• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

[Agency] Artists & Artisans

Pisarz

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sharppenediting.com
Meggy, how did you go about mentioning the rewritten pages? I have a partial out but have since done a rewrite (and like you, I feel that the rewrite is much better). The agent said to give her until late October, so it's likely she hasn't read it yet. Could you share with me the approach you took? I don't want to sound unprofessional or like some goofy writer who handed in subpar material the first time.

Roger J Carlson

Moderator In Name Only
Registered
Reaction score
Try honesty. I had my novel at Baen Books for nearly a year (not uncommon). I wrote to them and said I'd been to a writer's conference where I identified some problems with the novel which I had fixed. Would it be all right to send them the revised version? They didn't seem to have a problem with that. They let me slip it back into the same spot in the queue.

Pisarz

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sharppenediting.com
That sounds great! Let me ask the inverse: Has anyone ever gotten a negative reaction from an agent upon asking to submit rewritten material? By that I mean, has anyone submitted a partial, revised it, contacted the agent again, and have the agent seem turned off because of the attempt to submit a revised partial?

triceretops

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
guerrillawarfareforwriters.blogspot.com
Try honesty. I had my novel at Baen Books for nearly a year (not uncommon). I wrote to them and said I'd been to a writer's conference where I identified some problems with the novel which I had fixed. Would it be all right to send them the revised version? They didn't seem to have a problem with that. They let me slip it back into the same spot in the queue.

Had almost the same thing happen to me. Sent one book to Baen and waited 14-months before nudging them. (They admitted to losing my submission completely). In the meantime I'd aquired an agent, who wanted to rep a different book. So I asked Baen if they wouldn't mind swaping titles, and having my (new agent) represent me. They not only agreed to the switch, but they said that they would bump me up in line and get back on a response to the new book in 30-days.

Six days later Jim Baen passed away. So my agent did not press the hurry up issue. He has only know called in to see where I stand.

I dunno, I thought it was very nice of Pam, at Baen, to be so accomodating.

Tri

Vincenzo

Registered
Reaction score
Artists & Artisans - Adam Chromy

I sent Adam Chromy an e-mail query that included the pitch for my novel in the body -- 3 paragraphs worth. I received a reply within 60 seconds, to wit:

Thanks for the note, but I have to pass.
Good luck.
Adam

Adam Chromy
Artists and Artisans Inc.
104 West 29th Street, 11th Fl.
New York, NY 10001

T. 212 924 9619 ext. 15
F. 212 931 8377

[email protected]
www.artistsandartisans.com

So, no complaints about responsiveness, but... did he even read my pitch?

JeanneTGC

I *am* Catwoman...and Gini Koch
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ginikoch.com
Maybe not. They might be closed to submissions and you missed it on the website or they just didn't post it. Maybe he didn't read past your first line. Maybe he's a fast reader -- I could read your query in a minute or less, as could my daughter and one of my beta readers (my husband, on the other hand, would need at least 5 minutes -- he's not slow, just an average reader). Maybe he skimmed for key words, did or didn't see them, and passed.

Bottom line -- they passed, politely. This gives you the chance to send your next query out to someone who may NOT pass.

Keep the faith and keep your numbers up.

DeadlyAccurate

Absolutely Fazed
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.carlaharker.com
I believe she made a six-figure deal last summer. I spoke with her on the phone a couple months ago when she called to make an offer. She's a nice person, and she was quite apologetic about her slow response time. I would have been quite satisfied to have her as an agent, but I made the decision to sign with another.

RitrChick

Rejoining the Butt in Chair Club
Registered
Reaction score
Michelle Wolfson

Thanks for the info, DeadlyAccurate, and congrats on your representation! How awesome!

How long are you talking when you say "slow response time"? She has my partial and I am frothing at the mouth. ;)

DeadlyAccurate

Absolutely Fazed
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.carlaharker.com
She asked for the full three weeks after requesting the partial. Full --> offer was months (non-exclusive), but I wouldn't expect she'd take that long again. I think I was a fluke. Good luck! And thanks for the congrats.

Noddy Rider

Registered
Reaction score
Michelle asked for my proposal almost immediately after receiving my query. Two days after I emailed the proposal, she asked for a phone conference. During our conversation, she gave some good criticism on my proposal and said she'd send her contract. A few days later she said she'd decided to pass because of my lack of platform (ohhhh, THAT again). She encouraged me to contact her again after I had risen to new heights and if I still needed an agent.

So my experience was that her response time was extremely fast.

RitrChick

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the info, Noddy Rider. Here's wishing you the best on that platform.

Glad to hear Michelle responded quickly to you. For some reason, I hear Richard Marxx crooning in my subconscious, since I'm still "Right Here Waiting"...:eek:

Noddy Rider

Registered
Reaction score
Good luck, RitrChick! And may your subconsicous hear something like "Torn Between Two Agents" soon ...

RitrChick

Registered
Reaction score
Don't get your knickers in a wad quite yet, Pisarz. I, too, got a fast response to my query (a day and a half), but today is exactly three weeks that Michelle's had my partial and I'm still holding out hope. Look up at DeadlyAccurate's post...looks like Michelle's speedy with queries, but takes her time with the actual writing.

Since waiting is not my bag and I'd really love to work with Michelle, these three weeks have felt like eternity. :cry:

RitrChick

Registered
Reaction score
Ugh! After 4 weeks, I got the big, fat R from Michelle today. :(

I am so bummed--I really wanted to work with her. Eh well, onward and upward.

Hear anything yet, Pisarz? I'm pulling for you! ;)

Pisarz

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sharppenediting.com
Sorry to hear about the rejection, RitrChick. I know how much you wanted to work with her--you must have been pretty bummed. But here's hoping another agent will be your perfect match!

As for myself, I haven't yet hear back from Michelle.

Was it a personal or a form rejection?

RitrChick

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the kind words, Pisarz. I was bummed but y'know, there are lots and lots of other great agents out there and one of them is bound to be drunk when they read my ms and fall in love with it! Only a matter of time...:e2drunk:

The rejection seemed pretty personal, but didn't give a lot of explanation. One of those "although I really enjoyed it, I didn't fall in love with it," things.

Maybe she's so smitten with yours, she hasn't had the chance to get back with you yet. Here's to happy news for you!:D

jodiodi

Reflections of Reality
Registered
Reaction score
At least she sent a fairly personal reply. I got a short "Not for me" by e-mail within a day. That was it. Not for me.

Just Me 2021

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Michelle has had a partial of mine for 3 weeks. I couldn't find a response time anywhere on the website or any resources on her, so I'm not sure what to expect as to response time.

Just Me 2021

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Funny how weeks feel like years when you're waiting to hear back from agents, isn't it? I have to find some way to distract myself during the waiting time. (I know, I know: Write book number two, but you know how it goes....)

Provrb1810meggy

Registered
Reaction score
See that there's a new agent, Jamie Brenner. Anybody have experience with her?