THE RULES

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dawnstorm

punny user title, here
Registered
Reaction score
But 'I like Rushdie's use of adverbs' is not a good argument. It's even worse than 'Just follow the rules. Don't use adverbs.' Do you know what is Rushdie's reason for using adverbs?

Actually, it's no argument at all. I'm trying to stay out of specific issues in this thread mostly because I don't have the time. Do I know Rushdie's reason for adverbs? No. Didn't ask him. The best I can do is get the actual text and do an analysis. I've done these things in the past, and I probably will again. But they're not very rewarding to do in public, as it's very strenous to do this without all the fancy terms I'd instinctively use, and the result doesn't seem all that interesting to others. If I ever did such a thing, I'd probably choose passive voice as a topic rhather than adverbs: personal interest, more thought went into that, I've puzzled out the particulars of the advice literature a bit better, too. Not here, though. Probably not in the near future. (You can look at my passive voice thread on the theory board if you want to, which is what comes closest to what I have in mind, but isn't quite there. And - to be honest - re-reading my posts with a distance, I don't always agree with myself...)

Any observation anyone makes can be wrong. A rule can never be wrong; it can just be useful or not. I don't doubt the good intentions and neither do I doubt that people know what they're talking about. But I do think that - on the whole - rules aren't as good a teaching method as they are in, say, surgery or piloting. Mostly, because the results aren't nearly as objective. It's way easier to tell when a patient died or when a plane crashed than when a text has failed, as tastes differ. And when people do find they agree about a problematic piece of text, they don't necessarily read the text the same way. Biology and physics are way more stable than the "gestalt" of a text. I feel that phrasing observations as a rule is often an attempt at placing yourself too far away from the microscope; but without the judging eye the judgement is meaningless. Not because I think I know better than an agent, but because rules don't translate easily.

I'd prefer specific statements coupled with fewer abstracts such as "the reader" (who doesn't exist in the sort of unity the term implies), or "good/bad".

And now let me return to the original quote: "I like it," is a very specific statement. I could be wrong, and I could be right. But it communicates nothing about writing. That's obvious. However, I disagree that it's worse than "rules". "Don't use X," really translates to "I don't like X". Based on more experience, perhaps, but it communicates no more. However, it hides the taste-part. The following explanations will communicate more (but I can do the same thing by following up with a detailed analysis). The difference is one of mental state of the listener: You hear a "don't", you'll flag the term with "danger". This is not a pleasant emotion and may actually ruin certain constructions in the perception of a reader.

Clearly, I have no evidence for it, but sometimes it does sound like people react averse to a section of text because it triggers the rule. (I think I've observed this with myself, concerning the semicolon.) This is very dodgy territory, though; it involves hypersensitivity to constructions you'd normally miss and a suspension of your "natural" reaction to language. Even if I'm right about this, I'm not sure this is really attributable to the rule-formulation.

Yeah, I'm not talking from a very strong position. I'd like to develope these sort of ideas and maybe make them more helpful (if that's possible at all), but the idea that there may be a better way to teach writing than a inventory list of "guidelines" is not very popular. And I'm probably not the best person to develope those ideas anyway, as I know little about psychology and education (my fields are sociology and literary criticism - doesn't that explain it all?); and it doesn't help that sooner or later - no matter how hard I try not to do it - I call the "rules" "silly". Which is a "silly" simplification, very much like the "rules" I'm attacking.

I honestly don't wish to establish a "No rules!" rule. That would be... absurd. If I'm wasting your time, tell me. I sometimes feel I'm wasting mine (though not this time round as you folks have been helpful to me).

Mad Queen

California Mountain Snake
Registered
Reaction score
Clearly, I have no evidence for it, but sometimes it does sound like people react averse to a section of text because it triggers the rule.
I actually agree with you that this is the case sometimes, but I don't think it's a problem with rules. If you've been around this board for a while, you know that some people are against prologues, unhappy endings, first person present tense, profanity etc and simply won't read books that have them. These aren't even rules, but it doesn't matter. Even a preference or an opinion can be wrongly generalized or taken to extremes. But good teachers and writers know that rules have limits and they say so. For instance, in On Writing Well, William Zinsser says that 'Most adverbs are unnecessary'. He never says 'Don't use adverbs'. One of the examples he gives is 'Don't tell us that the radio blared loudly; "blare" connotes loudness. [...] Don't use adverbs unless they do necessary work. Spare us the news that the winning athlete grinned widely.' How can you disagree with it?

