Stephen King blasts Stephenie Meyer

Status
Not open for further replies.

katiemac

Five by Five
Registered
Reaction score
The original article linked (and by default the topic of this post) is really taking this to the extreme. They've pulled out Meyer as the only focus when in fact King discusses the writing merits of Patterson, Koontz and Picoult, also. It's better balanced in the article nevada posted.

Interesting interview. He says she can't write worth a darn, then goes on to say that she's good at describing what teenage girls want/feel.

I didn't think it was so much that she can describe it well as it's she understands.

Mr. Anonymous

Just a guy with a pen & a delusion
Registered
Reaction score
I don't think that was very classy either. Sure, he has the right to think and say what he wants, but when it comes down to it, that just wasn't very nice.

miles

agent at The Knight Agency
Registered
Reaction score
Website
knightagency.net
The original article linked (and by default the topic of this post) is really taking this to the extreme. They've pulled out Meyer as the only focus when in fact King discusses the writing merits of Patterson, Koontz and Picoult, also. It's better balanced in the article nevada posted.

I didn't think it was so much that she can describe it well as it's she understands.

Thanks. I added nevada's link to the OP.

Reaction score
What else was he supposed to say when asked for his opinion?

If someone directly asks, "What do you think about so-and-so?" I'll tell them. If I hate them, I'll say so. If I love them, I'll say so.

Was he supposed to dress it up in, "Hmm, she's not my cup of tea," to avoid offending the sensibilities of those who wouldn't be so forthright themselves?

Now, to me, there's a difference between setting out to blast someone, and being asked for your opinion and subsequently giving it. (B) applies here. HE WAS ASKED.

And really, "can't write worth a darn," unclassy? Please. He could have said "Stephenie Meyer writes shit," but he didn't. He said she can't write worth a darn.

Pretty mild in my opinion and you know what? If such words were ever directed at me, I'd think, "Meh. His opinion. I respect that," and I'd get over it.

At least he's being honest instead of pussyfooting around it like some wusses I could mention (no-one here, so no, it's not directed at you), scared to have an opinion on anything in case someone gets butthurt about it.

Virector

The only one
Registered
Reaction score
According to Stephen, "Both Rowling and Meyer, they're speaking directly to young people... The real difference is that Jo Rowling is a terrific writer and Stephenie Meyer can't write worth a darn. She's not very good."

:D

I love JKR. I hate SM... no, sorry, I have absolutely nothing against her, I just really, REALLY don't like her books. At all.

Last edited:

Mr. Anonymous

Just a guy with a pen & a delusion
Registered
Reaction score
What else was he supposed to say when asked for his opinion?

If someone directly asks, "What do you think about so-and-so?" I'll tell them. If I hate them, I'll say so. If I love them, I'll say so.

Was he supposed to dress it up in, "Hmm, she's not my cup of tea," to avoid offending the sensibilities of those who wouldn't be so forthright themselves?

Now, to me, there's a difference between setting out to blast someone, and being asked for your opinion and subsequently giving it. (B) applies here. HE WAS ASKED.

And really, "can't write worth a darn," unclassy? Please. He could have said "Stephenie Meyer writes shit," but he didn't. He said she can't write worth a darn.

Pretty mild in my opinion and you know what? If such words were ever directed at me, I'd think, "Meh. His opinion. I respect that," and I'd get over it.

At least he's being honest instead of pussyfooting around it like some wusses I could mention (no-one here, so no, it's not directed at you), scared to have an opinion on anything in case someone gets butthurt about it.
Look, all I'm saying is, if I wrote a book and a really well known, well respected author, who I myself might read, went out and said that I "couldn't write worth a darn," well, honestly I'd be a little upset.

If I were in his place, I'd have just said that I hadn't had a chance to read them (remember how our mothers used to say, if you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all?) and that they didn't really sound up my alley. And considering the target audience for the series is teenage girls, nobody would've given it a second thought.

Don't get me wrong, I still respect King a hell of a lot. I just would've acted differently (or at least, think I would have.)

TerzaRima

Absinthe O'Malice
Registered
Reaction score
I agree, Mr. A. I don't like to see writers or actors sniping like this at one another, regardless of what I think of their talent. And (I know this is sacrilege on AW) I don't think SK is all that, either. He's Dostoevksy compared to Meyer, but he's got a terrible style.

C.bronco

I have plans...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
cynthia-bronco.blogspot.com
I've neither read Meyer, nor seen the movie. An accquaintance saw the movie, and felt that Meyer was stating that a bad relationship was okay, or the norm.

It piqued my interest. I may have to read the first novel.

LOG

Lagrangian
Registered
Reaction score
<<Has absolutely zero ability to differentiate between writing quality.
I can't form an opinion and so, I don't have to worry my head going, "Whos' better than who."
It all reads the same to me, except for Shakespeare and Tolkien, I can follow what they're saying, it just takes longer for my brain to shift gears and follow them.

(This is a perfectly good waste of cyberpsace, oooh, I made it rhyme. >.<)

LeslieB

Geek Unique
Registered
Reaction score
Meh. I can't blame King. Twilight is drek that I won't let my daughters read for the same reason I don't let them watch soap operas. I don't want them to think the characters have any relationship to how real human beings behave.

