To or Too

Status
Not open for further replies.

AllyWoof

Becoming a Serious Writer!
Registered
Reaction score
Which way is the correct spelling for the word when using it in a sentence like "I will even keep it a secret from our parents if you want me 2"(I'm using the number now only to get across what I am looking for. It's definately not going like that in my manuscript."

Bufty

Where have the last ten years gone?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
'too' is used when signifying an excess of something, i.e.,

I have eaten too much. My sleeves are too long.

Or when talking about 'in addition' or 'also', i.e.,

Mary has a cake, and I want one, too.

All other times use 'to'.

What do you think your's should be? ETA -yup.

Mr. Chuckletrousers

Sith happens.
Registered
Reaction score
Which way is the correct spelling for the word when using it in a sentence like "I will even keep it a secret from our parents if you want me 2"(I'm using the number now only to get across what I am looking for. It's definately not going like that in my manuscript."
This is a trailing preposition, and as such is spelled "to". "Too" is an adverb. Consider:

1) You want [me to keep it a secret].

The stuff in the brackets is an infinitive clause, subordinate to the main clause (the one with "want" as the main verb).

2) I will keep it a secret, [if you want].

Here the clause with "want" is a subordinate clause, beginning with the subordinating conjunction "if".

Now, let's mix the two sentences above together...

3) I will keep it a secret, {if you want [me to keep it a secret]}.

This is of course redundant, so strike all the words that are duplicated:

3') I will keep it a secret, {if you want [me to keep it a secret]}.

AllyWoof

Becoming a Serious Writer!
Registered
Reaction score
This is a trailing preposition, and as such is spelled "to". "Too" is an adverb. Consider:

1) You want [me to keep it a secret].

The stuff in the brackets is an infinitive clause, subordinate to the main clause (the one with "want" as the main verb).

2) I will keep it a secret, [if you want].

Here the clause with "want" is a subordinate clause, beginning with the subordinating conjunction "if".

Now, let's mix the two sentences above together...

3) I will keep it a secret, {if you want [me to keep it a secret]}.

This is of course redundant, so strike all the words that are duplicated:

3') I will keep it a secret, {if you want [me to keep it a secret]}.
I will. I'm trying to write this story with as meany words as I can. It will modt likely take at least a month or two to clean up.

Mr. Chuckletrousers

Sith happens.
Registered
Reaction score
I will. I'm trying to write this story with as meany words as I can. It will modt likely take at least a month or two to clean up.
Huh? I was just illustrating why the word is spelled "to" rather than "too". If you want a cleaner, shorter sentence then I would also get rid of the "me" and the "to" as well:

"I will even keep it a secret from our parents if you want."

semilargeintestine

BassGirl 5000
Registered
Reaction score
I'm not sure why you are trying to use as many words as you can. Usually, brevity is the best way to go, as difficult as it may be sometimes.

rhymegirl

It's a New Year!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

The easiest way to remember that it's "to" is to turn the sentence around.

If you want me to keep it a secret from our parents, I will.

Bufty

Where have the last ten years gone?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Agreed, but turning the sentence around will only work if one knows the difference betwen 'to' and 'too'. The OP apparently didn't.

Extracted from Grammer for Dummies

'Remember they are pronounced differently. 'To' is said quickly. 'Too' is pronounced slower and rhymes with 'loo' or 'boo', and a 'too' sounds silly if it should be 'to'.' :flag:

Last edited:

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
Agreed, but turning the sentence around will only work if one knows the difference betwen 'to' and 'too'. The OP apparently didn't.

'Remember they are pronounced differently. 'To' is said quickly. 'Too' is pronounced slower and rhymes with 'loo' or 'boo', and a 'too' sounds silly if it should be 'to'.'

In Scotland neither one of them are pronounced properly. But that goes for all the rest of the words in the English language, toooooooooooo.

caw

Chase

It Takes All of Us to End Racism
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

'Remember they are pronounced differently. 'To' is said quickly. 'Too' is pronounced slower and rhymes with 'loo' or 'boo', and a 'too' sounds silly if it should be 'to'.'

Similar to Bufty's helps, another mnemonic device (outside Scotland, ha ha ha) is we can say the short "tu" for to:

I went t' the store t' get groceries.

But we can't easily say:

I get t' fat from t' many groceries. We're forced to say, I get tooo fat from tooo many groceries.

Quossum

Registered
Reaction score
"I will even keep it a secret from our parents if you want me 2."

Hmm...If this was a situation where two sisters were with an attractive young man who has romantic designs only on the eldest, and if the youngest sister is saying this line with an eye towards blackmailing him into showing her affection, then it could be, "I will even keep it a secret from our parents if you want me, too."

Just sayin'.

--Q

Status
Not open for further replies.