• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Abbot Entertainment LLC (formerly Abbot Management LLC)

RainbowDragon

Perpetuous Revisasaurus
Registered
Reaction score
Has anyone submitted a script to them? If so, how was the experience?

Anyone represented by them? If so, how do you like it?

They accept feature scripts blind, and so I'm wondering if I should submit something or not. . .

Hillgate

On location
Registered
Reaction score
Has anyone submitted a script to them? If so, how was the experience?

Anyone represented by them? If so, how do you like it?

They accept feature scripts blind, and so I'm wondering if I should submit something or not. . .

Hmmm...accepting feature scripts blind makes me a little nervy, because generally you have to virtually kill your first-born in order to get a script-agent's attention, and even then that's no guarantee. You should put this up in the 'Bewares' section of AWC where I'm sure someone will have heard of them.

mario_c

Your thoughts are not real...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.mariocaiti.com
Well, since I'm a reader for them I hope it's not a beware situation. (Unpaid. And I'm only a couple weeks into it, so...) It's a management company, so they make money representing the best of the best to studios, not by charging you for coverage. No ripoff there.
They're off the radar, true, but claim to have the ear of the large studios. I dunno, I just work here :D but it makes sense a management company would be more interested in working connections than tooting it's horn to the general writing public.

And we do share coverage with submitting authors, which is unusual in LA.
(No I do not live in LA yet. I communicate with them via the internet.)

victoriastrauss

Writer Beware Goddess
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.victoriastrauss.com
Mario, do you know of any actual scripts this company has sold? Anyone can claim to have contacts. The proof is in the track record.

It's a big red flag, IMO, that the Abbot website does not identify any of its staff by name.

- Victoria

mario_c

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.mariocaiti.com
Victoria, I am not at liberty to broadcast the manager's name over the internet but like I emphasized, it is a new management company. My involvement is not in making sales - it is doing what I would normally be doing at Triggerstreet or Zoetrope anyway, except my critting stands the chance of actually having an influence on another writer's success.

I hope to come back here with a million dollar spec sale story, as I've obviously got a lot personally at stake here, but I just want to say it's been a very good experience reading and critting for them. I've communicated with other readers and a couple authors and I'm a little nervous about how well it's going - like you, I'm waiting for the bottom to drop out.

To be continued.

Mac H.

Board Visitor
Registered
Reaction score
It's a big red flag, IMO, that the Abbot website does not identify any of its staff by name.
Not quite true - they list Cody Cannell & Tim Lambert

Cody Cannell is the name of the son of legendary Steven J Cannell ... and at least two people who recommend the company are sure it is the same guy. (I wouldn't know though)

There has been some comments about the random quality of the coverage they give (perhaps due to using unpaid guys on the internet to do it) ... search Done Deal for details. (A massive thread here) However I've never heard of them asking a dime from anyone.

One thing that is disinctly odd, though, is that they list their aim as being "to provide high quality film and television screenplays to producers and production companies". As a management company, however, they can only manage people ... they legally cannot negotiate to sell screenplays with producers unless they are registered as literary agents.

It makes them look a little clueless, if well intentioned. Since they say they have thousands of clients, they can't be offering anything like personal attention.

People seem happy with them, though, and they don't seem to ask for any money.

Mac

Last edited:

kullervo

minion
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.loreleiarmstrong.com
Managers rep and negotiate deals all the time, no matter what the law says. The problem I have is any screenplay rep that is easily approachable. I merely smells like 100% BS from where I sit. I would be interested to know if they charge writers for these mysterious services of theirs. Or if they still exist in three months.

mario_c

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.mariocaiti.com
The discussion is back, in SS and S forum. So far so good - still covering scripts, along with other writer's groups and websites as I've posted about before. Got a full plate!

mario_c

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.mariocaiti.com
There has been some comments about the random quality of the coverage they give (perhaps due to using unpaid guys on the internet to do it) ... search Done Deal for details. (A massive thread here)
Hence my title. :D

bullzman23

Registered
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I submitted my script to Abbot several months ago, and recently received an email. In the email they said that my script scored a very high score in their system, and that they were offering me a chance to include my script in their buyer's section. After accepting that offer, a few other readers will take a look at the script (including Mr. Lambert), and they'll decide if they will offer me management.

They also wrote extremely detailed feedback on their website. I got a perfect score in every category, including an overall score of 5/5. The feedback was awesome, well-written, and it was clear that the reader spent time going through the script. I'm not really sure how it will all play out next, but I wanted to share my positive experience with others.

bullzman23

Registered
Reaction score
How many months is "several"? I think I sent mine in March.

Went back and checked in my email for the confirmation note. It was longer than I remembered it being... I sent in my script in the beginning of April.

bullzman23

Registered
Reaction score
Another quick update. The first reader gave my script a 5/5, and then a few minutes ago I got an email from a second reader. She gave it a 1/5. Not sure how the scores could be so drastically different, but they were. It seems like many people have had the experience of receiving a good score initially and then getting a bad one.

Mac H.

Board Visitor
Registered
Reaction score
The first reader gave my script a 5/5, and then a few minutes ago I got an email from a second reader. She gave it a 1/5. Not sure how the scores could be so drastically different, but they were.
We had a lecturer once who did a nice scatter plot comparing how two different tutors had marked the same group of student assignments.

This was an engineering assignment - very little room for interpretation, so theoretically there should be a LOT of agreement between the two marks.

In reality, though, it was a lot more random than that.

Sure, there was a strong general trend of agreement ... but there were also more than one case were one tutor had failed a student while the other had given them a distinction !

Mac

Last edited:

bullzman23

Registered
Reaction score
We had a lecturer once who did a nice scatter plot comparing how two different tutors had marked the same group of student assignments.

