Book Publicists?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leigh86

Registered
Reaction score
Holy Crap! Okay, I just got used to having to find a literary agent, but now I find out that I'll eventually need to get a literary publicist too??!!
Somebody help me out here!

Reaction score
Huh? I've never heard that. Publicity is something with which you concern yourself once the book's published, I always thought.

dpaterso

Also in our Discord and IRC chat channels
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
derekpaterson.net
Methinks this is too complex a question for poor wittle Basic Writing Questions forum -- moving thread to AW Roundtable.

-Derek

Kathleen42

crushing on fictional characters
Registered
Reaction score
One step at a time, little grasshopper. Yes, you can hire a publicist but this is not something you need to worry about until after you get an agent and have been published.

Also, I don't think it's a requirement. If you are very lucky, at some stage in your career you will need one but I suspect this need only occurs once you've hit a certain level of sales (published folk feel free to jump in and correct) and are doing major publicity.

Bufty

Where have the last ten years gone?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I take it you have neither yet.

Find an Agent first and forget the publicist.

Holy Crap! Okay, I just got used to having to find a literary agent, but now I find out that I'll eventually need to get a literary publicist too??!!

IceCreamEmpress

Hapless Virago
Registered
Reaction score

You don't necessarily need a book publicist.

However, if you choose to hire one, there are many good ones, and you won't need to hire one until after you've signed your book contract. In fact, it would be silly to hire one before then, because they need to know things like your book's release date before they can do anything on your behalf.

So don't borrow trouble--wait until you've got a book contract, and then come back here and we'll give you recommendations for book publicists if you want one.

Claudia Gray

Registered
Reaction score
Your publisher will handle most publicity. If you want to hire another publicist, that's fine too, but it's not something you have to worry about at this stage -- and possibly not ever.

Toothpaste

THE RECKLESS RESCUE is out now!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.adriennekress.com
Also the good news about publicists is that you don't have to audition for them. Yes some of the top ones can afford to be pickier, but you pay them to do a job. It isn't quite the same as finding an agent, it's more like when you hire a lawyer or something. So if and when you do decide you want an outside publicist, it's a much easier task. Problem is, it can also get quite pricey.

I will add that since acquiring my publicist, I have been very very happy with the results. Some of you guys saw the article with the photoshoot that I mentioned in "Goals and Accomplishments" that I did. That was all courtesy of my publicist. She's excellent at thinking outside the box. But the others here make a good point as well. Hopefully your publisher's publicist will do most of the work. It just all depends. Because, to be honest, some in house publicists aren't that great, and even if they are, they are stretched thin representing all the house's authors, not just you.

It's a case by case kind of thing.

katiemac

Five by Five
Registered
Reaction score
Right, as most have said, many publishers will publicize the book. If it's not to the scale you like, then you can hire a publicist. Some agencies, like Folio, offer free publicity services to their authors and extra items at a cost.

It's also possible to publicize, at least locally, on your own.

Mumut

Well begun is half done...
Registered
Reaction score
My second publisher hires the publicist - and at no expense to the author, of course. Just wait until you have a publisher offer to publish the book then see what they say about it.

Leigh86

Registered
Reaction score
I already understood that I wouldn't have to worry about this until I have the agent and publishing contract. (Sorry I didn't make that clear).
I'm the kind of person who likes to know about EVERYTHING before it takes place, that was I'm ready in advance.
I was just concerned because I hadn't even heard anything about the publicist thing until yesterday. Glad it's not something I have to add on to my huge mountain of stress! Or at least not yet.
Thanks for the info and thanks for putting my post where it needed to be. (You'd figure I'd have this down by now!)
Thanks again!

happywritermom

Registered
Reaction score
I've known many fairly successful published authors (my husband included) and none of them ever hired a publicist. Unless you anticipate a ton of money in royalties, it generally isn't worth it. Publicity is a lot of hard work, but you can do a great deal of it on your own. I would buy a PR book and spend sometime learning about publicity while you are querying agents.

Status
Not open for further replies.