would YOU object to this?

angeliz2k

never mind the shorty
Registered
Reaction score
Commonwealth of Virginia--it's for lovers
Website
www.elizabethhuhn.com
So, late the other night as I was falling asleep, I was thinking about my current WIP. Naturally, I thought of something great, forgot it, then finally remembered it in a flash of intuition (I love those moments).

My thought goes just a little beyond the realm of historical accuracy. I was thinking of having my main character have a problem with opium. It's the late 18th century. I did some research, and from what I can tell, this isn't too wild an idea. Opium was in use for centuries before this time, but really had only come into use in Europe medicinally. I found that some French sailors used it recreationally, however.

My character is French and my thought is that a sailor he happens to know intorudces him to opium. During the course of the story, he turns more and more to the substance [i won't make it a major theme, just part of the idea of him becoming too invested in a particular person].

Problem 1: Addiciton to opium was practically unknown at this time in Europe, though probably was possible.

Problem 2: This person truely existed and I'm fairly certain this historical person never actually used opium.

So . . . I'm asking for some opinions. Do you think it's objectionable to have this character using/becoming dependent on opium?

Puma

Retired and loving it!
Registered
Reaction score
If it's a real person,I'd say don't do it. If you want to keep the idea in the story, create a fictional person to use instead. Puma

WriteKnight

Arranger Of Disorder
Registered
Reaction score
30,000 light years from Galactic Central Point.
Depends on who the real person is - how widely known their backstory is, but I'd say steer away from it.

Also, though USE of opium might be possible, PROBABLE rears its ugly head. On top of that, addiction requires access to a steady supply, can your storyline provide a credible steady flow of the product?

angeliz2k

never mind the shorty
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.elizabethhuhn.com
Hm. Opium might not be the right thing--I think I really mean laudnum. William Wilberforce (think the psalm Amazing Grace) had a reliance on laudnum. It was a very common medicine, so was easily supplied.

I still wonder about the fact that this person was real.

I'll probably tone it down, make it less of a full-blown addiction. It certainly won't be a major plot line.

lkp

Registered
Reaction score
At the very end of the 18th century, Samuel Taylor Coleridge started taking laudanum, which contains opium and claimed that Xanadu was written in an opium dream. Laudanum might be the right vehicle for you to use as a gateway to opium.

It would bother me to know that you had given an opium addiction to a real person who didn't have one. That's me.

Ol' Fashioned Girl

Hand? What hand?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jenniferdahl.com
Does this real person have descendants? They sometimes get understandably riled about their ancestors being shown in anything less than a positive light. Some of them came after the latest 'Titanic' folks for showing First Officer Murdoch shooting himself when Murdoch went down with the ship and drowned.

lkp

Registered
Reaction score
On the other hand, Im about to give an illegitimate child to a queen, utterly unattested, so what do I know?

GirlWithPoisonPen

Mata Hari
Registered
Reaction score
You're working in the era of the French Revolution right?

If the characters have anything to do with court life, a flirtation with opium would not be unheard of.

I'm not sure about giving a real person a substance abuse problem, especially if there's nothing in the record to suggest it. On the other hand, the record is usually silent about sex and drugs.

angeliz2k

never mind the shorty
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.elizabethhuhn.com
You're working in the era of the French Revolution right?

If the characters have anything to do with court life, a flirtation with opium would not be unheard of.

I'm not sure about giving a real person a substance abuse problem, especially if there's nothing in the record to suggest it. On the other hand, the record is usually silent about sex and drugs.

Those were kind of my thoughts. There were plenty of things that were glossed over or not mentioned, and this would have been the kind of thing you leave out of your memoir. Just becasue he doesn't leave space for laudnum usage in between the French Revolution and Napoleon doesn't mean that it didn't/couldn't have happened.

Tepelus

And so...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
keskedgell.blogspot.com
Your mind and mine must be in sync somehow, because just the other day I was doing research on opium for use in my novel. One of the characters uses it to drug three others to make them fall into a deep sleep, and the story takes place in 15th century Hungary and Romania.

William Cook

Happy to be here
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
Sherlock Holmes had an addiction so I don't see any real problems, but I'd create a character. Opium was shipped in the 16th Century and was once by memory a form of currency.

tehuti88

Mackinac Island Fanatic
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.inkspot.com
I'm kind of lenient when it comes to such things. If something is possible (even if not probable), then I wouldn't find it too jarring. So the drug addiction issue wouldn't leap out at me.

