Publisher - agent - author: is this the flow of money?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MarkEsq

Clever title pending.
Registered
Reaction score
In the wilds of Texas. Actually, the liberal oasi
I'm trying to review a collaboration agreement between myself and my subject (non-fiction, it's his biography). The compensation section says I pay him a percentage of "all gross sums received by the Author from the Publisher."

If the publishing contract is for $100, will my "gross sum" be $85 or $100??

And I'm asking a technical, not legal question: does the publisher give my agent her cut first, then pay me, does the publisher give it all to the agent who takes her cut and pays me, or do I get it all and have to pay her?

Hope this makes sense...!

Claudia Gray

Registered
Reaction score
The way the payment flow usually works is that the publisher pays the agent, who then takes her cut and pays the rest to you.

I am not sure whether "gross sum" would be $85 or $100 in that context, but I'd think it would be $100. But do not take my word for that.

IceCreamEmpress

Hapless Virago
Registered
Reaction score
"Gross" means "off the top of what the publisher pays" not "off the top of what you get from the agent."

Your agent takes 15% of the gross. It sounds like your subject wants his X% of the gross as well.

Take my word for this. If you want him to get X% of gross receipts less agent's fees, negotiate for that.

Status
Not open for further replies.