AW Amazon Store

If this site is helpful to you,
Please consider a voluntary subscription to defray ongoing expenses.

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: [Agency] Peters, Fraser & Dunlop / PFD UK Childrens

Question [Agency] Peters, Fraser & Dunlop / PFD UK Childrens

I submitted to them some time ago, they said (on website) 4 wks to get something or my ms back, nothing yet. Anyone know anything about them? They seem absolutely great in the internet....

?
    Seeme: the website
    Readme: the blog
    Meetme: Twittah

POSSUM SUMMER is coming. Are you ready for the possum?

Mostly Harmless SuperModerator CaoPaux's Avatar
    If "some time ago" is more than six weeks, I'd query for status. Best of luck!

http://www.pfd.co.uk/
    ICAO
    ---------

Censorship always defeats its own purpose, for it creates in the end the kind of society that is incapable of exercising real discretion. -- Henry Steele Commager
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

II 2016: 2017:

Formerly Phantom of Krankor. Torgo's Avatar
    They're one of the most prestigious agencies in the world, so no problem with the reputation...

LOL

Hello again,
    They were my absolute top pick and I was terrified to send them my ms until I had had the requisite rejection slips that helped me with my cover letter, etc. So I bucked up and sent to them, not expecting anything to happen. Then nothing did. LOL

Just for the record...How do you go about querying for status of a ms? This is my first ms, and I have no idea. Thanks for your help, and the vote of confidence!!
    Seeme: the website
    Readme: the blog
    Meetme: Twittah

POSSUM SUMMER is coming. Are you ready for the possum?

practical experience, FTW Provrb1810meggy's Avatar
    I was thinking of querying PDF New York. Agent Query said they accepted email queries, but their site says they prefer snail mail. Does that mean they still accept email queries?
    Come check out my blog: http://meganetcetera.blogspot.com

Your Genial Uncle Absolute Sage James D. Macdonald's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Provrb1810meggy
    Does that mean they still accept email queries?
    Yes, but why are you even thinking about sending one? What's the matter with going the way they prefer?

I also had a long wait but I was unlucky enough to email through as the agent I picked was on leave - got an out of office autoresponse. Followed up 2 months later. Withdrew my query after no response in two weeks - finally got a response to that apologising for not responding to my other emails and basically wishing me luck.

Par for the course in my books. I still think they're a fairly good agency, but busy. Go for it.
    Word 4 Writers -
    Because a manuscript is not a business letter.

practical experience, FTW Dollywagon's Avatar
    I got a response from them in just over a month. I know with picture books they will only accept submissions of three or more mss at one time (UK division)

PFD Fires its Agents

CSS Stellar has fired 11 agents at Peters Fraser & Dunlop and launched an investigation into "apparent inconsistencies in the payment of commissions and bonuses to certain employees". In an update to shareholders, CSS also claimed that it was in "discussions with numerous established talent agents eager to join the firm."

http://www.thebookseller.com/news/47...fd-agents.html

For those of you who dont' know, PFD is one of the biggest agencies in England. I was horribly shocked to get this info this morning because I'm up for a PFD award and one of the agents (not sure if she was one of the ones fired, still awaiting news) has my book.

Yikes!

practical experience, FTW RLSMiller's Avatar
    Fired? I thought all the agents left once they hired that new woman? Ah, just read the article. Looks to me like they're just trying to get back at the agents for resigning in the first place. Bummer. I was planning to submit to them, but I think I'll pass.
    Last edited by RLSMiller; 11-01-2007 at 08:29 PM.
    Completed novels: YBSY - 75,000/75,000 (Contemporary YA Fantasy).

and she was never seen again zahra's Avatar
    I have a very close connection to one of the actors' agents, and she says the whole thing is nightmarish - I didn't think it affected the acting side, but she says it does.

Ghost, I did see a list of the off-loaded agents somewhere, but can't remember where now. Sorry. Hope yours is not one of them.
    WIP horror
    FREETS Editing
    WATCH ALL NIGHT Editing
    OPEN HOUSE About to start
    UNEARTHED You're next, love.

She was one of the ones who resigned and will be opening up United with the others.