MetalDog

Woof!
Registered
Reaction score
Not me, though. I find technique incredibly important. Actually, I think that might be exactly why I object to the "rules". They generally leave story alone and mess with technique only. Hmm...

Ah - then we are from different planets =)
I think that when bad technique sells like hotcakes*, it's usually because the story is such a fine beast that you're enjoying the ride too much to quibble about the landscape.

You say you're into literary novels though, yes? I find an awful lot of them unreadable. It's probable that an entirely different set of rules apply when story and character take a distant back seat to theme. I'd be very surprised if there were no rules.

*celebrity output and 'I want to appear to have read this' coffee table books aside.

Dawnstorm

punny user title, here
Registered
Reaction score
I actually agree with you that this is the case sometimes, but I don't think it's a problem with rules. If you've been around this board for a while, you know that some people are against prologues, unhappy endings, first person present tense, profanity etc and simply won't read books that have them. These aren't even rules, but it doesn't matter. Even a preference or an opinion can be wrongly generalized or taken to extremes.

That's possibly true. Everything can be over-generalised. Still, I think anything prefaced with a "don't X" when you first encounter the idea (especially if you have to look up the X) has a headstart. Not sure, and not a very strong point anyway. Still...

But good teachers and writers know that rules have limits and they say so. For instance, in On Writing Well, William Zinsser says that 'Most adverbs are unnecessary'. He never says 'Don't use adverbs'. One of the examples he gives is 'Don't tell us that the radio blared loudly; "blare" connotes loudness. [...] Don't use adverbs unless they do necessary work. Spare us the news that the winning athlete grinned widely.' How can you disagree with it?
Well, if I put "blared loudly" and plain "blared" side by side, I imagine a higher degree of noise in the former. Are you familiar with Grice's mxims? It's a concept from pragmatics that states that people interpret words as if they have meaning. (Ironically, they're formulated as rules. Lol.) In any case, the result is that "loudly" in "blared loudly" has the implication of "blared more loudly than you'd expect your avarage blare to blare". That is: it's not redundant but introduces degree. Of course, whether that is the case has to be determined in context; and even if it could express degree it might not be relevant to express degree.

Second, it could function as emphasis, in much the same way that people sometimes repeat words. A variation of this is "foreshadowing" on the sentence level: "Loudly the trumpets blared."

A combination of degree and emphasis could result in a "crescendo effect", simulating emotional escalation: "The trumpets blared. Loudly. Very Loudly. Very, very loudly." (The trumpets don't get louder; the narrator keeps correcting him/herself.)

Then there's sentence rhythm, where emphasis is not warranted by itself, but way the sound flows an extra word inserted for, say, breathing space might be warranted. ("Blared" is a stressed syllable, and so it "loud", so that there's a small pause in between. It's a rising-falling structure: /-\ A bit like that.)

The thing is: when people talk about "necessary" they almost always judge information value only. But that's a very stripped down writing style. Many writers use words also for effect (be it degree, emphasis or rhythm).

As I say, it's not so much about disagreeing with it, as it's about a "reduced picture". In what context does Zinsser say this? I wouldn't object if this was part of a topic like, say, "information control". How do you make sure you're avoiding redundancies? How do you get the most out of the least words? Then you'd get a list of examples: adjectives, adverbs, linking verbs, auxiliary verbs, articles... Basically, you first disuss the difference between words that provide function and words that provide content, and then you talk about how to reduce the ratio of function:content words. You make sure that there is no absolute point of "noise control". You can never say how much is too much. Then you discuss the problem of too view function words (no breathing space, image overload, more demanding sentence parsing because of too little cues...). Next you go on to reference: Does every content word give unique information? Are you repeating a point with multiple words? This is where adverbs come in as prime offenders, together with adjectives. But then you go on to less obvious stuff, as verb-noun relations and expectations: "to saddle a horse" where "horse" is usually already expected by the time you say "saddle", so there might be an opportunity to reduce explicit concepts ("He saddled his horse, Jersey..." vs. "He saddled Jersey..." vs. "He saddled his giant spider, Jersey..."). And so on. (I can't even answer a simple question without rambling, can I?)

On the other hand, if the point comes up in a discussion on adverbs it misrepresents the picture. The redundancy is not the fault of the adverb. Yet you hear: "adverb" and "unnecessary" in close proximity, and instead of wanting to learn to use them effectively, you'll want to try to use them as little as possible. The former allows you more elbow room, I think, psychologically (but it may overwhelm more timid writers with too much responsibility all at once), though in the end both may lead to similar routs.

I personally think that any way you phrase an observation that allows the writer to experiment and exert their own judgement is more fun, makes for better motivation, more confidence, and ultimately a richer writing environment, because it encourages variety over conformity. It doesn't mean that anything goes, but - ideally - it would engender curiosity about what others have come up with.

Not a number comparison, however well-meaning. I mean I heard things like "one adverb per page" as a helpful rule of thumb. But the rule doesn't hit all writers the same way. Some people's "natural style" may be more adverb intensive than other people's style. That's not a bad thing, necessarily.

On another board someone quoted someone else talking about your "first voice". That's how you would sound if you'd write without any preconceptions of how a story should sound. It sounds counterintuitive, but discovering your first voice is hard. You have all sorts of pre-conceptions of what makes the writing you enjoy "good", and you don't trust yourself to have that power. That's why we look for external stuff and lap up rules. Ever heard the "rule", sometimes taught in schools, that you should liven up your stories with adjectives and adverbs? I have. Now imagine people believing that (I did, early on). They would use too many adjectives and adverbs, wouldn't they? Now imagine agents and publishers. Suddenly "Don't use adverbs," sounds plausible, doesn't it?

One of my very first writing rules, I was about twelve and discovered it for myself, was this: you must say things in "original" ways. I honestly thought that that's what makes fiction good. I wasn't exectly a brilliant writer before twelve, but at least I didn't spout nonsense like "his footsteps steered towards..." (Ugh!)

I just think that rooting out such misconceptions about writing would be more helpful than countering them with new ones (never mind how much more sophisticated they are). Up to a point, "Liven up your prose with adverbs and adjectives" cancel each other out. But you don't really learn anything in the process - and if you do, you learn that the truth is somewhere in between, which is probably where you would have started out with without any of these rules. And what would happen if you hit someone with the "Don't use adverbs," rule who happens to use - without ever thinking about it - "just the right amount of adverbs" (subjective; humour me - it's complicated enough)? Wouldn't they overcompensate?

Pretty much everything in writing is a balancing act, as far as I can tell. Present it as such if you can.

Well, here's another monster post and I'm exhausted. I know it's not an easy issue. I appreciate the time you all take reading my posts; I know it can't be easy, since I tend to confuse myself, too, and the topic is pretty confusing to begin with. I hope I did make some sense in my take on Zinsser. If it was an article, I'd let it rest for the night, but do that on a message board and the thread has moved on leaving your effort moot. (Some posts get deleted instead of posted, because a post that overtook me rendered my post moot...)

MetalDog said:
You say you're into literary novels though, yes? I find an awful lot of them unreadable. It's probable that an entirely different set of rules apply when story and character take a distant back seat to theme. I'd be very surprised if there were no rules.

Actually, I'd say I'm into reading. I've managed to enjoy Harry Potter as much as, say, At Swim Two Birds. I didn't enjoy Pride and Prejudice all that much, though I can appreciate the craft (which is I could tell you how I would have to change to enjoy it). I quite enjoyed Locke Lamorra, and I love Woolf's Orlando. What I may have said (I can't remember what I actually posted and what I typed and delted before posting) is that I have an education in literary criticicism. This is different.

When I was at university, I argued both against the division into high culture and low culture, and against the tendency of some postmodernist to treat everything as "text" and ignore all differences. I was mostly interested in reader response criticism, which isn't much about real readers and real response, and more about describing the "implied reader" (term by Wolfgang Iser), which constructs the optimal traits a reader can have to enjoy a particular text. And also "narratology", which is a French and German dominated theory about "narrative" (Stenzel, Genet), which takes off from a phenomenological discussion of how people "construct" texts: that is a sequential analysis of hints of what is narrator, and what is character in a text. These were my favourites, and probably inform most of my theoretical stance.

You'd be very surprised if there were no rules? Rightly so. Rules abound; and every single one has at least one counter rule. They're all either associated with schools of criticism or with writer movements. I don't know if you read genre. In genre we've recently had discussions between "mundane SF" (a group around Geoff Ryman) and Ian McDonald (lone writer), which was a discussion about topics. Another example, probably better known, is the New Weird vs. the Tolkienesque (mostly Mieville, really).

