• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Spiny Norman

Registered
Reaction score
Website
shufflingandmuttering.blogspot.com
Hey, folks. I'm talking with my editor right now and he's got a great mock-up of my cover. The only problem is that he and his art department like using just my first name and last name, whereas I'm partial to my full name with the middle name included.

The issue, as usual, comes down to genre. (And a bit of typography.) "Robert Bennett" has the short, sort of bland appeal that most thrillers have - short, forgettable name paired with huge, imposing title. "Robert Jackson Bennett", like "David Foster Wallace," has sort of a more literary appeal, I think, but it can crowd the cover, which I absolutely love.

But forget all that. What's your kneejerk reaction to these names? Which one is more memorable, or which one do you find objectionable?

Pardon the massive vanity, insecurity, and self-indulgence of this poll. I'm just really torn here.

MaryMumsy

the original blond bombshell
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I think if you want your full name, try to influence them. To me it is more distinctly 'you'. Lots of authors in many genres use three names. James Lee Burke and Mary Higgins Clark come to mind right away.

MM

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Just a personal opinion and nothing more . . . I like Robert Bennett better in this case.

Still, I believe a person should generally be allowed to use whatever combination of his name that he likes. I don't particularly like my middle name; no one is ever going to put it on a book cover no matter how much the editor might like it (not that they're beating my door down to actually put it on a cover . . . )

Last edited:

Kate Thornton

Still Happy to be Here. Or Anywhere
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.katethornton.net
I like the full name - has a nice ring to it! But the bottom line is that it's your book - so you should get what you want.

Mad Queen

California Mountain Snake
Registered
Reaction score
Robert J Bennett?

WittyWordsmith

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.KinseyMoberg.com
I like the full name effect. Also, for some reason, I think if you use the full name, people won't be likely to call you Bob Bennett, which you are not. I don't know why you'd be called that, but it popped into my head, so it might happen to someone else too, ya never know. Use your full name if you can.

DeadlyAccurate

Absolutely Fazed
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.carlaharker.com
Robert J Bennett?

I like this, though I like just first/last, too.

Robert Jackson Bennett is a bit of a mouthful when it comes to asking for your books in the store.

"I'm looking for the latest Robert Bennett novel."
"I'm looking for the latest Robert J. Bennett novel."
"I'm looking for the latest Robert Jackson Bennett novel." <--Likely to get shortened to the first one by your readers.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.