• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Wake Up...Live the Life You Love (Little Seed Publishing / New Caledonian Press)

Talia

Contract Killer
Registered
Reaction score
http://www.wakeuplive.com/

I can't see this mentioned anywhere else. I know someone who did this. He was really impressed with it but I think it's a scam

He says he can call himself a bestselling author. also that he is a co-author with the other big name authors in the book. I disagree. I think he is a contributor. And given that the only criterion for entry into the book is payment of money I don't see that it should count as a publishing credit.

I can see for him it may have helped as he wants to establish himself as an expert in his field but still... The gold program is US$2500. platinum $5000

anyone else had any contact witht his crowd?

Tilly

Registered
Reaction score
This doesn't look like a good idea.

They keep putting TM next to "instant credibility," but I'm not sure how this would give you any credibility with anyone. From what I've read on their site, their target is business people who do speaking engagements, but I'm sure there are cheaper ways of doing this.

I don't think this is aimed at writers, as such, but people who have other types of business and who want a book to help promote that business.
It reminds me of the recent Judge Judy case.

http://absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=36328

I think it's a sub-species of vanity publishing.

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
A book providing Instant Credibility[SUP]TM[/SUP], edited by "Steven E. & Lee"...umm, yeah. Right.

Talia

Contract Killer
Registered
Reaction score
thanks for the link Tilly. that other book does sound exactly the same deal

I think Roger put it best...
Roger J Carlson said:
Ah, the light begins to dawn. This ISN'T about writing, guys. It's about marketing, that is, Dr. Richmond marketing himself.

Here's how it works.

Dr. Richmond wants to go on the speaking tour, but you gotta have a book to sell out back. So along comes Mentor books who have soliticited articles from a bunch of big names to put into a book. Dr. Richmond agrees to pay to have his little article included with the big names, so he can point to it and pretend he's in the big leagues too. After all, isn't he in a book with Dr. Phil? So he agrees to buy 1000 books at $5 each to sell in the back of the room.

Dr. Richmond wasn't defrauded. If anything, he was intending to defraud his audiences by paying to have his article included in the book. I've heard of this before, I just can't remember where. It's a specialized form of vanity press.

So it's not about Dr. Richmond being paid for his writing. It's about Dr. Richmond paying for promotional materials for his lecture tour.

This is exactly how my friend saw it. He has other published books and he wanted to add to his publishing credits. Also he wanted to say hey I appeared in these other books with these important people

And yes he part of the fee is that he gets X amount of books. These books are then used to put the book in the amazon bestseller status. what they do is book all the sales on the same day. so there might be 50 authors each buying 1,000 copies = 50,000 copies. Steven E puts those 50,000 books through as a sale on a slow day on amazon. bingo! the book immediately goes to #1 on the best seller list that day and the authors can claim they "co-authored a bestselling book with brian tracy, yada yada"

i believe the 5 or so named authors get paid for adding their name to the book. the rest of the authors pay to get the credibility for speaking and to get publishing credits

no idea how many agents or publishers would know that it is a bogus credit?

Talia

Contract Killer
Registered
Reaction score
Oh and there is a HUGE industry out there now on marketing your books. a recent teleseminar stated that a book is just a giant business card that opens the door to consulting and coaching engagements where you can earn 100s of 1000s of $$$ each month.

i am thinking i should quit writing books and instead tell other people how to sell them. lots more money :D

Speed

Registered
Reaction score
It's a scam, sort of like selling counterfeit greenbacks at a wholesale rate to people who want to pass them off to the general public. I doubt it's worth the price, unless the participant intends to make some clever use of it in some other scam.

Talia

Contract Killer
Registered
Reaction score
all i can say is that the person i know participated in about the second book of the series. i'm not sure what they're up to now, might be the 6th. he has no regrets as he feels he can call himself a best selling author

i think it's a darn clever way to make money for the publishers - willing buyer meets a very willing seller

Horizon_eyes

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.designertrade.com
This thread sure was invaluable to me. I personally don't write in that genre, but know others who do. They're always looking for opportunities that sound something like this.

It's good to know this type of fact so we can head off our peers at the pass.

I'm sure others might say, "what's the harm?" Simply because from what I've seen, say they want to find a mainstream publisher someday. Being taken seriously by them could be a challenge by listing those types of books in one's track record. And from what I also understand, if they want to get that same work published somewhere else, many publishers may not consider it after it's already been published by a vanity press.