If I put a bit of thought into it, I bet I could place them on a "theory grid". A bit of realism tinged with stream-of-consciousness techniques, a dislike of overt narration, pared down language, focus on content over form... I should be able to come up with something, but I'd rather not. It's a time sink, history was never my strength, and I doubt it's all that relevant. (I think that might actually blend on some level with what NeuroFizz is saying about "current conventions", with the difference that I don't think it's easily theorisable into rules - if that's a difference at all between us, which I'm not sure. I certainly understand that some stuff is harder to market than other stuff; I just think that you're better off writing what you enjoy - because the process is more enjoyable, and - as a side-effect - the product will be better. It's never that simple, though.)

MetalDog

Woof!
Registered
Reaction score
Pride and Predudice is an interesting example. I read that fairly recently and it was an okay read, but I think it could be an even better read if there was less exposition. =D

She tells a lot about cool scenes that have happened, instead of showing us the cool scenes, which is a clear breaking of one of the cureent 'rules'. It was an acceptable habit back then, but it drove me a little nuts reading it.

PS: I'm not really sure what you mean by 'I don't know if you read genre'. I read a lot of different genres? Is there anything that isn't a genre? Severe lack of university education speaking here, probably =)

Last edited:
Reaction score
I notice Enchantress won the Booker.

It didn't even make the shortlist.

Aravind Adiga's White Tiger won the last Booker, although Rushdie won in 1981 for Midnight's Children. MC also won the Booker of Bookers (best winner in the first 25 years of the contest) and the Best of Bookers (best winner in the first 40 years of the contest).

tehuti88

Mackinac Island Fanatic
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.inkspot.com
I personally think that any way you phrase an observation that allows the writer to experiment and exert their own judgement is more fun, makes for better motivation, more confidence, and ultimately a richer writing environment, because it encourages variety over conformity. It doesn't mean that anything goes, but - ideally - it would engender curiosity about what others have come up with.

Not a number comparison, however well-meaning. I mean I heard things like "one adverb per page" as a helpful rule of thumb. But the rule doesn't hit all writers the same way. Some people's "natural style" may be more adverb intensive than other people's style. That's not a bad thing, necessarily.

On another board someone quoted someone else talking about your "first voice". That's how you would sound if you'd write without any preconceptions of how a story should sound. It sounds counterintuitive, but discovering your first voice is hard. You have all sorts of pre-conceptions of what makes the writing you enjoy "good", and you don't trust yourself to have that power. That's why we look for external stuff and lap up rules. Ever heard the "rule", sometimes taught in schools, that you should liven up your stories with adjectives and adverbs? I have. Now imagine people believing that (I did, early on). They would use too many adjectives and adverbs, wouldn't they? Now imagine agents and publishers. Suddenly "Don't use adverbs," sounds plausible, doesn't it?

One of my very first writing rules, I was about twelve and discovered it for myself, was this: you must say things in "original" ways. I honestly thought that that's what makes fiction good. I wasn't exectly a brilliant writer before twelve, but at least I didn't spout nonsense like "his footsteps steered towards..." (Ugh!)

I just think that rooting out such misconceptions about writing would be more helpful than countering them with new ones (never mind how much more sophisticated they are). Up to a point, "Liven up your prose with adverbs and adjectives" cancel each other out. But you don't really learn anything in the process - and if you do, you learn that the truth is somewhere in between, which is probably where you would have started out with without any of these rules. And what would happen if you hit someone with the "Don't use adverbs," rule who happens to use - without ever thinking about it - "just the right amount of adverbs" (subjective; humour me - it's complicated enough)? Wouldn't they overcompensate?

Pretty much everything in writing is a balancing act, as far as I can tell. Present it as such if you can.

Apologies I misunderstood your earlier "rules" post to be about grammar.

Actually, I'm very much along the same lines as the snipped comments above. Aside from grammar I really didn't learn much about how to write fiction in school; I just wrote it the way I wanted to write it. When I came to writing message boards, some of the "rules" I've found here I found mystifying and perplexing because they obviously don't apply as much as the people who tout them would like to believe. For example the "First draft of everything is sh*t" thing, I find it silly how it's posted so much it's treated like God's truth. It might apply in many cases, but not always, the same as lots of other writing "rules" I've seen mentioned around here.

I've noticed that most of said rules I've broken repeatedly in my work...and nobody who's read my stuff has ever complained, at least, not consistently. And I've seen that the things some readers DO complain about are inconsistent. Somebody likes how I do something--somebody else hates it. That doesn't necessarily make what I wrote right or wrong, it just means people think about it differently. The only true thing I've learned from visiting writing forums is that aside from the rules of grammar and spelling (and sometimes even there), almost everything is a matter of opinion.

