ONE HUNDRED BOOKS

MissKris

Is the random.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kristindmiller.com
Woot! Than I'm definitely in! I'm going to aim for 50 but not feel bad if I only hit 25.

has anyone else read Nick and Norah's Infinite Playlist? I'm finding it hard to get into...

I had a hard time with that one, too. I ended up putting it down after 1/3 of the book or so. I thought it was very poserish with the constant name placement and "cooler than cool" club scene, etc. I didn't much like the characters, either. :D

nayner

Needs more sleep.
Registered
Reaction score
I had a hard time with that one, too. I ended up putting it down after 1/3 of the book or so. I thought it was very poserish with the constant name placement and "cooler than cool" club scene, etc. I didn't much like the characters, either. :D

Yeah, I'm finding that with the voices as well. I really enjoyed Boy Meets Boy, so i was looking forward to N&N. :(

I'm not sure if I should try and keep on it or move on.

I feel like I can kind of predict what might happen, so maybe I should read on just to see if I'm right.

peachiemkey

circuits in the sea
Registered
Reaction score
speaking of N&N, I'm wondering if anyone has read Naomi and Ely's No Kiss List, by the same author. It was a pretty cool book, as far as I can remember, but I also remember putting it down about halfway through, unable to finish. I guess I could just skim through N&N in a bookstore and see if it's the same way. It's a shame, really. I think I might make myself to finish Naomi and Ely... after all this time I gotta see what happens between Ely & his boy toy. lol.

nayner

Needs more sleep.
Registered
Reaction score
speaking of N&N, I'm wondering if anyone has read Naomi and Ely's No Kiss List, by the same author. It was a pretty cool book, as far as I can remember, but I also remember putting it down about halfway through, unable to finish. I guess I could just skim through N&N in a bookstore and see if it's the same way. It's a shame, really. I think I might make myself to finish Naomi and Ely... after all this time I gotta see what happens between Ely & his boy toy. lol.

It's by the same two people, and because of that and because the title is the same format... I got the impression it would be the same style of N&N. But no, I haven't picked it up so I don't know for sure.

Read Boy Meets Boy, by one of the authors of N&N, David Levition(sp)... i really liked it and was happy to stay in the world for the whole book.

nayner

Needs more sleep.
Registered
Reaction score
bah, am putting down N&N. someone let me know if it gets amazing after chapter 6 or so.

wandergirl

~kirsten hubbard
Registered
Reaction score
has anyone else read Nick and Norah's Infinite Playlist? I'm finding it hard to get into...

I just read it a couple weeks ago actually. I will say that I found it enjoyable, and the writing good, but often.... a little too clever. In a Diablo Cody kinda way. These long, ~*incredibly clever~* inner rants between lines of dialogue kept removing me from the story.

nayner

Needs more sleep.
Registered
Reaction score
I just read it a couple weeks ago actually. I will say that I found it enjoyable, and the writing good, but often.... a little too clever. In a Diablo Cody kinda way. These long, ~*incredibly clever~* inner rants between lines of dialogue kept removing me from the story.

yup, bingo on that. agreed completely.

I'm taking the advice posted somewhere upthread: put down the book if you're not into it.

Since I have a 'to read' list that's already filling up, it seems like a good idea.

wandergirl

~kirsten hubbard
Registered
Reaction score
I'm taking the advice posted somewhere upthread: put down the book if you're not into it.

right. I think we only have so much time on this earth, you know? two books I didn't finish recently were A Canticle for Leibowitz and Inkheart. Of course, I see the good in them. And I had read substantially in both... but I just couldn't keep going.

~*Note*~
I just re-listed the "rules" in my initial post. everybody, let me know if there's anything I missed.

Ken

Banned
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
Is there a 1/10th marathon? ;-)
I might manage 10.
Working on my second, now.
(I'm a sllllooooowwww reader.)

wandergirl

~kirsten hubbard
Registered
Reaction score
Anyone else still keeping track? I meant to update with every five, but I've read seven more:

Everlost - Neal Shusterman
The Children of Men - P.D. James
The Underneath - Kathi Appelt
Little Brother - Cory Doctorow
The Graveyard Book - Neil Gaiman
My Heartbeat - Garret Freymann-Weyr
Rules of Survival - Nancy Werlin

The biggest problem: longer adult novels (like the super-awesome Children of Men) slow my momentum, so I have to read some shorter YA to make up for it... which isn't really a problem, I guess, but it might keep me away from tackling any classics this year.

Fulk

Occasional Contributer
Registered
Reaction score
Perhaps I'm being silly and misunderstanding, but am I to understand that 'adult' books count in our list as well? Not simply YA? I must admit I read a lot more of the former than the latter, though I do have some YA on my to-read list.

wandergirl

~kirsten hubbard
Registered
Reaction score
Perhaps I'm being silly and misunderstanding, but am I to understand that 'adult' books count in our list as well? Not simply YA?

Everything counts, definitely. I'll update my first post.

What did you think of My Heartbeat?

Lovely writing. But I wanted James to end up with Link, so I wasn't really rooting for the romance.

Shady Lane

my name is hannah
Registered
Reaction score
You're supposed to want James to end up with Link ;)

But I loved James so much that I was happy with whatever had more scenes with him in it.

Fulk

Occasional Contributer
Registered
Reaction score
Alright then! Let me get a list rounded up of books I've read so far.

