How would you react if the movie of your book was MUCH DIFFERENT than your book?

Status
Not open for further replies.

StevenJ

Bored Fanatic
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.salvatorepublishing.com
Does Channel 4 still do the edgy stuff these days?

Yes, even Countdown features swearing now. :D
Seriously, I don't know if C4 does' edgy' any more, as the wind's blown my tv aeriel all over the shop so I can't get terrestrial tv at the moment; I'm stuck watching the likes of Sky3 aka the shark documentary channel.

Reaction score
I don't think the budget would extend that far, chief, especially after I made Winona Ryder my PA.

Jared Leto then; he needs the money from what I hear.

I've been away from England for 7 years now, so I've lost track of all the channels. Does Channel 4 still do the edgy stuff these days?

I've been away from England for 23 years. I live in Scotland.

But yes. Channel Four still does swearing, light drug-taking and random acts of homosexuality, so my book should be good for them.

StevenJ

Bored Fanatic
Registered
Reaction score
Website
But yes. Channel Four still does swearing, light drug-taking and random acts of homosexuality, so my book should be good for them.

Then there's E4, the channel famous for Hollyoaks and Skins, both of which feature the worst acting known to man. However, I still find myself watching these shows which arguably proves that I'm a closet masochist.

Reaction score
Some of my characters are pretty enough to be on Hollyoaks.

They swear a lot and nail anything that moves, so they probably qualify for Skins too. I've never seen it, but my dad watches it. I'm ashamed of him.

Reaction score
Bearing in mind the highlight of my dad's existence is when I go to visit him - or at least I tell myself so - that probably says a lot about how easily entertained he is.

I should probably refrain from inviting him to the premiere of my novel's fillum-isation. The scantily-clad grizzly bears and dwarves on stilts would shock him into a diabetic coma.

In a freakish incident of thread rerailment, I have to say if there were no scantily-clad grizzly bears or dwarves on stilts in the movie of my WIP, I would force myself to cope with that.

I'd manage, because they don't even feature in the first draft.

firedrake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Skins is just terrible, Mrs Leto - any show that features cameo appearances by so-called stars as a mainstay of its appeal has lost it's raison d'être, in my opinion.

Skins is touted by BBC America as an edgy, critically acclaimed drama. Then, compared to most of the crap that BBC America shows, I guess it could be. I haven't seen it, I only watch the Beeb for the news, Dr. Who and Torchwood. BBCA bears no resemblance to proper, grown-up BBC.

Samantha's_Song

At least I don't need backing-up
Registered
Reaction score
SP, FD and Steve... Get yourselves a foreign satellite dish; you don't have to pay any subscriptions to anything, not like rip-off Sjy. The French and German channels will definitely show you edgy. Hell, they might even pay you all to turn your novels into films and you won't have to leave anything out :D

Diana W.

I'm evolving
Registered
Reaction score
Skins is touted by BBC America as an edgy, critically acclaimed drama. Then, compared to most of the crap that BBC America shows, I guess it could be. I haven't seen it, I only watch the Beeb for the news, Dr. Who and Torchwood. BBCA bears no resemblance to proper, grown-up BBC.

I agree! The British BBC has tons of great dramas and documentaries. Where are all these great shows on BBC America? Most of the time they just show the most godawful shows like what not to wear and that what's in the attic show or whatever it's called. And where are all the great brit comedies?

StevenJ

Bored Fanatic
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Honestly, the BBC has lost its way in recent years, I think, and rather relies on past glories in that respect.

Many of the dramas & documentaries mentioned above can be seen on Youtube. :)

Romantic Heretic

uncoerced
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.romantic-heretic.com
In the Book Club forum, I posted about how different the Forrest Gump movie was compared to the book. About the only thing that was the same was the concept. And the movie was a hit. Without the movie, the book was probably doomed to obscurity. (Judging by the copyright page, I believe the book was self-published at first.)

Stephen King is reported to have disliked Kubrick's version of The Shining, since the director left out the basic themes that were present in the book. Meanwhile, the movie became a horror classic. Of course, without King's novel, there would never have been a film like it.

Other movies made from novels are similar in theme, setting, and characters but the plots and situations have been altered. MASH comes to mind.