Don't get me wrong, it's good to KNOW the things that most writers frown upon, and to know why, so I can judge for myself whether I should use such things in my writing or not, but that's the key--*I* the writer am the judge, not them. (Readers are judges too, and can give good advice, but even they don't tell me how to write my story as I see best. One recent reader advised me to rewrite my story a second time to completely change the plot, split the story in two, and change the title because he didn't agree with how my plot had shifted focus. Ha! He can go start his own story if he wishes.)

I find it disheartening sometimes how some things are nitpicked over as being "right" or "wrong" when they're just subjective, so much so that many beginning writers might get discouraged that they can't follow all the "rules," or turned off from writing in their "true voice" because they were taught it's not proper. (My college creative writing teacher despised fantasy, and if I'd followed the preferences of most of my teachers I'd be writing exactly like Hemingway, whose work I detest. So as you can imagine, I would not find writing nearly as much fun as I now do.) Knowing the "rules" should really be tailored more toward individuals, not treated as pertaining to everyone in the same measure, because we all write so differently; that individuality should not be squashed. Many beginning writers are made to believe that they should/shouldn't do things in a certain way "because that's how most writers say it should be"--they aren't taught to work it out for themselves, just to listen to what the big writers tell them because they're published/trying to get published and they know best. It's so discouraging. I made a blog entry about this recently, in fact, but I feel uncomfortable linking that here so I thought I'd just mention it. :)

I don't know if I'm coming from the exact same mindset as you but it's good to know there are at least a few similarities. Sometimes I feel like I'm the only writer who doesn't agonize over every adverb, exclamation mark, speech tag, etc. because I'm not using them the way "everyone else" uses them.

Last edited:

Mad Queen

Registered
Reaction score
Well, if I put "blared loudly" and plain "blared" side by side, I imagine a higher degree of noise in the former.
Maybe, but the problem is that they aren't side by side. You can choose one or the other for your text. Besides, how loud is 'blared loudly' compared to 'blared'? Twice as loud? Four times as loud? Would then 'blared loudly loudly' be eight times as loud? These questions are ridiculous. You can't get precise with words such as 'blare' and 'loud'. They don't get totted up as in algebra. 'blared' may be louder than 'blared loudly', depending on the context:

My computer's speakers were blaring loudly.
The aeroplane's engines were blaring.

The point is that 'loudly' doesn't make 'blare' louder in most cases. It makes it redundant.
Second, it could function as emphasis, in much the same way that people sometimes repeat words. [...] A combination of degree and emphasis could result in a "crescendo effect", simulating emotional escalation [...] Then there's sentence rhythm ...
As Zinsser says, you must first get familiar with the basics before you attempt those other effects. Your basic tool is using 'blare' instead of 'blare loudly'. Then, if you notice adding 'loudly' actually improves the text, you may add it, but way more often than not, 'blare' will do all the useful work and 'blare loudly' will just weaken your text. In any case, you must know what you're doing and the first step is to learn the basics.
The thing is: when people talk about "necessary" they almost always judge information value only.
Sure, there are implied values. The first few chapters of Zinsser's book are dedicated to explaning them.
But that's a very stripped down writing style. Many writers use words also for effect (be it degree, emphasis or rhythm).
It's your basic tool. Quoting Zinsser again, 'no one becomes Tom Wolfe overnight, not even Tom Wolfe'.
On the other hand, if the point comes up in a discussion on adverbs it misrepresents the picture. The redundancy is not the fault of the adverb. Yet you hear: "adverb" and "unnecessary" in close proximity, and instead of wanting to learn to use them effectively, you'll want to try to use them as little as possible. The former allows you more elbow room, I think, psychologically (but it may overwhelm more timid writers with too much responsibility all at once), though in the end both may lead to similar routs.
Zinsser's discussion of adverbs doesn't take up more than one page. In contrast, most of the book promotes clarity, simplicity, humanity. As I said, good teachers don't just hand over ready-made rules to their students. When writers hear that adverbs should be used with care and they cut out all of them without thinking, they aren't following the good rules at all. They're like students that just memorise the subject and never attempt to understand it.

Reaction score
This thread is beginning to make my head hurt.

Suffice it to say 'blared loudly' is redundant, or at least the 'loudly' is because the fact it's loud is inherent in the word 'blared'.

You cannot blare anything quietly.

You can talk all you want about comparisons, and what if something else is louder still...in which case, say so. "The trumpet blared more loudly than the French horn."

