• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

[Agency] Artists & Artisans

LindsayP

Registered
Reaction score
I emailed Jamie Brenner tonight and got a response within an hour. She said she wants to read my full ms. Is Artists & Artisans legit?

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
I emailed Jamie Brenner tonight and got a response within an hour. She said she wants to read my full ms. Is Artists & Artisans legit?

Not just legit, highly recommended at P+E

Prawn

Writing is finite,revising infinite
Registered
Reaction score
They're on the ball over at Artists and Artisans: I e-mailed queried Adam last week and he replied the same day, saying he'd forwarded it to Jamie Brenner. She e-mailed me the next day requesting a partial.
P

WordGypsy

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.leahclifford.com
Jamie is on my list of potential agents. I won't start the flood of queries until October though. If anyone has any more info on her it would be much appreciated. Seems like a good agency though...glad I read the whole thread instead of just the first page about Adam! Good luck Prawn! Let us know what happens!

Prawn

Registered
Reaction score
FY everybody's I, here's a news story about Jamie Brenner signing a New York author named Tiona Smalls for her non-fiction book “Girl,Get Your Mind Right!”

Saundra Julian

A work in progress
Registered
Reaction score
Great story, Prawn. Have you heard anything on your partial?

Last edited:

Prawn

Registered
Reaction score
Jamie requested a partial by e-mail. She liked it, so she requested a hard copy of the full. After she had read it, she called and left a message that she wanted to <GULP> talk about my full. I called her back, and she asked some questions about the book, the intention behind it et cetera. I told her I had two more 90K books involving the same character that were in the editing stage. She seemed to like that, and she offered me representation! Yea! She sent me the literary agreement via e-mail the same day. I am psyched!

Moon Daughter

Registered
Reaction score
Wow, congrats, Prawn! That's so exciting. Just out of curiosity though, how long did it take from initial query to an offer of representation?

Prawn

Registered
Reaction score
Wow, congrats, Prawn! That's so exciting. Just out of curiosity though, how long did it take from initial query to an offer of representation?

Thanks!

The whole thing took about three and a half weeks.

I sent the query on August 25th. I signed the contract Sept 21st,and just got back my signed copy yesterday.

Iris25

Jamie Brenner

Prawn, I have a question for you. When you were contacted by Jamie via email, was it actually Jamie that did the writing or was it an assistant/intern?
Thanks for the help!;)

Prawn

Registered
Reaction score
Prawn, I have a question for you. When you were contacted by Jamie via email, was it actually Jamie that did the writing or was it an assistant/intern?
Thanks for the help!;)

It was Jamie herself.
P

Iris25

It was Jamie herself.
P

Thanks for answering Prawn. I contacted Artists and Artisans and had an intern write me back requesting info. She said nothing about working for Jamie nor did she mention Jamie in the e-mail at all. Call me paranoid, but I found the whole thing a little suspicious. Do you have any advice?? Do you think it's a scam?

Saundra Julian

A work in progress
Registered
Reaction score
Congratulations, Prawn, that is exciting! I'm still waiting.

Last edited:

DeadlyAccurate

Absolutely Fazed
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.carlaharker.com
Thanks for answering Prawn. I contacted Artists and Artisans and had an intern write me back requesting info. She said nothing about working for Jamie nor did she mention Jamie in the e-mail at all. Call me paranoid, but I found the whole thing a little suspicious. Do you have any advice?? Do you think it's a scam?

What kind of scam would it be? And why would you be suspicious if someone from a respected agency emailed you back asking for more information just because she didn't mention her boss? Did you have some reason to think the email didn't come from A&A?

Prawn

Registered
Reaction score

As long as its from [email protected] then I think it is legit. If it is from [email protected], then I wouldn't reply.

Iris25

As long as its from [email protected] then I think it is legit. If it is from [email protected], then I wouldn't reply.

Thanks for your help, Prawn. I appreciate it. And congratulations on signing with Jamie. It must feel really good to finally have an agent--this is a hard business to break into. :tongue I wish you all the best in the process of book to shelf!

Thanks again,
Iris25

Prawn

Registered
Reaction score
You are welcome Iris, and good luck Saundra!

Iris25

What kind of scam would it be? And why would you be suspicious if someone from a respected agency emailed you back asking for more information just because she didn't mention her boss? Did you have some reason to think the email didn't come from A&A?

Hey DeadlyAccurate, I just saw your post. I don't know what kind of scam it could be, but as I just asked Prawn whether or not he received an e-mail directly from Jamie or from an intern and his response was that he received it directly from Jamie, I find the whole e-mail a little sketchy. Also, any queries I have sent to agents in the past via e-mail have always been responded to by that particular agent, not an intern. The only intern I've had contact with was a formal rejection letter sent from Writer's House via the desk of the agent I queried. I've contacted other agents and the response is always sent by their hand, even though they are very busy agents working at very busy agencies.

That's all my concern is. After working so hard on something, I just don't really want to throw it out there to just anybody. I know I have to sell myself, but I want to make sure the person I'm querying is someone I can trust.

Iris25

Saundra Julian

A work in progress
Registered
Reaction score
My email came directly from Jamie. Still waiting for word on my partial...I hope that's a good sign.

gorefluff

Registered
Reaction score
I was getting anxious over my one-week-and-counting wait for a response to sending my partial to Jaime as she requested. If it's been nearly a month and no reply yet for you, S.J., I think I might as well start querying other agents. I'm not sure if that's against the unspoken querying code, but I'm pretty hyped up to get more letters out there.