I've already seen the list of who did what. It's really terrible. But on the bright side, now they'll be able to start their own agency. I'll bet it'll do well. It's not PFD that makes the money, it's the good agents.

ICAO
    ---------

Censorship always defeats its own purpose, for it creates in the end the kind of society that is incapable of exercising real discretion. -- Henry Steele Commager
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

Writer Beware Goddess Absolute Sage victoriastrauss's Avatar
    Big problems at PFD UK, though, with most of its agents quitting after new management was installed, and taking their clients with them. They plan to set up a rival company.

Counter-accusations have been made by the head of PFD's parent company, CSS Stellar, who says he's launching an investigation into "irregularities" in commission payments to some of the departed agents. The departed agents claim this is a smokescreen to cover up the parent company's bad management.

Sounds like a major mess.

- Victoria

Such a nasty woman SuperModerator Old Hack's Avatar
    PFD is a fabulous, prestigious agency to be with, though, once all this fuss has died down (and I would not CONSIDER submitting to them at present, simply because of it). I suspect that the new agency that their departing agents are setting up (United Agents, due to open after Christmas) will also be one to watch. The agents concerned are some of the best in the business.

Tired and Disillusioned Momento Mori's Avatar
    I agree with Old Hack, once the dust has settled and the disputes have been resolved one way or another, PFD will be back on track as one of the top agencies to submit to, purely because they still have people who seriously know what they're doing.

MM

practical experience, FTW
    Is the New York agency affected? I sent querys to Mark Reiter at different addys. Both returned.....
    " OLDER CHICKS RULE"

practical experience, FTW Laura Lond's Avatar
    The site for the NY agency seems to be down... or it no longer exists...

ICAO
    ---------

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin

Yes, Yikes, indeed!

I am in the process of agency search, and pfd was certainly one to investigate; in fact, today, March 4, 2011, I was about to snail-mail a query per their protocols. Seems I'm a bit out of touch. After √√ing Water Cooler (as always), and reading the article in Bookseller, I have decided not to submit the query. Too much like Hollywood maneuvers, or so it seems. Thanks Water Cooler for your info! You are indeed "Absolute!"

Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred Chris P's Avatar
    Michael - check the dates on the other posts in this thread; they're 3.5 years old. Surely things have settled down. Maybe someone will come in with newer info.

I submitted to them about a year ago and got the "not for us at this time" form rejection in a reasonable amount of time.
    Join any time! Take the 2017 AW Reading Challenge. Pick 12 books from a list of topics and read/discuss with us throughout the year.

Hold on to yer hats; I'll merge this with the BR&BC thread for more context.
    ICAO
    ---------

Subbed to Juliet Mushens and got a request for a full 5 min later. My new record.
    False Hearts (2016, Macmillan/Tor)
    Shattered Minds (2017, Macmillan/Tor)

Micah Grey:
    Pantomime (2015/2016, Tor UK)
    Shadowplay (2015/2016, Tor UK)
    Masquerade (2017, Tor UK)
    Vestigial Tales (2014, self-published)

Website / Twitter / Goodreads

As an update, I signed with Juliet Mushens and I am now a client of PFD. Very happy with my decision.

http://www.petersfraserdunlop.com/Authors/laura-lam
    False Hearts (2016, Macmillan/Tor)
    Shattered Minds (2017, Macmillan/Tor)

Micah Grey:
    Pantomime (2015/2016, Tor UK)
    Shadowplay (2015/2016, Tor UK)
    Masquerade (2017, Tor UK)
    Vestigial Tales (2014, self-published)

Website / Twitter / Goodreads

E-queried Annabel Merullo / Laura Williams 'way back in February.
    Got form R today.

The long version: Their website asks for hard-copy, but postage for three chapters to the UK.... Plus there's the issue of the SASE, now that the US Post Office no longer sells IRCs. Merullo isn't one of the agents that specifies they'll take email submissions, but Williams is her assistant and she lists an email address, so I sent her a brief note asking if email would be acceptable, given the cross-pond challenges. (The note also included the short-form blurb for the book, so they could judge if it was something they had any interest whatsoever in looking at.) Williams replied that yes, email would be fine, with the chapters as an attachment. So off it went.

Short version of the long version: It never hurts to ask.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast