• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Havenhurst Books

Pioneer

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.grantmadden.com
havenhurstbooks.com/hybrid.html

Using the words hybrid, independent and highly self motivated.

I've had no contact with them but was referred to them.

I'm unsure and looking for opinions. Please.

Last edited by a moderator:

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Submissions require a "Non-refundable processing fee of $15 payable via money order to “Havenhurst Books.” Pass.

Nandi

Registered
Reaction score
Traditional publishing is a stumbling block for many first-time writers – even those with extraordinary talent.There is no guarantee your proposal is even read. If it is, it won't necessarily reach the appropriate decision-maker. At Havenhurst, the decision-makers read every submission thoroughly.

Previously published authors are often frustrated with the cumbersome timeline, bureaucracy, lack of control, and meager royalties.

On the other hand, self-publishing not only carries a debilitating stigma, the production value is often extremely disappointing.

Havenhurst Books offers the world’s first hybrid alternative.

World's first hybrid alternative?
Isn't this simply subsidy publishing? What's new about that?

Gillhoughly

Grumpy writer and editor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Getting blitzed at Gillhoughly's Reef, Haleakaloha
Run away.

Ask the person who referred them, "What the bleep were you thinking???"

Go to a bookstore. Check the inside page of books similar to your own. Try those publishers first.

When subbing ALWAYS start at the top.

And welcome to AW!!! :partyguy::welcome:

Joey's Mom

Registered
Reaction score
Hi All -

I didn't see a fee listed on their site so I emailed them. I got an email back saying they don't charge submission fees and authors are not required to front money for their books. More confused than ever now after reading these posts. I don't mind submitting my book idea to a new publishing company but want to make sure I'm not missing the fine print here. What gives?

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Through the magic of Google Cache, here's what their submissions page used to say (bolding mine):
Submission Guidelines

Please follow the guidelines carefully. All material must be submitted together. Material submitted separately will not be considered or returned. We are only considering English language books at this time.

Required Material:

• Letter of Inquiry, including: Your name, address, phone number,
email, how you heard about us
• Brief synopsis (1-2 paragraphs)
• One-page author bio or résumé highlighting credentials
• Complete table of contents
• One Sample Chapter
• One-page Description of the target audience
• One-page argument outlining your book’s unique advantage in the market.
Please provide similar titles if applicable.
• One self-addressed, stamped #10 (business size) envelope.
Non-refundable processing fee of $15 payable via money order to “Havenhurst Books.”

No full manuscripts please.

If you have more than one book proposal, each book proposal must be submitted separately.

Send all materials to:

Havenhurst Books
Editorial Submissions
7985 Santa Monica Blvd., Suite 365
West Hollywood, CA 90046

IMPORTANT INFORMATION: Send only copies of your materials. Do not send any original manuscripts, documents, or artwork, as they will not be returned. We will not be held liable for materials lost or destroyed in the mail. If possible, use white paper and black type. You may staple material, but please do not include heavy clips (other than normal paper clips) to organize your proposal. To avoid folding the pages, we suggest you send your proposal in a large business envelope (e.g. 10 X 13). Please DO NOT send material in three ring binders or heavy presentation folders. You may send your proposal overnight or by express delivery, but this is not necessary unless you require tracking information. Please remember to enclose a #10 (business size) self-addressed, stamped envelope with your proposal. Type or print your address legibly to ensure proper delivery. Please avoid sending additional support material (DVDs, CDs, brochures, author photos, previously published material) with your initial submission.

Our Pledge

Our editorial review board evaluates each submission carefully. Please be patient.

Havenhurst Books will invite up to 12 authors a year to participate in Authors Share A Profit (ASAP). Please keep in mind that this is an ongoing submission process and proposals are reviewed in the order they are received. We will continue to update the site as new books are chosen for publication. Once our 2009 catalog is complete, any proposals received thereafter will be automatically considered for our 2010 catalog.

You’ll Hear From Us

If our editors are interested in moving forward, you will be contacted within 9 weeks.

If your book is not a good fit with Havenhurst Books, we will send you a letter explaining the reason for our decision, within the same time frame. Please do not give up. We strongly encourage you to keep looking for a publisher. We believe everyone has a story to tell. It’s just a matter of finding the right people to help you tell it.

Repeat Submissions

If you make revisions to your book proposal and wish for us to reevaluate based on these changes, you may submit your revised proposal after a 9-week waiting period. The same submission process must be followed, but please note in your letter of inquiry that this is a repeat submission and include a copy of the initial rejection letter.

Gillhoughly

Grumpy writer and editor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Getting blitzed at Gillhoughly's Reef, Haleakaloha
Hi All -

I didn't see a fee listed on their site so I emailed them. I got an email back saying they don't charge submission fees and authors are not required to front money for their books. More confused than ever now after reading these posts. I don't mind submitting my book idea to a new publishing company but want to make sure I'm not missing the fine print here. What gives?

First off, welcome to AW. Hope you stick around, this is the best place to learn what you need to know!

:welcome:

Second -- CaoPaux found the fee. Run away from this one.

Third -- one of the nastiest "publishers" doesn't charge submission fees or ask for upfront money, yet they rip off thousands of neos every year. (That would be Publish America, and they have their own special forum here.)

Fourth -- a legit publisher wouldn't even mention submission fees or that they don't charge authors upfront money. (Okay scam houses leave out that info, too.)

How to find a legit publisher?

Go to a bookstore and look inside the front pages or the spines to get the names you need. Check their websites for submission guidelines.

Find out who agents for authors whose works are similar to your own.

Scam publishers will not have books in the stores. (Except for PA writers who have personally begged store managers for shelf space, but now you know better than to go to PA!)

It is a rookie mistake to try a new publisher or a small press, thinking that they will look more kindly on your shiny new first effort.

The fact is, legit small presses have to be MUCH MORE PICKY on their choices because they operate on a much more narrow margin than a larger house. They can't afford to make mistakes. Few to none will risk going with a first novel unless you're a Mozart when it comes to word-slinging.

In publishing always start at the TOP with the biggest house you can find and work your way down!

Good luck!

inkkognito

Onlyifyouwanttowillyoufin daway-Enya
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.barbnefer.com
Something else that raises red flags right on their front web page is the fact that it's aimed at authors, not promoting books. I'm noticing that more and more with the vanities and suspicious publishers.

Judi B

Registered
Reaction score
Victoria says Havenhurst "isn't the only one" to refer to themselves as a "hybrid." Out of curiosity I clicked on the link expecting to be taken to The Writers' Collective (still around, unfortunately) and found someone else instead. So there are at least two "hybrids." The TWC website doesn't look like it's been updated since heck was a pup and I don't think they've done more than a book a year for many years. Anybody know anything new about them? Are they still publishing?

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
If you're asking about TWC, their thread is here.

Donna Pudick

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Always remember, and never forget, even the teeniest, tiniest traditional publishers charge no fees whatsoever to the author. Even publishers who don't pay advances or who pay very small royalties charge nothing to the author.

Even non-profit, charitable organizations who publish books charge nothing to the author.

Read this ten times a day.

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
The "hybrid" page is gone. Home page: havenhurstbooks.com

Last edited:

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Last books published in '11, and Chrome is blocking site for malware. Callin' it dead.