Status
Not open for further replies.

TrixieLox

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hey,

I hope you’re all well. I’m a British writer who’s just finished my first YA novel. US agent has expressed interest (from informal chats, not seen my work yet, ha ha – so ‘interest’ is a tenuous word!). Anyways, the plan was to send to UK agents but, in light of this interest, am thinking about including US agents in the mix. I mean, it’d be great to crack the US market!

Any experiences of Brit writers working with a US agent? Can US agents do just as good a job with UK market as UK agents?

Trix

qwerty

exiled Brit
Registered
Reaction score
I know a YA writer who lived in Liverpool but didn't have success subbing to UK agents, so tried US agents. Result was she became repped by Jenny Bent of Trident Media and got a deal with PAL.

Chanelley

Registered
Reaction score
I'm a UK author and I'm submitting to both. I don't see much of a difference in working with a UK agent or as US agent. Only problem would be meeting face to face. But emails and telephone calls can do the trick. I'd probably go visit a few times, especially for meetings with publishers, but I can't say at the moment. I have read on agents blogs that they sometimes have international clients. It's definitely not unheard of.

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
I can think of a good number of UK authors who have US agents.
Most of the communication is done by e-mail anyway so it really isn't much of a problem. A lot of authors don't see their agent face-to-face for years

firedrake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I'm actually doing the opposite! I'm querying UK agents as well as US ones, mainly because I think my novel might do better in the UK market.

I figure, nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Deccydiva

Back from the dead
Registered
Reaction score
That's a good point, Firedrake.
I will NOT be submitting to US agents simply because I don't see the US as my market, I don't think they will "get it" in the same way that a number of popular UK TV shows bombed over there. It's not a matter of where is "better" but where is "more appropriate" for the material. I'm actually not in the UK or US, but there's very little choice here and most will go to one or the other.

Momento Mori

Tired and Disillusioned
Registered
Reaction score
TrixieLoxL
Can US agents do just as good a job with UK market as UK agents?

I don't see why not - if an agent is experienced in selling in the US market, then there aren't that many differences within the UK market.

MM

Status
Not open for further replies.