The addict character not being known to have used the drug in reality, however, would jar me a bit more, especially if it's somebody I knew well from history. I guess it depends on how authentic or true-to-history you want the story to be. If it's historical fiction then it seems some leeway could be granted (even if you do have to try to make period details authentic).

BAY

Registered
Reaction score
Agree not to make an addict out of a real person. Someone who actively solicts knowing he's addicted. Who needs the legal hassles?

I like your idea of having him take an established medicine made with opium or derivative, something that was often used perhaps, and then have him experience withdrawal-steal some or my personal favorite claim he dropped his bottle and it shattered etc. Have him act like an addict, but never say it or have him get too desperate. I once read some weird stories about how people acted when cocaine was removed from Coke. Back then they didn't know they were junkies and kickin.

pdr

Banned
Reaction score
Ask yourself...

Why do you want to do this?

What will it add to the story?

Why do you want to tamper with that person's reputation?

Are you gilding the lily with excess artistic verisimilitude?

Pup

Registered
Reaction score
I'd also add that recreational and "self medicating" drug use tended to be connected with various demographics. I don't know a thing about 18th century France, but in the 19th century, you can see various drug usages come and go in different contexts, and not just because of the discovery of new drugs.

So it would make a difference to me whether the person was in a demographic where the particular drug use would be very likely, or if it would be out of character or odd.

angeliz2k

never mind the shorty
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.elizabethhuhn.com
The addict character not being known to have used the drug in reality, however, would jar me a bit more, especially if it's somebody I knew well from history.

I don't think anyone on the street would know him, and only people who had studied the Napoleonic period would probably recognize the name at all.

Agree not to make an addict out of a real person. Someone who actively solicts knowing he's addicted. Who needs the legal hassles?

I don't know whether there are any living descendants (I had enough trouble locating his immediate family), but I doubt there would be any legal troubles. This drug was perfectly legal and widely used, many people fell into the same trap, and it happened two hundred and twenty five years ago.

I like your idea of having him take an established medicine made with opium or derivative, something that was often used perhaps, and then have him experience withdrawal-steal some or my personal favorite claim he dropped his bottle and it shattered etc. Have him act like an addict, but never say it or have him get too desperate. I once read some weird stories about how people acted when cocaine was removed from Coke. Back then they didn't know they were junkies and kickin.

I kinda like the possibilites, too.

Why do you want to do this?

What will it add to the story?

Why do you want to tamper with that person's reputation?

Are you gilding the lily with excess artistic verisimilitude?

Basically, at this moment in his life, he starts to fall apart just a little bit. This is part of that. Luckily, he's an exceptionally bright, capable young man and is able to conquer himself. Again--this won't be a major theme, just a part of his attempts to cope.

I'd also add that recreational and "self medicating" drug use tended to be connected with various demographics. I don't know a thing about 18th century France, but in the 19th century, you can see various drug usages come and go in different contexts, and not just because of the discovery of new drugs.

So it would make a difference to me whether the person was in a demographic where the particular drug use would be very likely, or if it would be out of character or odd.

Well, laudnum was widely used medicinally, so it really could happen to anyone. In fact, someone with money would be more liekly to become dependent because they would have access to a doctor who prescribed it. Across the Channel, for instance, Wilber Wilberforce, an MP, developed a strong dependence on laudnum.

BTW: thanks, everyone, for the input. :D

lkp

Registered
Reaction score
Is the fact that his life falls apart, historically attested? Because if so, you may have an excuse there to come up with an explanation (medicinal opium) that history does not reveal.

Puma

Retired and loving it!
Registered
Reaction score
In this age of genealogical research, I'd be very careful casting possible aspersions on someone's character. As a thought, why don't you go to rootsweb Worldconnect.com and look him up to see if anyone is working on a tree that contains him. Remember also, this is an age of lawsuits.

My historical novel is set app 1807 (+/-) and at times I felt like I was walking on eggshells to make sure there was nothing a descendant would find objectionable (almost all the characters were real people). It's a touchy area. Puma

KatrinaFee

Registered
Reaction score
Laudenum addiction was perfectly respectable--Queen Victoria was addicted to it (more along the lines of being a coffee addict than a druggy...)

By the way--during the eighteenth century you could easily have opium:
"Following the Battle of Plassey in 1757, in which Britain annexed Bengal to its empire, the British East India Company pursued a monopoly on production and export of Indian opium. Monopoly began in earnest in 1773, as the British Governor-General of Bengal abolished the opium syndicate at Patna. For the next fifty years opium trade would be the key to the East India Company's hold on the subcontinent."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opium_Wars
So opium was a big deal BEFORE 1750.