• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Glass House Press / Alacan Publishing

carriesue11

Registered
Reaction score
Carrie, can you comment on the issue of fees? In 2009, I received a couple of author reports--one from an author who was asked to commit contractually to spending a "base cost" of $500 for a "designated publicist"; and one from an author who was told that Glass House usually asks its authors for a flat fee for editing.

Thank you.

- Victoria

Thanks for the question Victoria. Glass House is a traditional publisher and doesn't charge authors anything. We pay our authors, not vice versa. =)

victoriastrauss

Writer Beware Goddess
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.victoriastrauss.com
Thanks for the question Victoria. Glass House is a traditional publisher and doesn't charge authors anything. We pay our authors, not vice versa. =)
I'm glad to know that you're no longer asking authors to pay for editing, and have discontinued your policy of requiring authors to invest a minimum amount of money in publicity. (I've seen Glass House contracts and emails that document these charges, so I'm not relying on hearsay.)

- Victoria

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Is promoting three pending releases, now; two for Jan '13, and one TBD. The link to Alacan given on the home page as http://www.alacanpublishing.com/ redirects to comicmnemonics.com, which is dead. There is one book listed on Amazon for Alacan (pubbed Nov '11, and listed under Glass House for the Kindle edition), which is currently ranked 187k for the pb and 119k for the ebook.

authorMAF

Registered
Reaction score
Website
authormaf.com
any news about this publishing press? They're participating in #Pit2Pub and was curious if anyone's signed on and worked with them recently?

tiakall

*lurk*
Registered
Reaction score
Their "frontlist" has four books available on amazon, but they're all for preorders (the first doesn't come out until May.) Their backlist has 3 (still available) that came out in 2014 and one in 2013, the best of which has a ranking in the 300k range (the worst of which has a 1.8mil ranking). No releases in 2015 that I see offhand, although they were supposed to release two anthologies in 2015 according to their website. (Actually, this book might be the Warrior Girls they talk about on their website, although the concepts don't sound exactly the same, so maybe their website is just out of date.)

BlueLobster

New Lobster; Anxious About Boxes
Registered
Reaction score
Got a request from them in #Pit2Pub. They requested 25 pages and a marketing plan. While they liked my marketing plan, my book was too similar to another they'd recently signed (this was back in Feb). Carrie sent a good amount of feedback, and while her bet that the particular book would be contracted quickly hasn't yet come true, it was a professional and encouraging experience overall.

Anyway, just thought I post my experience in case it helps.