Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Thread: I have a new blog!

Ooo! Shiny new cover! Absolute Sage Cathy C's Avatar

I have a new blog!

Okay, so you've all convinced me that having a blog might be a good idea. So, I've started a new blog over at Blogger called PARAODDITY. It'll be a mix of writing advice, updates on our books and general "stuff." Would love for any of the experts here to offer some tips on what I might do better on it to attract readers. The link to it is in my sig.

Thanks!
    Want FREE reads? Click here!

Smiles!
    Cathy Clamp
    USA Today bestselling author
    FORBIDDEN, coming 8/15!
    My Website
    Follow me: Twitter
    Now on Facebook! Come friend me!

"[Shapeshifter] fans are about to hit the jackpot as Clamp returns to re-energize this amazing series. Searching for layered plotlines and complex characters? Look no further, as Clamp truly delivers!" -- RT BookReviews

"Cathy Clamp is a visionary author, creating new worlds that are both strong and vividly drawn. Adventure and excitement at its best." -- Yasmine Galenorn, New York Times Bestselling Author

"A struggling community under attack, compelling action, characters struggling with dark secrets ... FORBIDDEN hit all my favorite notes, and I love the rich world of the Sazi!" - Rachel Caine, New York Times Bestselling Author

Cathy, all the best with it, and congratulations on getting your blog up and running! I had a quick look, but my eyes were unable to read the white text with the black background. Could you make the black more grey or make the white text thicker? I honestly struggled on my laptop here.

Regarding traffic, I tend to get quite a lot from blogcatalog.com and Google. It's all about keyword searching on Google, and it's important that you submit a sitemap to Google if you want others to be able to find you on there. Metadata is also important to Google, although nobody is really sure just how Google use it.

Apart from that, just find as many search engines and blog directories as possible and start listing your blog.

I tried using blog carnivals to promote my site, but I rarely had traffic from them. Actually, I probably get the most *returning* hits from Facebook (you can add your blog to an application called "Networked Blogs") and message boards I sometimes write on (like here!). So having your blog in your signature is a great start.
    Life in the French Alps: www.lefrancophoney.com

...errr, I should also point out that I'm no expert. I'm sure someone else will come along who has far more knowledge and better input than me...
    Life in the French Alps: www.lefrancophoney.com

AW Addict
    Cathy,
    BY taking part in February Blog roll:
    http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/...d.php?t=129696
    and
    Blog Comment Blitz - 9th-19th Feb 2009
    http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/...d.php?t=129922
    You will immediately get some new visitors for sure. Some links for your blog from other blogs and some comments in your entries from some of us

Thanks for the comment, April! I looks fine on my screen, but I'll see what I can do. It's a Blogger template I used, but maybe I can customize it a bit. I'll see.

Smiles!
    Cathy Clamp
    FORBIDDEN, coming 8/15!
    My Website

"[Shapeshifter] fans are about to hit the jackpot as Clamp returns to re-energize this amazing series. Searching for layered plotlines and complex characters? Look no further, as Clamp truly delivers!" -- RT BookReviews

"Cathy Clamp is a visionary author, creating new worlds that are both strong and vividly drawn. Adventure and excitement at its best." -- Yasmine Galenorn, New York Times Bestselling Author

"A struggling community under attack, compelling action, characters struggling with dark secrets ... FORBIDDEN hit all my favorite notes, and I love the rich world of the Sazi!" - Rachel Caine, New York Times Bestselling Author

practical experience, FTW
    Quote Originally Posted by April Hollands View Post
    I had a quick look, but my eyes were unable to read the white text with the black background. Could you make the black more grey or make the white text thicker? I honestly struggled on my laptop here.
    Same here. I would consider doing the opposite, having a white background with black text. It's easier on readers' eyes.

-Andrew

White just seemed a little too stark. See what you think of it now.

Smiles!
    Cathy Clamp
    FORBIDDEN, coming 8/15!
    My Website

practical experience, FTW
    Quote Originally Posted by Cathy C View Post
    White just seemed a little too stark. See what you think of it now.
    Yeah, white is boring, but you could always spice up your blog and posts with images or a logo.

The gray is better but now the red is hard to read.

I don't mean to be annoying, I just want your readers to not be turned off by the colors.

-Andrew

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin

"...human mind loves images..."

Quote Originally Posted by Cathy C View Post
    Okay, so you've all convinced me that having a blog might be a good idea. So, I've started a new blog over at Blogger called PARAODDITY. It'll be a mix of writing advice, updates on our books and general "stuff." Would love for any of the experts here to offer some tips on what I might do better on it to attract readers. The link to it is in my sig.

Thanks!
    Cathy,

It's interesting... The site has a dark shadow
    which makes it a challenge to read. I'm not
    sure why it's appears because when I hit next
    blog it looks bright and readable.

To add to your blog would be images with your
    posts. The human mind loves images and it breaks
    the content.

You're off to an awesome start!

Have an awesome week!

Won't Be Denied,
    C.F. Jackson
    Download Your FREE 60 Minute Audio Tutorial on
    Book Marketing Online Strategies... Click Below!
    http://www.WebsiteMakeoverWorkshop.com