The Way of Shadows by Brent Weeks
The Awakening by Kate Chopin
The House of Seven Gables by Nathaniel Hawthorne
Maggie: A Girl of the Streets by Stephen Crane
Their Eyes Were Watching God by Zora Neale Hurston

Can you tell I'm in an English literature class right now? 4 or 5 more novels to go for that class. At least it makes reaching a goal of 100 books a little bit easier. Might have to raise the bar a little. :p

Miss.Stefani

Guys... Where are we?
Registered
Reaction score
I was one of five or so people to complete the hundred book challenge at my school when I was in eighth grade :D

Anyways, the current list:

Hamlet (a play, but I say it counts)
The first three books in the Night Huntress series
Never Cry Wolf

Ah! I'm slacking *vows to read more*

nayner

Needs more sleep.
Registered
Reaction score
oo, oo, i get to add my books to the list:

Forever - Judy Blume (re-read)
Twilight - Stephanie Meyer
Does My Head Look Big in This? - Randa Abdel-Fattah
Criss Cross - Laurie Rae Perkins
Anatomy of a Boyfriend - Daria Snadowsky
and I JUST finished (as in, right before I hopped online)
Story of a Girl - Sara Zarr

ok, for mini reviews:
forever - a classic, tho not as steamy as I remembered (but I was 13 when I first read it)

Twilight -..... I'll keep it short: I have never read a book that so thoroughly sucked the life out of dialogue.

Does my Head look big in this - good for what it wanted to say, a bit theme-malletish at some points, but it was good enough to get away with it. Not my type of book, though, so there's that.

Criss Cross - felt like it should've hit harder than it did. Liked it, but in looking at it, couldn't pin down why or how it was supposed to make me feel.

Anatomy of a Boyfriend - excellent. Like an updated Forever, that had better sex (more realistic sex) and stronger characters. An honest and compelling voice.

Story of a Girl - Solidly damn good.

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
I have read no new novels this whole year.

School novels don't count for I hate them with the fiery passion of a thousand foreman grills.

I am sad now.

MissKris

Is the random.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kristindmiller.com
Okay, here's my, uh, seven. I'm up to fourteen now. All the cookbooks and homeschool/education books I read take a lot of time away from novels. Better get moving, though, since it's March already!

The Red Necklace Sally Gardner: meh, it was all right
Hunger Games Suzanne Collins: OMG loved this!!!
Water For Elephants Sara Gruen: very good, touching and well-paced
Just In Case Meg Rosoff: not as good as her others
The Dancer and the Thief Antonio Skarmeta: lyrical and lovely with great characters
The Tales of Beedle the Bard J.K. Rowling: short, yes, but also charming and fun
The Book Thief Markus Zusak: liked it in the end, but actually took me awhile to really get into it (like half the book)

Katrina S. Forest

Registered
Reaction score
Website
katrinasforest.com
Sadly, I only have four so far. Probably the quarter-marathon would be best for me.

Old Man's War
The Shack
Shadowmagic
Pretties

I hope audiobooks count, because that's what half the books on the list are. ^_^;;

wandergirl

~kirsten hubbard
Registered
Reaction score
I really like this mini-review thing -- helps me pick novels for my Books to Read list. I'll do the same from now on. Maybe I'll update my others.

lm728

i'm baaaacccckkkkkk
Registered
Reaction score
Okay.

Rx--Tracy Lynn
Looking For Alaska--John Greene
The Pretty One--Cheryl Klam
Like A Thorn--Clara Vidal
The Giver--Lois Lowry
The Disreputeable History of Frankie Landau-Banks--E. Lockhart
Rhymes With Witches--Lauren Myracle
Rumors--Anna Godbersen
Gossip Girl: The Carlyles--Annabelle Vestry
Gossip Girl: The Carlyles Book two (You Just Can't Get Enough)--Annabelle Vestry

Phew!

Last edited:

Miss.Stefani

Guys... Where are we?
Registered
Reaction score
So, I've read a few more since last time I posted.

The new books are:

The Disreputable History of Frankie Landau-Banks by E. Lockhart

Keeping the Moon by Sarah Dessen

Model by Cheryl Diamond

Hero by an author whose name I don't remember

10 so far. I'm a little behind...

wandergirl

~kirsten hubbard
Registered
Reaction score
woo-hoo, five more:

A Certain Slant of Light - Laura Whitcomb (SO GOOD. PLEASE READ. I CRIED LOTS.)
Full Tilt - Neal Shusterman (not his best.)
Can't Get There from Here - Todd Strasser (a quick read, good but issue-booky)
Devilish - Maureen Johnson (not her best.)
A Northern Light - Jennifer Donnelly (lovely)

I'd have to say A Certain Slant of Light trumps everything I've read this year so far.

eyeblink

Barbara says hi
Registered
Reaction score
I'm way behind, due to reading two novels over 200,000 words each in the space of three months, but I'm now up to five. One of them was a beta-read.

Bethany Griffin, HANDCUFFS (YA)
Hal Duncan, INK: THE BOOK OF ALL HOURS 2 (adult)
Margaret Atwood, THE HANDMAID'S TALE (adult, re-read from 20 years ago)
Hannah Moskowitz, INVINCIBLE SUMMER (YA, beta-read)
Dan Simmons, DROOD (adult)

I really should space out the ultra-long books, especially as I have some more in the pile. I now have a stack of YAs for between now and Easter, and none of them are longer than 90,000 words...