Respecting The Fellow Author

Status
Not open for further replies.

brainstorm77

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Wow, I cannot get over the many threads that often turn into author bashing.
What happened to the rule of respecting the fellow author?
Its fine not to like a book.. But when it gets down to making personal attacks on the author or calling the book s*i*, personally I think thats a tad much or talking about the authors personal life and looks. Just my opinion but would like hears yours on it.

Last edited:

CaroGirl

Living the dream
Registered
Reaction score
Could you be more specific? Do you mean authors on this site bashing other authors on this site, or authors on this site bashing published authors, or published authors bashing other published authors? The only thing I'm sure of is you don't mean published authors bashing authors on this site. :)

Reaction score
You're allowed to not like books.

I feel free to diss the ones I don't and praise the ones I do.

If you (in general, not the OP personally) don't have a thick skin when it comes to criticism, you're probably not cut out for this game.

I'll always call bad writing out and feel no guilt for doing so.

brainstorm77

Registered
Reaction score
Could you be more specific? Do you mean authors on this site bashing other authors on this site, or authors on this site bashing published authors, or published authors bashing other published authors? The only thing I'm sure of is you don't mean published authors bashing authors on this site. :)

I've come across all three.

brainstorm77

Registered
Reaction score
You're allowed to not like books.

I feel free to diss the ones I don't and praise the ones I do.

If you (in general, not the OP personally) don't have a thick skin when it comes to criticism, you're probably not cut out for this game.

I'll always call bad writing out and feel no guilt for doing so.

I'm not talking about liking a book I am talking about personal attacks on the author SP.

Reaction score
*sigh*

I know that.

You asked for opinions, I gave mine.

And calling a book 'shit' is not the same as calling the author shit. If I don't know the author, pfft. I have nothing to go on but what they put out there - the book.

If I spend money and time on a novel, I buy the right to have an opinion on it, whether good or bad.

Wayne K

Banned
Reaction score
I'm wondering about the bashing an author for their looks thing. I don't get why someone needs to be beautiful to be artistic. That mindset ruined the music business and is eroding acting as well. If writers now need to be good looking we're in deep trouble.

StevenJ

Bored Fanatic
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.salvatorepublishing.com
I think that part of the problem some AW members have with certain authors is the way they (the authors) react to criticism. We don't expect successful, popular authors to flounce or state that 'Everyone's picking on me!'

brainstorm77

Registered
Reaction score
I'm wondering about the bashing an author for their looks thing. I don't get why someone needs to be beautiful to be artistic. That mindset ruined the music business and is eroding acting as well. If writers now need to be good looking we're in deep trouble.

Very true.

Reaction score

Pfft. I'll be all right; just look at my avatar. I'm gorgeous.

CaroGirl

Living the dream
Registered
Reaction score
If I write something and share it by publishing it or putting it up for criticism, I can expect to have the writing judged. If a reader says something about my writing sucks, sure I'll be hurt, our work is like our baby. It's generally pretty personal. However, I would know that it was the work they were talking about, not me as a person. If someone reads my work and then says I'm a jerk and my feet smell like cheese, well, I'd actually take that less personally because that person does not know me and can't judge me. Readers can only judge the work, not me.

Ol' Fashioned Girl

Hand? What hand?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jenniferdahl.com
If you see personal attacks from one member on another member, report the post - it's the little triangle on the left with what looks like an exclamation point on it. I promise we - the Mods - will handle it.

As for authors not on the site... Scarlet's right. Calling a work shite isn't the same as calling an author shite.

Reaction score
Dear god. OFG. You said...you said..."Shite."

My illusions are shattered.

Delete my account. My life on AW is over.

Ol' Fashioned Girl

Hand? What hand?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jenniferdahl.com
Dear god. OFG. You said...you said..."Shite."

My illusions are shattered.

Delete my account. My life on AW is over.

Oh, honey! You should hear me in meatspace. I've got this string of invective that's been known to make burly male truckers swoon.

brainstorm77

Registered
Reaction score
Not talking about the writing being judged people... Talking about the author themselves!

CaroGirl

Living the dream
Registered
Reaction score
Who bashes authors' looks? If looks counted, Stephen King wouldn't be a millionaire. But Adrienne Kress would. And SP too, of course.

brainstorm77

Registered
Reaction score
I know some users feel the need to be nasty quite often ... But I'm talking about personal attacks .. not opinions on if a book is great or not.

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
Not talking about the writing being judged people... Talking about the author themselves!

You mean like when I say FREY IS SHIT? I will never refute that. When I say it, it is in context to his abilities to write a coherent sentence...not his personality. I stand by my words. I am not bitter, I am passing a judgement.

Status
Not open for further replies.