In other cases, movie adaptations have been made that almost mirror the books. The Jason Bourne movies are an example. The Harry Potter movies are almost identical to the books except they left out subplots and parts of the story to condense them into the two-hour timeframe. The characters and themes were left intact.

Which brings me to my question.

Let's say your book is made into a big-budget movie, by which I don't mean Vanity Productions or some other company that ends up not producing anything at all. We can even say the movie has Big Stars in it and was directed by A Big Name Director. We can also go further to say that the movie was a Big Hit and further propelled sales of your book a millionfold.

But the film they made was somewhat different than your book. It was not like Harry Potter or Jason Bourne. They kept your characters and basic story, but many alterations were made for the sake of film. The MC is diametrically opposite than what you conceived. The basic themes are gone. The plot goes differently. Even the ending has been changed into a "Hollywood ending" suitable for the big screen.

What is your reaction as author?

I'd shrug my shoulders and count my money. :D

Chauchat Butterfly

~*~root beer floatz~*~
Registered
Reaction score
Honestly I wouldn't mind if the movie version was wildly different. I think it'd be interesting to see someone else's interpretaion of my idea, as long as I got paid (and the movie didn't suck). In fact, if I were to write and direct screenplay versions of my novels, they'd probably be all full reimaginings. There are a lot of things you can do on film that you can't do on paper. For instance: the movie version of my current WIP would be something akin to The Holy Mountain (but then it would make no money and the only people who would see it are the types the novel aims to depict).

C.bronco

I have plans...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
cynthia-bronco.blogspot.com
In the Book Club forum, I posted about how different the Forrest Gump movie was compared to the book. About the only thing that was the same was the concept. And the movie was a hit. Without the movie, the book was probably doomed to obscurity. (Judging by the copyright page, I believe the book was self-published at first.)

Stephen King is reported to have disliked Kubrick's version of The Shining, since the director left out the basic themes that were present in the book. Meanwhile, the movie became a horror classic. Of course, without King's novel, there would never have been a film like it.

Other movies made from novels are similar in theme, setting, and characters but the plots and situations have been altered. MASH comes to mind.

In other cases, movie adaptations have been made that almost mirror the books. The Jason Bourne movies are an example. The Harry Potter movies are almost identical to the books except they left out subplots and parts of the story to condense them into the two-hour timeframe. The characters and themes were left intact.

Which brings me to my question.

Let's say your book is made into a big-budget movie, by which I don't mean Vanity Productions or some other company that ends up not producing anything at all. We can even say the movie has Big Stars in it and was directed by A Big Name Director. We can also go further to say that the movie was a Big Hit and further propelled sales of your book a millionfold.

But the film they made was somewhat different than your book. It was not like Harry Potter or Jason Bourne. They kept your characters and basic story, but many alterations were made for the sake of film. The MC is diametrically opposite than what you conceived. The basic themes are gone. The plot goes differently. Even the ending has been changed into a "Hollywood ending" suitable for the big screen.

What is your reaction as author?
If it is drastically different, I will cry, cry, cry like a little girl untl I recieve the royalty check. Then I will come to terms with the changes.

If there are some modifications made, I won't mind.

Atlantis

Registered
Reaction score
I would probably be so awe struck to see my characters on the screen and my name in the credits I could probably forgive any changes done to the story. I would be a litle tiffed if some major things were changed but what can I do about it? Writers have nothing to do with the movie productions of their books most of the time. If we're lucky we might be allowed to walk around the set.

Kaiser-Kun

!
Registered
Reaction score
I'd try to get involved with the process as a consultant, but I'd generally trust the director and producers made those changes for the best rea$ons. Plus, I'd ask for them to send me a sample of every merchandise they make of it, in order to have Anara, Vynen and Rophen action figures (with kung-fu grip!) atop my desk.

mscelina

Teh doommobile, drivin' rite by you
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Going shopping with Soccer Mom and Bubastes for fu
The amount of my tears would have a direct link to the amount of my check. For example, a six or seven figure check? Not so many tears. You know why?

Because if they'll pay that much for the rights, then I'd be smart enough to negotiate final say over the script if not writing the script to start off with.

Problem solved. Bank.

Kaiser-Kun

!
Registered
Reaction score
I admit I'd actually like the movie to be different just to see if there are any angry fans protesting they ruined my book...

Status
Not open for further replies.