• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Kate Nash Literary Agency

Marian Perera

starting over
Registered
Reaction score
Heaven is a place on earth called Toronto.
Website
www.marianperera.com
A friend of mine* is considering a literary agent called Kate Nash, and I was wondering whether anyone knew anything about her. I googled her but only came across her blog, which was started this year.

She founded a marketing company/PR firm which works with publishers, but the agent side of it leaves me less than enthused. Her "About" page says that "She is looking for great stories and to represent writers who are serious about their careers." That's great, it separates her from all the literary agents who are looking for mediocre stories. What about genres, or agenting experience, or sales?

*It really is a friend, not me.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
As far as I understand it, Kate Nash has published three or four novels (romance, I think) under the name Kate Allan; she runs a small PR agency (I think with her husband, but could be hugely wrong on that front!); and at the start of this year she set herself up as a literary agent, too.

I don't know Kate, but have had a little contact with her: there was our brief interraction on my blog, a single phone call and a couple of quick emails. It turns out that we have several mutual writing friends, which is going to make it a little difficult for me to comment here as freely as I'd like to--no matter which side of the discussion I favour!

I do wish Kate well, but suspect that she has a very difficult task ahead of her, bearing in mind her apparent lack of any agenting or editorial experience.

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome, Kate. Were you able to remember which publishers you claim require repayment of advance for low sales?

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
The claim is in the comments to the blog post Victoria linked to.

Stacia Kane

Girl Detective
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.staciakane.com
Her blog is interesting, especially her take on Authonomy.

I'm not entirely familiar with how UK queries work; I know they are a bit different from US ones. But I've never seen an agent anywhere ask for a query without a hook of any kind (or refer to mss as "scripts") as she does here:

http://slushpilemountaineering.wordpress.com/2009/01/29/query-letters-less-is-more/

She does ask for a synopsis, so perhaps that's why? Is that usual for UK agents? I thought even then you wanted to give the query a hook (and I personally never told an agent who else if any was looking at the work--at least not until I had an offer of representation--but if it's specifically asked for I guess you should).

Anna Magdalena

Your friendly cynic
Registered
Reaction score
Website
theelephantinthewritingroom.blogspot.com
Hi DecemberQuinn.

I'm a UK writer. UK agents vary in their requirements but most agents here tend not to want query letters--for fiction anyway. What they generally ask for (in the 2 major British listings books The Writer's and Artist's Yearbook and The Writer's Handbook.) is a synopsis and the first 2 or 3 chapters with a very brief and concise covering letter.

Marian Perera

starting over
Registered
Reaction score
Heaven is a place on earth called Toronto.
Website
www.marianperera.com
Kate Nash replied to my email and gave her consent to my posting her answers here.

"1. Genres. Adult novel-length fiction please. No children's, scripts or poetry.
At the moment I am especially looking for chick lit, women's fiction, historical fiction, crime and thrillers. Also humour, Westerns, high concept stories, and anything with a "cosy" or "retro" element.

2. Agenting experience. A few weeks! Having previously worked for Myrmidon Books on rights I waited until my contract with Myrmidon ended on 31st December 2008 before setting up the agency to make sure there was no conflict of interest. If your friend would like references, not a problem.

3. Sales. Give me a chance... lol
I will be making an announcement about clients soon, and will report significant rights sales to the trade press.

There is some more information about my background on my author website: www.kateallan.com
Biography here: http://www.kateallan.com/9601.html

Someone on the thread asked about my editorial experience:

I have been a manuscript reader for the Romantic Novelists Association New Writers Scheme since 2005 and I have been an editor for Writers Workshop (a manuscript critique service) since 2006. I have had novels of my own published with Robert Hale and DC Thomson and a fifth should be out later this year.

I completely understand that there are scam agents which appear from nowhere and it is important to verify that people are who they say they are but I am well known in many writing circles having been involved with the RNA and the Historical Novels Society (I was features editor at Solander magazine), and also as the founder of the Get Writing conference which takes place in St Albans and is now in its third year. This year our speakers include Barry Cunningham of Chicken House Press and the publisher who discovered JK Rowling, and authors agents John Jarrold and Jonathan Pegg (ex-Curtis Brown)."

Last edited:

chancerychislett

better at querying than writing...
Registered
Reaction score
Anybody know anything about her response time? Just queried and she seems like a dream agents for me!

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
I met Kate Nash at the RNA winter party last month, and she was perfectly nice.

However: not only is she working as an agent: she also works on PR for Myrmidon Books (and other publishers, I assume); and she's organising the Writers' Workshop conference in York. Not that these are bad things: she seems to be a busy woman involved in all sorts of publishing-related work. But I do wonder how available she is as an agent if she's also doing so much else.

chancerychislett

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the insight! I'm really interested in her involvement with Choc Lit, so I went ahead and took a shot at querying her, so I shall see ;D

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Has posted some clients and sales. I presume the "Kate Allan" she lists is herself. Anyone know who/what MWPN is?

ETA re: MWPN -- The books in question are listed elsewhere as pubbed by Belgrave House/Regency Reads.

Last edited:
Reactions: kelliewallace

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Yep, Kate Nash writes as Kate Allan.

But what MWPN is I have no idea.

Momento Mori

Tired and Disillusioned
Registered
Reaction score
CaoPaux:
Anyone know who/what MWPN is?

I can't find anything for it on the web. Closes is MWN Press, which is an Indian printing/publishing company.

MM

chancerychislett

Registered
Reaction score
Never heard back, just for the record.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Kate Nash replied to my email and gave her consent to my posting her answers here.

"1. Genres. Adult novel-length fiction please. No children's, scripts or poetry.
At the moment I am especially looking for chick lit, women's fiction, historical fiction, crime and thrillers. Also humour, Westerns, high concept stories, and anything with a "cosy" or "retro" element.

2. Agenting experience. A few weeks! Having previously worked for Myrmidon Books on rights I waited until my contract with Myrmidon ended on 31st December 2008 before setting up the agency to make sure there was no conflict of interest. If your friend would like references, not a problem."

My bold.

Kate was made a director of Myrmidon in June 2010.

She's also set up a new website for romance writers very recently, complete with message-board.

ETA: while at her Festival Of Romance website I clicked on the link to the festival details, and found this:

Readers, authors and publishers can all be involved in the UK's first Romantic Fiction convention.

(Sorry, I can't give you a link to it because it's a Flash site, I think: just go here, and click on "festival" in the green strip along the top.)

I find that a rather strange claim for Kate to make, as the UK's Romantic Novelists' Association has been running conventions for donkeys' years and Kate's an active member of the RNA.

Last edited:

Mark Evans

To write, just sit down and WRITE
Registered
Reaction score
Kate Nash

Contributors may like to note that Kate Nash is attending the Historical Novel Society Conference in September (http://www.hns-conference.org.uk). Aspiring writers will be able to pitch to her, as to other Agents there. I'd say that's a strong indication she's serious about being an Agent.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Mark, I have no doubt that Kate is serious about being an agent. But is she a good one? That's a different thing entirely.

I've heard no complaints about her representation, but I've not seen any big sales either. I do hope you'll let us know if there are any.

Mark Evans

To write, just sit down and WRITE
Registered
Reaction score
Kate

Thanks for responding Old Hack; I shall certainly let you know. :)

Pisco Sour

Registered
Reaction score
Has anybody got recent info on this agency? I'm considering them for a project of mine bc I read that Imogen Howson is now an agent there and I have a bucket-load of respect for her both as an author and as acquisitions editor when she was at Samhain.