To Detail Or Not to Detail Or Does it Depend?

Status
Not open for further replies.

narnia

Registered
Reaction score
Sorry in advance if this has been bandied about already, I didn't find a recent thread.

I have a question regarding folks' opinions on the level of detail that you prefer/works in your opinion, or not/think is necessary/feel free to express whatever opinion you like when describing certain scenes. Instead of bumbling through an explanation, let me give you some examples:

First example. Scene starts with MC getting to work:

The elevator opened on the ninth floor. Laura limped out, swiped her card, and opened the door to a dark floor. She flipped on the lights and headed to her desk, dropped her stuff down then pulled her laptop out of her bag. She clicked it into the docking station and gingerly made her way down the hallway to the break room to put her lunch in the fridge. The laptop was still booting up when she returned. Every time they rolled out updates it got slower and slower. She turned on the radio and listened to the Friday morning news while she watched her desktop icons appear one by one.

This is the first time the MC's workplace and her morning routine is introduced (if that makes any difference). I like to picture what is happening in my head and describe what I see, but at what point do the 'details' become boring/too much as perhaps in the example above, and at what point does the lack of detail make the reader go huh, as perhaps in the example below?

Laura sighed. Might as well get Janice out of the way and concentrate on her real work. She headed back out to the lobby and pushed the up button on the elevator. It was way too early to take the stairs and besides, her ankle was still throbbing from her self-induced fright two nights ago. She got in the elevator and pushed ten.

In this paragraph, in particular the last sentence, we have the MC getting on an elevator (yeah, I know you can read ;)), but is it necessary to say 'The doors opened, she got in the elevator and pushed ten.' Would the reader say, I know she pushed the button but when did it open?

I guess my question to anyone who'd like to answer is, when getting a character from point A to point B, how much is too much and how much is not enough? I know that the question is very high level, and can probably be qualified a hundred ways or more, but any and all observations/comments/opinions are welcome.

Thanks in advance!

:Sun:

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
Do the details enhance the story, move the plot along, create sensory richness? If not, cut. And don't bog down the prose with needless stage directions and details that are mundane and don't add to the story.

In this paragraph, in particular the last sentence, we have the MC getting on an elevator (yeah, I know you can read ;)), but is it necessary to say 'The doors opened, she got in the elevator and pushed ten.' Would the reader say, I know she pushed the button but when did it open?

This is the kind of needless details. We know how elevator operates -- meaning, the door opens, the person goes in, and pushes a button, the door closes and the elevator goes up or down. "She got in the elevator" is enough because we can fill in the blanks. The door must have opened before she could go in. Now, if the door opens and a corpse jumps out, then you may want to set the stage by telling us how the door slides open...

Unless the actions mean something, or is something unfamiliar to the readers, such level of details would most likely bog down your story and slow your pace down. In the above example, the only thing that is relevant is that she pushed "ten." We know she's going somewhere and the building has at least ten floors. Even then, we have to ask, why do we need to know she gets inside an elevator in the first place? Did something happen there? If not, cut.

Last edited:

KiraOnWhite

Registered
Reaction score
Hmm, I think for the first paragraph, you could put in a bit of the character's feelings--whether she thinks this is just another typical day, or she finds comfort in these daily routines. Personally, I think the details should be added to enhance the effect of a character, along with adding to the atmosphere.

Linda Adams

Soldier, Storyteller
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.linda-adams.com
I think the details in the paragraphs are a little too much "a day in the life" and could be greatly simplified. Why does the reader need to know her computer got a patch on her computer last night? How does that help the story? Does it produce an important plot point? Does it add anything to the character? Everything should serve several purposes.

And since a lot of people tend to run over in writing, it's wordage that's taking up space for something else more important.

My suggestion: If it's an important to the story itself, then emphasize the routine with her characterization or something else happening. If it's not important, simplify. If the reader is likely to have that experience, like riding in an elevator, it's not necessary to describe it if nothing out of the ordinary happens. For example, in the elevator paragraph, I'd spend far less time on the elevator details and more time on the ankle details, since that looks like an important story aspect. In the work routine one, I'd suggest cutting at least half the details and having something else go on like a conflict so it establishes her routine while other things go on (either that, or I'd just do a sentence that takes care of the routine and be done with it).

RobJ

Banned
Reaction score
I guess my question to anyone who'd like to answer is, when getting a character from point A to point B, how much is too much and how much is not enough? I know that the question is very high level, and can probably be qualified a hundred ways or more, but any and all observations/comments/opinions are welcome.
Often you can cut the A-to-B completely. That would be my starting point.

Cheers,
Rob

KosseMix

fixing a limp query...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kossemix.blogspot.com
Whenever I add detail (it's usually metaphorical description), I like to add it where it'll have the greatest impact - contrasting against emotions/events in the story, and so forth. Not sure if that helps, though.

narnia

Registered
Reaction score
Ray,
Thanks! Very good points, and I know that one of my struggles is in not always recognizing the distinction between 'enhancing' and 'bogging'. I like your explanation and will file it away as a sticky! :)

Kira,
You also bring up a good point - in that describing the ordinary routine enhances the character. For example, an MC whose every day routine is the same day after day and that is comforting to her, then wham something blows it apart and ... Thanks!

Thanks Linda!
Good catch on the ankle (although these paragraphs were used to illustrate my question however lamely :)). I like your suggestions re these particular paragraphs, and I can certainly adapt them in general to other areas.

Robj,
Thanks! I agree and I hope I have that under control, although that is TBD I am sure. :tongue My stumbling block is the times when it is necessary and folks opinions on the best way to get there without boring the reader.
Thanks!

KosseMix,
Yes I think so. I interpret it as what everyone else said, does it enhance/serve a purpose/move the plot along/etc.
Thanks!

Thanks everyone, I appreciate your thoughts and ideas!

:Sun:

Kate Thornton

Still Happy to be Here. Or Anywhere
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.katethornton.net
I really like detail in a story, but when I do rewrites, much of the original detail gets the axe as it doesn't increase the impact of the scene, enlighten the reader or move the action forward. And enlightenning the reader means a giant lightbulb goes on in their head, an "Aha!" moment only detail can bring about or convey.

Otherwise, it's just filler words for the reader to slog through in order to get to the story - and nothing should get in the way of the story!

narnia

Registered
Reaction score
I really like detail in a story, but when I do rewrites, much of the original detail gets the axe as it doesn't increase the impact of the scene, enlighten the reader or move the action forward. And enlightenning the reader means a giant lightbulb goes on in their head, an "Aha!" moment only detail can bring about or convey.

Otherwise, it's just filler words for the reader to slog through in order to get to the story - and nothing should get in the way of the story!

Another sticky!

Thanks Kate!

Status
Not open for further replies.