New after Years of Lurking

Poetlore

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.stregastories.blogspot.com
Hi, everyone:

I first want to say that these boards have been incredibly valuable to me as a writer. I have managed to avoid vanity publishers and shady agents through people's generous information here, and I have been able to research legitimate agents easily. Plus, listening to the experiences of fellow writers has lessened my sense of isolation.

I am in the process of querying for my memoir, The Strega's Story. So far, I have had three requests for the full manuscript, and a partial, in about eight weeks of querying (I am on my second batch of queries, about twenty-five agents so far). Two agents are still considering the manuscript; my rejection on the partial and the full had some excellent feedback and contact with these agents has given me a lot of hope for the publishing industry, frankly. Usually I'm a bit cynical, but--strangely--querying has made me less so.

Anyway, I am happy to be a member and not a lurker now. I think this is a great community!

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
5-2.gif

jvc

Fearsome Dragon Mod
Registered
Reaction score
Greetings and welcome to the watercooler :welcome:
Good luck with the querying. Don't forget to read the newbie guide, which is in a sticky thread at the top of the Newbie Forum. If you have any problems you can PM (private message) me and I'll see if I can help, or you can post in the Super-Dooper Newbie 'Ask the Mod' thread at the top of the newbie forum.

To find out about the various buttons and icons, and also about rep points, how to PM (private message) members, custom avatars and a whole host of other useful stuff, check out Cathy_C's thread, which is also stickied at the top of the Newbie forum, Next on our tour, if you'll look to the left, you'll notice...

And for fun, we have the terrific Newbie Question of the Day thread. Pop in and have a go at answering a few of the really easy questions (the link is in the sig line below). They are easy. Yep, they are. And it's so much fun.

We also have a brand new Super-Dooper Newbie 'Traditional Irish Pub' thread where you can come and relax, have a drink and practice posting whilst chatting to other newbies and not so new newbies .

Oh, and do you like double choc-chip cookies? :D

brad_b

Knight Errant
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Somewhere in my mind... it echoes in here ...
Welcome, Poetlore, Nice to have you down here from the rafters. You're correct, AW has much info to avoid the pitfalls of the industry, and it seems you're already well on the way to being published. Hope to see you posting some of your work soon. Enjoy!

vixey

C'est la vie!
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome to AW, poetlore!

ragefaith

Wants to be Yami when she grows up.
Registered
Reaction score
:welcome:

It's great your novel's doing so well! I've sent out many queries myself and recieved three rejections, still waiting to hear back from the others.

Yes, I have also found the Writer Beware forums helpful, and recieved useful (and much needed) advice from Victoria.

Welcome to AW!

CACTUSWENDY

An old, sappy, and happy one.
Kind Benefactor
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome to AW. Hope you enjoy your stay with us.

How do you like your popcorn?