• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Glass House Press / Alacan Publishing

The Gunshark

Registered
Reaction score
Here's another new small publisher. Certainly their website lacks a great deal of information, and they only reference 1 book to be published (I suspect by the owner perhaps?).

Anyway, anyone know anything about these guys? I'm highly suspicious of ALL new and small publishers these days...

http://www.glasshousepress.com/

I sent a query and synopsis off for the hell of it. I'll let you know what happens. It looks like a new company that is utilizing Barnes and Noble, Borders, and Amazon. The owner and managing editor of the company is Carrie White, not Richard Aaron.

:D

Last edited:

triceretops

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
guerrillawarfareforwriters.blogspot.com
Not much to go on here, and it's probably another POD outfit. I will say that it appears as though they are taking it nice and easy--synopsis only, staying within a few selected genres, and one book out so far. That, I think, is at least the proper way for a small press to begin. I did very much like their lead title--The Guantlet. Some nice reviews, good cover art, and good pitch. Now, if they are highly selective, good with editing, and push their titles, all the better start for them.

I wrote a general email to them asking some questions. Let you know.

Tri

The Gunshark

Registered
Reaction score
Not much to go on here, and it's probably another POD outfit. I will say that it appears as though they are taking it nice and easy--synopsis only, staying within a few selected genres, and one book out so far. That, I think, is at least the proper way for a small press to begin. I did very much like their lead title--The Guantlet. Some nice reviews, good cover art, and good pitch. Now, if they are highly selective, good with editing, and push their titles, all the better start for them.

I wrote a general email to them asking some questions. Let you know.

Tri

It does not sound like they have a POD operation going. They are running through MidPoint Distributors and supposedly have listings at Barnes and Noble, Borders, and Amazon.com.

Let's keep an eye on these people, anyway.

Last edited:

JerseyGirl1962

I heart Malamutes! :-)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
From the website:

After having struggled for years in various (non-fiction) publishing, editing, and production positions, Carrie [White] stumbled across a fiction manuscript that deserved a better chance than it was receiving.

At least she's got some industry experience/connections, which a lot of new presses don't seem to have.

And, yeah, they've got one book coming out in March, so they're not trying to be everything to everybody. (That is, not dipping their toes into every genre out there.)

~Nancy

David McAfee

God of Squirrels
Registered
Reaction score
Where did you see $12? I saw amazon's price of 17.13. At least the numbers are low there.

Tri

According to Amazon, their first release, Gauntlet, is a hardcover, so the $17 Amazon price is just about right.

I went ahead and sent them a query and synop...figured what the heck. :)

triceretops

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
guerrillawarfareforwriters.blogspot.com
Ah, now that's a good price for a hardback.

+Score:

Limited genres
First lauch--low-price hardback
distribution
Great cover art
No author mill tactics.

So far, so good.

Yeah, I broke down too, David. Let's see wuss up with these lil cretins. Oops, I mean nice little puppy, nice little puppy. Strokes and offers treats.

Tri

Last edited:

David McAfee

God of Squirrels
Registered
Reaction score
I didn't see a paperback edition...Hmmm, maybe I wasn't looking hard enough.

EDIT: Oh, I found it. Paperback is listed at $16.95. Hardcover $17.13 (normal cover is shown as $25.95). That is odd.

Last edited:

ChrisKelly331

Peter Steele <3
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.christinakelly.webs.com
I sent a query this morning (10 am ish) for the heck of it and received this email at 7:30pm

[FONT=&quot]Hi Christina, congratulations, I’m intrigued. <g> Unfortunately, Glass House is full up with three new titles for 2010, and I’m not taking on any new manuscripts at this precise moment. We might, however, be looking for something to come in for the last quarter of the 2010 schedule, and we’re always happy to court new authors for our stable. Please send along a longer synopsis with specifics on plot threads (ie, what do the characters actually do, what’s the end game, what’s the final point of the book?), and the first 50 pp of your manuscript. I can’t make any promises about getting to it soon, but I would like to take a look.[/FONT]

Im still holding out hope that one publisher in particular that already has my full will accept but I don't think it would hurt to send off the 50 pages to Ms. White. ;)