SASE (Canadians)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zipotes

Registered
Reaction score
For Canadian authors sending queries to US agents - what do you do about the whole SASE issue?
Everyone seems to ask for a SASE, but Canada Post says they will need US postage to return it to me and they can't provide those stamps. They said even if I send an international coupon the agent will have to use it at the post office, which I'm certain they won't want to bother.
Do you think an email address and telephone number are good enough if they ask for a SASE for response?
Wondering what other Canadians are doing.

aka eraser

Fish Whisperer
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.frankbaron.com
All my correspondence with editors and publishers has been via email the last few years. I used International Reply Coupons in the 70s and 80s but later had friends in the States send, or bring me stamps.

If I'm not mistaken, you may be able to buy American stamps via online venues these days.

But if you're only snail-mailing queries, you can tell the agents to recycle them and ask for replies via email.

CaroGirl

Living the dream
Registered
Reaction score
I got my husband to buy me a bunch of stamps the last time he travelled in the States. If you know anybody in the States you could get them to send you some in the post.

Zipotes

Registered
Reaction score
Would one US stamp send something to Canada or should I put on two?

nevada

Registered
Reaction score
zipotes, go to the post office and ask them to weigh what you send the agent. then go to the US postal website and find out the international rates for that weight. then you know for sure you have enough postage for it to come back.

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
I did a stamp trade with an AW member, actually. At their request, I volunteered to send them Canadian stamps and they sent the equivalent in US stamps to me. It was extremely handy. Maybe you can ask a US member if they'd like to do the same. (I'm still using my US stamps)

Carmy

Banned
Reaction score
Send a cheque or money order to:

Postmaster General, 421 W Riverside Avenue, Spokane, WA 99201

You choose the amount, say $20, and ask for an assortment of stamps to that value and a current tarrif (or find one on line).

In Canada, weigh your package (unsealed) then affix US stamps to the return envelope.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
The USPS website will tell you what stamp value you need by weight. I think you can even print out your own now.

MelodyO

Waiting for love on the web
Registered
Reaction score
I'm going to Arizona next week - if you'd like I can pick you up some stamps and mail them to you when I get home. If it's for your SASE, you'll only need one US-to-Canada stamp per query. Just a thought! Send me a private message (just click on my user name) if you're interested. :)

Last edited:

Chumplet

This hat is getting too hot
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.chumpletwrites.blogspot.com
I buy my U.S. stamps online. I go to their site and use my VISA card to purchase stamps for lettermail. I only provide an SASE for rejection letters (or request for more material!). If I need to use an SASE for anything more than a simple business size letter envelope, it's not worth the trouble. They can recycle the MS.

huntwriter

Registered
Reaction score
Website
members.shaw.ca
In most cases I email or phone the editor and ask what he/she prefers. Like aka eraser, I have found that most editors are quite happy to receive queries by email. One editor put it this way. “That way my desk will not get buried in paper.” Having said that, most of my queries are to magazine editors not book publishers.

Avalon

Linda J. Daly
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
I'm in the US, and am having trouble buying Canadian stamps (for an SASE). Canadapost won't ship to a US address (as far as I can see), and the clerks at my post office have never heard of International Reply Coupons (the USPS website mentions them once or twice, but I had to dig and there doesn't appear to be any way to order them online). Is there anyone in Canada who'd be interested in doing a stamp exchange? Five or ten dollars' worth of stamps, or something?

rhgibson

Registered
Reaction score
I've ordered US stamps on-line at the USPS website and didn't have any problems having them shipped to me. I agree with Chumplet that it's not worth it to have your manuscript returned. That way you don't have to worry about weights, etc. Just include a #10 business envelope for their reply and you'll always know that it's just regular postage.

BEWARE though. I made the mistake of buying forever stamps for a regular envelope, forgetting that to send a letter from the US to Canada requires postage for an INTERNATIONAL letter. So I ended up with a bunch of forever stamps for US internal mail. I ended up just putting two stamps on each envelope which was more than enough postage, but next time I'll be more careful.

Avalon, I think if you go to the Canada Post website and contact their customer service, they will send you Canadian stamps. Also remember that you're asking for stamps specifically for the US.

Carmy

Banned
Reaction score
Yup, Canada Post will help.

I once went to their philatelic board and ordered US stamps. Since then, they send me a glossy magazines intended for stamp collectors and I can't get them to stop. LOL

I'm wary of using my credit card on line so I won't do that again.

Status
Not open for further replies.