Canadian Authors

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zipotes

Registered
Reaction score
Do you have an American agent or Canadian?

Published by American publisher or Canadian?

I've read that it's not worth having an American publisher or you'll be taxed to death, etc.

But, it seems there are way more opportunites in the US.

Carmy

Banned
Reaction score
I don't know if things have changed, but . . . As a Canadian writer you are allowed to earn X$ before you have to pay taxes on earnings from writing. Often there are expenses incurred so keep all your receipts--everything including travel to the mailbox, upgrading computers and programs, etc. You can also claim a portion if your utilities, mortgage or rent if you have a room devoted to writing in your home. This may be the time you need an accountant, because you can claim against non-profitable writing for only so many years.

I've published articles and essays in Canada and in the US but nothing as big as a novel with a huge advance.

Last edited:

willietheshakes

Gentleman. Scholar. Bastard.
Registered
Reaction score
Do you have an American agent or Canadian?

Published by American publisher or Canadian?

I've read that it's not worth having an American publisher or you'll be taxed to death, etc.

But, it seems there are way more opportunites in the US.

Well, there's an active thread on some of this in the Ask the Agent section, so I won't cover the same ground here.

As far as having an American publisher goes, you need to fill out an IRS form to get classified as not paying US taxes, and your US income will be taxed with your Canadian income.

willietheshakes

Gentleman. Scholar. Bastard.
Registered
Reaction score
I don't know if things have changed, but . . . As a Canadian writer you are allowed to earn X$ before you have to pay taxes on earnings from writing. Often there are expenses incurred so keep all your receipts--everything including travel to the mailbox, upgrading computers and programs, etc. You can also claim a portion if your utilities, mortgage or rent if you have a room devoted to writing in your home. This may be the time you need an accountant, because you can claim against non-profitable writing for only so many years.

I've published articles and essays in Canada and in the US but nothing as big as a novel with a huge advance.

I'm not sure there's any low-end exemption for writing income. But yes, keep your receipts...

sistermorphine

getting weird, going pro
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sarahevekelly.com
I have an American agent and the agency itself handles all tax issues.

I looked really hard at Canadian agencies and it felt like too insular a landscape and with fewer long-term opportunities. But it depends on what you write - I felt like I was at a disadvantage because I don't write Canadiana, but so many Canadian agents will only take Canadian citizens... it really depends on your own situation.

illiterwrite

Registered
Reaction score
Yes. Because Canadian agents only represent -- and Canadian publishers only publish -- dry, earnest, historical fiction...

Bwahaha!

According to my (Canadian) agent, "Canadian" fiction can be a hard sell anywhere else right now, and I've been advised multiple times to make my next novel less...uh...Canadian.

Please note the word "can."

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
I cross the border and mail my submissions from Buffalo...using American stamps. Hopefully that tricks the Canadian publishers/agents.

Status
Not open for further replies.