This was an engineering assignment - very little room for interpretation, so theoretically there should be a LOT of agreement between the two marks.

In reality, though, it was a lot more random than that.

Sure, there was a strong general trend of agreement ... but there were also more than one case were one tutor had failed a student while the other had given them a distinction !

Mac

I totally understand how a script may not resonate with one reader, but for the score to be so drastically different is troubling. There should be some level of consistency within their staff.

There's more to the story... so we're allowed to send our reader questions or comments. I sent a polite rebuttal to her feedback. She didn't respond, but she suddenly changed the score from a 1/5 to a 3/5, and from a "pass" to a "consider". In her feedback she said that the script wasn't original at all, and I explained to her why I disagreed with that statement. She suddenly changed the comments in her notes to say that one of the strengths of the script was its originality.

Now, five days after I got the 5/5, that same reader suddenly decided to lower the score to a 4 without any reason. It seems strange to mark the score down nearly a week later. Initially I had a good feeling with Abbot, and Tim has remained professional throughout, but I'm just starting to feel like they're yanking me around.

Last edited:

theoFishalfishstark

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
I submitted a script to them a month and a half ago...they said they'd have it back to me in four weeks at most. Now it didn't cost me a thing to do, so I'm not that annoyed, but still...

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
Well I never heard back at all from March or April 2009, and from what 'd heard they're usually an 'everyone gets a response" group of people.

chattergurl15

Registered
Reaction score
This thread might not have had much activity in awhile, but I just thought I would add my two cents in regards to my experience. It’s long, but here goes:

I submitted a screenplay to Abbot in January 2008. When I got my initial review from a reader, I agreed with everything they had to say, down to the minute detail. It was helpful and constructive. The overall score I received from this person was 1/5. Luckily, I have learned much since then. After receiving that initial and only review, I made my screenplay invisible in the database--in other words, I didn’t want anyone else reviewing that terrible draft because I had planned to change the entire screenplay and the direction of the story. But as the months passed, I decided that it wasn’t worth it. The story was too unoriginal, the characters too blah, not exciting, and predictable. I realized how bad it was and I just didn’t care anymore. By mid 2008, I asked to be removed from the database, screenplay, info and all. Something I was assured, by email, would happen within thirty days.

Fast forward to December 2010, and I receive two emails from this company. As you can imagine, with so much time passing by, I completely forgot about them. The emails stated that I had gotten two more reviews for that horrible draft, though I was clear in stating nearly three years ago that I wished for all materials to be removed from the database. When I looked at the two latest reviews, I noticed that they had both been written by one person, separate from the person who had read and reviewed the screenplay in 2008.

Despite no longer being interested in the screenplay, I took a look at what was said. Once again I agreed with the latest sentiments in regards to this person’s first review. While it pointed out problems and was clearly constructive, their second review rubbed me the wrong way entirely. Not only was it written a day later, but was just downright rude, as if they had forgotten all of what they said the previous day, and just thought they would add in a few personal insults this time around for fun. From calling me an ‘unskilled, unoriginal, poorly written amateur’ who ‘needs more training in learning the English language’ as well as how to ‘properly construct a sentence’, to basically telling me that I was ‘living a pipe dream’ in regards to writing anything within any capacity, period. It goes on and gets worse, but I will stop there. I kid you not, I’ve read less scathing Am*zon reviews from those who hated Twilight with a passion.

Looking online and on their website, no matter how many clients they claim to have, they have yet to sell anything to anyone. That’s not to say they won’t in the future, but they haven’t yet. And I have yet to see any proven credentials. That said, I’m not exactly sure who the ‘qualified’ readers are for this company, but the reviews from screenplay to screenplay seem pretty schizophrenic, and I don’t mean that to be funny in the least. If one minute a critique is constructive and the next, within days or hours of each other, the same person tosses in a few more scathing remarks for kicks, how does that encourage one to enhance their writing skills? There's more and I could go on, but it all seems a bit schizophrenic. All I can say is luckily, I didn't sign anything and am not in any way legally bound to this company. But again, the method behind the madness is a bit troubling.

(If what I have written above is in any way confusing, I apologize. It’s nearly 3:00 a.m. here and I just wanted to let others know my experience as well, considering I received those emails from the company today and was taken aback by the timing and content, especially when I was assured by them years before that I had been removed from their database. I feel as if they’ve been holding that terribly written draft hostage, unnecessarily so, perhaps hoping someone would see through the enormous flaws and plot holes and love it anyway. (They won't.) And I don’t appreciate them passing that screenplay around for others to read since I had long made the work invisible and was assured by the 'president' of the company that no more reviews would be given. Again, this was in 2008. Even if they hadn’t removed me as they said, that draft was not meant to be read by anyone else after the initial review. I admit, I’m ashamed of it. It’s that bad. I have since sent the company an email asking once again to be removed completely, screenplay and info. If/when I hear back, I will update.)

Last edited:

mcamp

Hooga Man
Registered
Reaction score
I agree

Chattegurl, I feel for you. They have had some good eades there in the past, don't know about now. I read fo them for almost a year and enjoyed it untill they started tying to make me use a formula, and then change what I thought based on what another reader (that I do not even know) decides. I quit, it was too much for me... I just couldn't do it. using thei method you could not honestly help an aspiring writer, at best you would be hundering them with a confusing bunch of mixed signals. and to hear that a reader was so nasty to you... wow... I would have fied a few lines back myself and then fied a few at Tim Lambet too fo having a eader like that. anyway, I got a lot out of reading the scipts, especially the ones that needed work, those are the ones I liked the most, I learned a lot from those, and out of over 200+ I never read one I thought was a waist of time, most of them just needed some work.