Website
knightagency.net
Last edited:

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
:ROFL:

"Both Rowling and Meyer, they're speaking directly to young people... The real difference is that Jo Rowling is a terrific writer and Stephenie Meyer can't write worth a darn. She's not very good."

Also: :popcorn:

Kathleen42

crushing on fictional characters
Registered
Reaction score
I think that, as quoted, it's not terribly classy. I'm a bit disappointed.

Reaction score
STEPHEN KING I LOVE YOU AND WANT TO HAVE YOUR BABIES.

MWAH. MWAH.

Srsly.

I want to run out and buy all his books, the movies' DVDs and all that shit just so everyone knows STEPHEN KING ROCKS.

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
King's usually pretty frank about his opinions, so I'm not surprised. I was asked just the other night (again) if I'd read Twilight. I haven't but it comes up so often that I'm curious just to have an opinion one way or another.

Hmmm... I wonder if there's representative enough sample on Amazon, or if ScarletPeaches will send me gently used copies?

Last edited:
Reaction score
'Gently' as in the pages I didn't use for toilet paper? ;)

But regarding whether this remark was classy or not...I find it restrained, and its restraint tells me it was genuine.

King's allowed to have opinions. He voiced one. He didn't swear (unless you count 'darn' as a profanity) so what's the problem?

Again, it comes down to people who say Meyer can't write worth a darn have plenty of proof to back this up. Those who say she's a good writer have no proof.

Now, as to storytelling as opposed to writing ability, here, King acknowledges Meyer's popularity. And it's true. She sells like hot cakes.

That does not make her a good writer.

King thinks it doesn't. So what? You buy a book, you buy the right to an opinion on it. More power to him, I say. Having a prominent position doesn't mean he should keep his trap shut when asked for an opinion. That's like saying he doesn't have the same rights to free speech we all do.

Kaiser-Kun

!
Registered
Reaction score
What are the odds for Meyer responding in a quiet, mature way?

Reaction score
What are the odds for Meyer responding in a quiet, mature way?

I doubt she'll hear about it. Her loving brother Seth, who does her website, will screen all badness and throw a hissy fit on her behalf.

"You are all disrespecting Stephenie and you don't understand how hard it is being under such pressure!" :rolleyes:

I think she's got very pretty covers.

I've always said that.

Shame what's between them resembles what came out of my mouth last time I had a migraine.

Storm Dream

Into the blue memory
Registered
Reaction score
Interesting interview. He says she can't write worth a darn, then goes on to say that she's good at describing what teenage girls want/feel.

Lots of people have said the exact same thing about Meyer, so I don't know that King should have refrained just because he's famous (or because he's Stephen King). She's quite secure -- her books have sold millions, will continue to sell, the movies are coming out, etc. King saying "ZOMG YOU SUCK" isn't going to kill her career by a longshot.

He's usually pretty outspoken in his columns, isn't he? I tend to appreciate honesty.

(A friend of mine likes Meyer AND King. Eep.)

(It will be fun to watch all the devoted Meyer fangrrls flip out over this.)

Kaiser-Kun

!
Registered
Reaction score
(It will be fun to watch all the devoted Meyer fangrrls flip out over this.)

I have a guilty, guilty pleasure in seeing fanboys/girl (and their authors) throwing stuff at each other. I hope that if she answers, it'll be Uwe Boll-style.

ICONATOR_2e987ab70e05f9bc0834b742e0911573.gif

Kathleen42

crushing on fictional characters
Registered
Reaction score
*shrug* I suppose I just put it down to a sort of professional courtesy. I've worked with people I've found shockingly incompetent and, while I may have expressed this opinion to a few people, I've not shouted it from the mountaintops.

He absolutely has the right to express his opinion just as I have the right to express an opinion regarding the venue and wording he's chosen.

Mr. Chuckletrousers

Sith happens.
Registered
Reaction score
There are already some gems in the comments of that article nevada linked:

Plus, what's up with "can’t write worth a darn." I don't believe that is correct grammer.
I thought most authors knew their grammer well
He himself is another author that I am sure a lot of people think HE is horrible writer.
Stephen king has no room to talk he writes about sick sh*t all the time and, are generation cant understantd him AT ALL. Stephine Meyer is talking from are point of view, and who cares what he says I think she is the best d*nm writer.She is the only writer where i have read all the books so stephen u can suck it.
You all that are that are ranting and raving about Stephanie are some egotistical, no taste having, complete morons! She is the most creative, most successful writer in current time. There are so many people reading these novels by this amazingly, talented woman, it is changing the minds of our youth. She has given our children insintive to open a book and expand our thinking. Stephen King is a very good writer, but he is completely dumb founded about her skill ad talent. He has absolutely no reason bombard on her parade and success, he has had his time in the spot light.....
Stephen King is the Beatles.
Ms. Meyers is the Jonas Brothers.

Leaf

Registered
Reaction score
I think that, as quoted, it's not terribly classy. I'm a bit disappointed.

It's Stephen King, a writer of the dark and twisted, who's also suffered being hit directly by a car. He's not very classy to begin with, but I sure as hell agree with him here.

(Yay!)

I find it more just a criticism, and his idea of why it's successful. No offense to Stephanie Meyer fans.

EDIT: I find the third quote in Mr. Chuckletrouser's post to be hilarious.

Reaction score
I can sleep well tonight, knowing that someone, somewhere...

...is shitting on smeyer.

stormie

storm central
Registered
Reaction score
Still three blocks from the Atlantic Ocean
Website
www.anneskal.wordpress.com
I dunno. When I clicked on the link and saw the photos of S.King and S.Meyer side-by-side.... They both look like the living dead.

Anyway, the next time the library has their 25 cent book sale, I'll pick up Twilight. All this talk about it makes me want to see for myself.

Kaiser-Kun

!
Registered
Reaction score
You mean challenge him to a "charity" boxing match?

I actually meant putting up an angry YouTube video, but nevermind. After seeing the link scarletpeaches posted, I've got all the guilty pleasure I could ever ask for.

Status
Not open for further replies.