The AW Amazon Store
Buy Books by AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Thread: Contemporary Press (Jay Brida)

Spassvogel

Contemporary Press (Jay Brida)

Has anyone dealt with Contemporary Press (http://www.contemporarypress.com)

They seem to consider a certain kind of novel that most houses wouldn't give a second blink to, but their contract details seemed a bit predatory.

Author gets:
    * 10% of the net profits of the book
    * 50% ownership of any subsidiary rights of your novel, if sold
    * Ten free copies of the book, and discounts beyond that
    * Shortlisted for future Contemporary Press publications.

Just about everything else about them is appealing. Those terms just seem like back-door vanity publishing, only you pay through not getting paid, if that makes sense.

Thanks!

Still the wrong side of Saskatoon Saskatoonistan's Avatar

Cool

"Fuck Literature"? Oy... I can think of better taglines for a publisher!

My Website. Twitter.

AGENTED - AUGUST 24,2010 WOOT!!! AGENTED AGAIN February 2015! WOOT! WOOT!

"POLTERGEEKS is absolutely everything you could possibly want in YA fantasy!" STARBURST MAGAZINE

"Sean Cummings is a master of the dark fantastic. His writing brims with soul, guts, and a dark wit sharp enough to draw blood. Chris F. Holm, award winning author of The Collector Books

Still the wrong side of Saskatoon Saskatoonistan's Avatar
    Looking at their submissions, it seems the site needs a bit of an update:

Novels
    Contemporary Press has filled our 2007 publishing schedule. Any submissions would not be considered for publication until Spring 2008.

My Website. Twitter.

AGENTED - AUGUST 24,2010 WOOT!!! AGENTED AGAIN February 2015! WOOT! WOOT!

"POLTERGEEKS is absolutely everything you could possibly want in YA fantasy!" STARBURST MAGAZINE

"Sean Cummings is a master of the dark fantastic. His writing brims with soul, guts, and a dark wit sharp enough to draw blood. Chris F. Holm, award winning author of The Collector Books

volitare nequeo AW Moderator veinglory's Avatar
    10% of net might well be on the low side, depending on how they calculate net.
    Emily Veinglory

Mostly Harmless SuperModerator CaoPaux's Avatar
    If Amazon's any indication, their last book was Danger City II in Dec '06. They are/were distributed by PGW, so they aimed to be commercial, but I don't find any current signs of life.
    ICAO
    ---------
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

II 2016: 2017:

Writer Beware Goddess Absolute Sage victoriastrauss's Avatar
    Are you sure it's 10% of net profit, rather than 10% of net? There's a big difference, and the former can be significantly disadvantageous for writers, cutting the percentage on which your royalties are calculated to a pittance. Royalties paid on net profit is always a warning sign, either of an inexperienced publisher or a predatory one.

I checked the PGW website, and they are listed as one of PGW's active publishers.

However, the website seems very out of date (press clippings date back to 2006), and I'd be concerned about the lack of recent publications. Why has this publisher apparently been inactive since late 2006?

- Victoria

Spassvogel
    I pasted the info right from their web page, so yeah, it's a percentage of net profits.

Mostly Harmless SuperModerator CaoPaux's Avatar
    Site's gone now, and the principals have moved onto other ventures. E.g., Awkward Press.
    ICAO
    ---------
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

II 2016: 2017: