Sportsmanship

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
I'm lousy at naming threads like these, but this link is to a video from a local DFW news piece on a coach at a Gainsville high school. When Coach Hogan's team was scheduled to play a juvenille facility's team - one who has zero fan support - he requested (in advance) that half of his team's fans cheer for them rather than the home team. Hogan even made a "spirit" line for the visiting team, and it was the first time they'd ever gotten to run one.

With all of the negative news that gets put out, it's nice to see a postive article now and again (especially considering how rapid Texans are about winning football...)

http://www.nbcdfw.com/sports/football/A_Game_of_Hope_Dallas-Fort_Worth.html

Monkey

Is me.
Registered
Reaction score
I think it's cool that half the fans--or at least some of the fans--were willing to cheer for the other team.

They didn't think of them as some sort of enemy to be defeated, but recognized that they were kids and they needed support. Kudos.

William Haskins

poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
I think it's cool that half the fans--or at least some of the fans--were willing to cheer for the other team.

They didn't think of them as some sort of enemy to be defeated, but recognized that they were kids and they needed support. Kudos.

beautifully said, and i agree wholeheartedly.

Don

All Living is Local
Registered
Reaction score
What a great story. Once in a while you see something that give you a little hope. :)

Jcomp

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I had read about this a few days back and thought it was a cool story as well. Nice to see a positive story creep in once in a while.

Contemplative

AW Addict
Registered
Reaction score
This is really nice to read about. It also does give me a better perspective of a good coach's role, in regards to the other thread.

And yes, the higher notability of negative events doesn't increase their objective incidence, compared to the brighter things. They just make news more.

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
Contemplative said JUST WHAT I SAID!

Or what I would have said...if...he/she hadn't already seen it...