Toothpaste

THE RECKLESS RESCUE is out now!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.adriennekress.com
You know, I would love to be in the position when asked a question that I could answer it honestly. And this was the perfect situation for King. He is a rich, famous, successful author. He isn't burning any bridges that will ultimately affect his career by saying what he did. SM is a rich, famous, successful author. King saying he thinks she isn't very good isn't going to negatively affect her sales or success (unlike one of his blurbs for an unknown which can subsequently propel the author into stardom).

King was able to be so honest about all those authors because neither he nor the authors would feel the pinch. It was a moment of honesty, a moment where honesty could do no harm to anyone involved. A rare rare thing. I'd take advantage of it myself.

But let's be honest folks. She can't write well. She can't. No one who likes her books who also understands the craft of writing would insist on this. There can still be a debate over storytelling, and story structuring. But her ability to put words to the page is not very good, and even fans will admit to that.

He didn't say she was a bad person.

He didn't say she needed to cut her hair or something.

He was commenting on her writing.

Another writer commenting on the technique of another.

And no one got hurt. Maybe some egos got bruised, but it isn't like SM doesn't have means to build hers up again.

So I approve. I do.

Virector

The only one
Registered
Reaction score
You know, I would love to be in the position when asked a question that I could answer it honestly. And this was the perfect situation for King. He is a rich, famous, successful author. He isn't burning any bridges that will ultimately affect his career by saying what he did. SM is a rich, famous, successful author. King saying he thinks she isn't very good isn't going to negatively affect her sales or success (unlike one of his blurbs for an unknown which can subsequently propel the author into stardom).

King was able to be so honest about all those authors because neither he nor the authors would feel the pinch. It was a moment of honesty, a moment where honesty could do no harm to anyone involved. A rare rare thing. I'd take advantage of it myself.

But let's be honest folks. She can't write well. She can't. No one who likes her books who also understands the craft of writing would insist on this. There can still be a debate over storytelling, and story structuring. But her ability to put words to the page is not very good, and even fans will admit to that.

He didn't say she was a bad person.

He didn't say she needed to cut her hair or something.

He was commenting on her writing.

Another writer commenting on the technique of another.

And no one got hurt. Maybe some egos got bruised, but it isn't like SM doesn't have means to build hers up again.

So I approve. I do.

Well said.

Darzian

To-to-to-ron-to
Registered
Reaction score
Perfectly acceptable, as he was asked a question and he answered it truthfully.

Stlight

ideas are floating where they will
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
where you can put sugar sprinkles on lots of thing
Yes, he did.

I tried to read his stuff, but it's doesn't work for me. It's actually hard to avoid his stuff with everyone saying, "You're a writer, you really, really, really need to read SK on writing." I quit arguing that a long time ago. Now it gets a nod and thank you.

One thing he did was make me decide to keep an eye out for Twillight, because of the concept. I was beginning to be drawn to the concept from earlier posts, now I want to at least read one.

And TerzaRima, you and Akeraser are not alone.

SirOtter

Il Cavaliere Marino
Registered
Reaction score
Dan Brown can't write his way out of a pay toilet, either, but he still takes some serious bucks to the bank, based on what his fans claim is significant story-telling ability. Good for him, and for Ms Meyer, I say. I won't be contributing to either one's exchequer, but I don't begrudge them accumulating whatever pelf they can.

Jerry B. Flory

under the Milky Way
Registered
Reaction score
There have been all those people who like to burn King's books and burn Harry Potter books and they're probably burning Twilight as well.
Plenty of people have given King the negative review, not always based on his ability to write but more about his content.
There aren't many in the literary field who doubt his skill, but there are thousands who would still like to lynch the publisher who let Meyer in.

People like King and invite him and Peter Straub to do the oddball project. I believe it was Spawn comics that had prologues by King and Straub. They're invited to the conventions, to the premieres, to a lot of literary events that Meyer is not.
J.K Rowling, a billionaire in seven books. Not even King did that. And her audience grew and grew where Meyer's stagnated in basically one market.

King speaks the truth with the wisdom and accummulated knowledge of a seasoned pro and celebrity whose opinions are considered golden in the literary world.

If he says Meyer sucks, who am I to doubt the King?:cool:

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
Ah, I knew King was one of the few popular authors I really respected for a reason. He's not quite my cup of tea, but that man can write pretty damn well, and I like him a hell of a lot more now. :)

Red.Ink.Rain

Not your kid brother's YA
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kristin-briana.livejournal.com
But let's be honest folks. She can't write well. She can't. No one who likes her books who also understands the craft of writing would insist on this. T

So I approve. I do.

*raises hand slowly*

I admittedly liked The Host. Will I be kicked out of the "People who understand the craft of writing" club?

At any rate, that article amused me a little. Mostly because he was commenting on her writing in a totally polite way. It was awesome.

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
I admittedly liked The Host. Will I be kicked out of the "People who understand the craft of writing" club?

Liking something is very different from being blind to its flaws.

There's nothing wrong with enjoying her books, though.

For those who can manage that....more power to them.

Libbie

Worst song played on ugliest guitar
Registered
Reaction score
This is very funny. People who like King with say "yeah!" People who like Meyer will say "F- you, Stephen."

But what do those of you who like both of them think?

http://omg.yahoo.com/news/stephen-k...henie-meyer-can-t-write-worth-a-darn/18406?nc

full article:

http://blogs.usaweekend.com/whos_news/2009/02/exclusive-steph.html (thanks nevada)

How about those of us who think they're both terrible at their craft?

Although I think King's writing is consistently predictable and therefore boring, he is, I must admit, much more experienced and seems to have more talent than Meyer. So I'm siding with The King as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.