if you are a resident or are there many more obstacles?

Same question for getting an agent.

Thanks!

Greenify13

Fair Maiden of War.
Registered
Reaction score
:welcome: theholotrope!
I apologize, I do not have the answers you seek. However someone here will most likely, and I hope someone sends you in the right direction for answers...I hope you find all the
answers you seek!
I hope you enjoy your time here. And to help you enjoy it even more, I would suggest visiting us at Jed's Super-Dooper Newbie 'Traditional Irish Pub' thread . We have cookies, breakfast, drinks, karaoke, and good natured fun!

~Christine

jvc

Fearsome Dragon Mod
Registered
Reaction score
Hi! Pretty new to the forum, but what a forum it is!

I'd like to know a little about getting published in the U.S. even if you are not a resident. Is this a problem? Is it as "easy" as getting published if you are a resident or are there many more obstacles?

Same question for getting an agent.

Thanks!
I'm moving this over the Roundtable forum, you may get a better response there. Don't forget to pop back to the newbie forum so we can welcome you properly, though :D

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
This has been asked and answered several times but to reiterate - there is no great obstacle if you've written a great book that will work in the US marketplace.
There are a very few agents who have said that they will not work with writers outside of the US, but most agents will look at work from anyone anywhere

Last edited:

Nickie

Not too old to learn
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.nickiefleming.com
I live and work in Belgium, my main language is Flemish, but I had no trouble in finding a publisher here in the USA. I suppose the most important thing is, that they like your novel!

Nickie

Mr Flibble

They've been very bad, Mr Flibble
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We couldn't possibly do that. Who'd clear up the m
Website
francisknightbooks.co.uk
Didnae give me any trouble :D Most US agents / pubs work almost entirely on e-mail now anyway.

No obstacles ( though I would recommend always checking that the agent / publisher takes overseas subs first) except there's some tax forms to fill out - there's some tax relief arrangement between the US and the UK.

Um, that's it.

Nickie

Not too old to learn
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.nickiefleming.com
Taxes are quite easy in Belgium, actually. In the US, you declare you'll pay your taxes in Belgium. And in Belgium, your bank director says you'd better not mention those incomes when you fill out your tax form... (Just won't do for sums over 1 million, I guess!)

Nickie

Pioneer

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.grantmadden.com
Unlike most traditional careers, you are not judged on your nationality.

However, as an Australian in the USA, I found new markets for my last publication, back in my home town where my identity (as opposed to 'new writer') was known. So while we all have our own local outlets, I discovered that publishing out of your native country is a bonus.

IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.