You don't need to say the French horn 'blared loudly'.

The above being an example, of course. It's like the same old, same old 'running quickly' debate. And 'whispering quietly'...:rolleyes:

Now, if you'll excuse me I'm about to have a drink of wet tea.

Dawnstorm

punny user title, here
Registered
Reaction score
I don't know if I'm coming from the exact same mindset as you but it's good to know there are at least a few similarities.

Sounds pretty similar at least. :)

Mad Queen said:
As Zinsser says, you must first get familiar with the basics before you attempt those other effects. Your basic tool is using 'blare' instead of 'blare loudly'. Then, if you notice adding 'loudly' actually improves the text, you may add it, but way more often than not, 'blare' will do all the useful work and 'blare loudly' will just weaken your text. In any case, you must know what you're doing and the first step is to learn the basics.

Again, I'd have to read Zinsser to really know what he's saying. I sort of agree with what you're saying, but I'm uncomforable to say "use blare instead of 'blare loudly'" is a basic rule if it's in a section about adverbs. It's singling out adverbs unfairly: redundancy is the problem, not adverbs. Adverbs, like adjectives, carry "manner": whether manner is expressed elsewhere, too, (say in verb choice) is not a property of adverbs. An adverb-verb unit compared to a single verb portrays a "state of affairs" as two concepts rather than one. There may or may not be overlap, which allows for different effects (which can be described). In addition adverbs are mobile (re-arranging of word order can achieve different effects). These things are what I'd call basic knowledge. "Blare loudly" vs. "blare" is not basic. It assumes a lot. It's also immediately plausible, but that's not the same as "basic". In your avarage daily language use you make more complex decisions than that "basic rule".

But, again, arguing Zinsser by proxy without having read him is a bit... silly of me. :eek:

Scarletpeaches said:
This thread is beginning to make my head hurt.

I have a contract with the pharmas and you drink wet tea. Damn you! Foiling my plans...

The above being an example, of course. It's like the same old, same old 'running quickly' debate. And 'whispering quietly'...:rolleyes:
We've been there before. I'm just too stubborn and refuse to learn. Heh. Or maybe it's why I've invoked Grice's maximes this time round?

Btw, thanks for correcting me about Enchantress. I misread the Amazon cover as referring to the book rather than to Rushdie himself. :eek:

Reaction score
They often do that. I saw a cover of Ishiguro's Never Let Me Go with a WINNER OF THE BOOKER PRIZE flash. Uh...no. Ishiguro won, yes, but not for that novel.

But you can't fool me, ya damn booksellers!

Mad Queen

Registered
Reaction score
It's singling out adverbs unfairly: redundancy is the problem, not adverbs.
Yes, but as I said, this section on adverbs is less than a page long, and redundancy and simplicity are some of the book's overall themes. Whoever has adverbphobia didn't catch it by reading On Writing Well or any good book about writing that I know.
These things are what I'd call basic knowledge. "Blare loudly" vs. "blare" is not basic. It assumes a lot.
How often did you find passages that would be better with 'blared loudly' than with 'blared'? I can't think of many, but I can think of plenty of examples where adding 'loudly' weakens the text.
But, again, arguing Zinsser by proxy without having read him is a bit... silly of me. :eek:
You should, it's excellent. Highly recommended.

Dawnstorm

punny user title, here
Registered
Reaction score
They often do that. I saw a cover of Ishiguro's Never Let Me Go with a WINNER OF THE BOOKER PRIZE flash. Uh...no. Ishiguro won, yes, but not for that novel.

But you can't fool me, ya damn booksellers!

As a writer, there's only one conclusion: Winning the Booker early in your career is better than winning it late. You can have the name on more covers.

Mad Queen said:
Yes, but as I said, this section on adverbs is less than a page long, and redundancy and simplicity are some of the book's overall themes. Whoever has adverbphobia didn't catch it by reading On Writing Well or any good book about writing that I know.

Quite possible, which leaves me with:

You should, it's excellent.

How often did you find passages that would be better with 'blared loudly' than with 'blared'? I can't think of many, but I can think of plenty of examples where adding 'loudly' weakens the text.

All I can do without concrete, contextualised examples is point towards my earlier posts, really. That's partly my point: judgment out of context is pointless. But saying that leads me back to where I started...

Reaction score
As a writer, there's only one conclusion: Winning the Booker early in your career is better than winning it late. You can have the name on more covers...

Another conclusion: new editions of your earlier books.

Status
Not open for further replies.