Ty -- Beanie Obamas

HeronW

Down Under Fan
Registered
Reaction score
http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.co...inappropriate-to-use-daughters-to-sell-dolls/

WASHINGTON (CNN) – They’ve been in the White House less than a week, but the first daughters have already been co-opted by marketers — and Michelle Obama isn’t happy about it.
Ty, the toy company responsible for the popular Beanie Babies dolls, is now marketing “Sweet Sasha” and “Marvelous Malia” dolls.

The first lady’s office said Friday Ty was out of line. “We feel it is inappropriate to use young private citizens for marketing purposes,” said a spokeswoman for Michelle Obama in a statement.

A Ty representative told CNN the company generally avoids naming dolls for “any particular living individual,” because doing so might interfere with how kids use their imaginations to play with them. But they wouldn’t reveal the source of their inspiration for the new figures, telling CNN that information relating to the development of the company’s merchandise — including how it comes up with products, product names, and trademarks – is proprietary.

Ty has overstepped the bounds here. I don't care for marketing children without the parents' permission. Ty's been in business for quite a while and hasn't put out any other politically-inspired dolls. Just becuse the Obama children are in the public eye does not make them fair game for toy makers, pundits, cartoonists, journalists or any other money-oriented asshat who wants to further the thickness of their bank account.

If Ty donated ALL the proceeds to education or childrens' health care, that might be forgivable. Greedy bastards.

Reaction score
Even then, it still wouldn't make it right. They're using children, who are private citizens, to make money - without asking permission. So no, no amount of donations could make this right.

Williebee

Capeless, wingless, & yet I fly.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ifoundaknife.com
That's it. I'm never buying another Ty Beanie baby. Which would mean something if I ever had....

It's cheesy, it's wrong. It's opportunistic for all the wrong reasons.

Cranky

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
It's bad enough when kids of politicians get dragged into the public eye by their parents' opponents (or even by the parents themselves), but this is another level of sleazy.

They're children, private citizens, not money-making machines for some stupid toy company. And without the parents' permission?!

Snowstorm

Baby plot bunneh sniffs out a clue
Registered
Reaction score
It's bad enough when kids of politicians get dragged into the public eye by their parents' opponents (or even by the parents themselves), but this is another level of sleazy.

And without the parents' permission?!

Absolutely agree. What Ty did is so wrong, creepy and just icky.

James81

Great Scott Member
Registered
Reaction score
The only question I have is: is it legal?

If so, then more power to them. It's a freaking beanie baby. It's not like they are subjecting the Obama children to child labor.

KikiteNeko

Registered
Reaction score
What everyone said. Creepy and wrong. What kind of toy company rips off the identity of two little girls and then lies about it?