How to read more

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score
I stockpile during book sales. Then there's always something around to read :)
Me too and I've got quite a collection that I can read. But I've always read every book I've bought new for full price (though that's not that many books), partly because I paid so much for it I want to be sure and get my money's worth out of it. :)

DMarie84

I wish I had a time machine
Registered
Reaction score
Website
inthewritemind.wordpress.com
I'd love to read more--in fact I'm dying to read more.

My problem is I'm an incredibly picky reader. I'll start a book and get to page 60 or so and put it down. Generally it's because I feel the plot is plodding along or the characters aren't real enough for me to identify with them. If that happens, then it's hard for me to care about the progression of the story.

I was so excited I finally found a series I actually liked. It's YA (and normally I don't read YA) but it's historical fiction and good historical fiction at that. It's the Luxe series by Anna Godbersen. I was surprised I liked it, but now I'm just waiting until I have the funds to go and buy the third book, Envy.

I'm now reading another book, A Constant Heart by Siri Mitchell and finding it really hard to want to pick up and continue reading. For one, the author did two viewpoints--but both are in 1st person. So it's hard to figure out who exactly is talking. Sometimes I think it's the man and then find out it's actually the woman speaking...and it throws the story off for me. Perhaps if the characterization was done better, but the characters seem essentially the same to me.

It's too bad because it has a great premise--an arranged marriage and the intrigue of the court of Queen Elizabeth I. I'm doubting I'll finish it because of the confusing viewpoints.

And now I'm sad because I currently have nothing to read. Again. (Unless I pick up one of the same books in my library yet again).

CaroGirl

Living the dream
Registered
Reaction score
Get a job and take the bus to it. I increased the number of novels I read last year 10-fold from the year before by riding the bus. I'm a slow reader too so having more time to read helps me get through books at the same rate as faster readers.

Keeping a running tally of books you've read since the beginning of the year is a good motivator.

You could also decrease time spent with screens (computer, TV, video games) and read instead.