I'm fairly new, so please correct me if I'm wrong. But overall, I believe mainstream publishers would know better, and wouldn't buy into the razzle-dazzle.

Flolita

I'm going to hold out for LiveLoveWorshipMe[SUP]TM[/SUP] or LiveLoveJazzHands[SUP]TM[/SUP].

Dear Soon-To-Be-Best-Buying-Author Friends, what book will you want buy into and who will be the celebrity author?

LiveLoveSnark?

Flo

Speed

Registered
Reaction score
Anybody can call themselves a bestselling author. Anybody can call themselves a superstar diva, too -- but it won't make them Annie Lennox.

If you're going to observe industry conventions, writing a little dab of an essay for a much longer book doesn't make you its author or co-author. It makes you a contributor. And being in this book doesn't make you a bestselling anything. A bestselling author is one whose book has spent at least a week on an established bestseller list -- NYTimes or USAToday or People, for example. If the book's science fiction or a mystery or romance, or some other established marketing category, and it makes it onto one of that category's established bestseller lists, it may then be referred to as a genre bestseller.

Cumulative sales and self-accounted sales don't count. Most (maybe all) bestseller lists are compiled by consulting with that publication's super-secret list of bookstores. It's not reliably impartial. It's just how things work.

Total sales at those bookstores is not the only consideration. There's also velocity: how fast the book starts selling right out of the gate. This is why some big books will have dates on them, before which stores aren't allowed to sell them. The publishers want that rush of initial velocity to kick in over a couple of days, not dribbled out over the week or two preceding the official pubdate.

Conclusion: This is one of those unusual sets of circumstances where "You can't cheat an honest man" actually applies. (Honest men and women get cheated all the time.) WULTLYL's customers think they're sneakily buying their way into co-authorship of a bestseller. They aren't. They're just buying into a scam.

Speed

Registered
Reaction score
By pretending to be something you're not, you're betting a slight augmentation in your credibility against the zero credibility you'll have if someone checks up on your claims and finds they're false.

matdonna

matushka at large
Registered
Reaction score
Website
rafterssriptorium.blogspot.com
Oh and there is a HUGE industry out there now on marketing your books. a recent teleseminar stated that a book is just a giant business card that opens the door to consulting and coaching engagements where you can earn 100s of 1000s of $$$ each month.

i am thinking i should quit writing books and instead tell other people how to sell them. lots more money :D

I take it you weren't using that soul you have anyway....:D

thethinker42

Abnormal Romance Author
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gallagherwitt.com
Wake Up...Live / Little Seed Publishing / New Caledonian Press

Ok, I did some poking around to see if there were any threads about this already, and didn't see any...

A friend of mine made a passing reference to this concept earlier today, but we didn't have time to discuss it in depth.

Apparently she's paid a lot of money (something like $2500 for 200 copies) to "be a part of" some book that is a "guaranteed bestseller". Some sort of new business model(?) relating to piggyback marketing(?). Supposedly it will give her leverage when she goes to publish her own book, because she's already been published (?).

Of course this immediately reeks of SCAM out every stinking orifice...but...WTH is it all about? Curious if anyone here has had any dealings with or read anything about this. My first instinct was to tell her "RUN!", but this concept is so foreign and bizarre to me that I didn't even know where to start. I'd like to (gently) steer her in the right direction, but I'm scratching my head wondering what it's even all about.

Did I miss something?

jclarkdawe

Feeling lucky, Query?
Registered
Reaction score
It sounds like a really good deal. The guy who got the $2500 must be very happy. For your friend, sounds like she got screwed. It sounds like a variation on a pyramid scheme, but without more info, it's hard to tell.

Best of luck,

Jim Clark-Dawe

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
I have seen similar (spurious) arguments used to get free content from writers. But actually charging for it is new to me.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Yep, it sounds wrong to me, too.

Do you think she could at least try to get her money back?

thethinker42

Abnormal Romance Author
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gallagherwitt.com
Name of the book or organization running this...um..."opportunity?" Link? It sure smells fishy.

Like I said, I didn't have time to get the info about it, which is why I couldn't find any info myself. That's why I wondered if it rang any bells with anyone here.

I wouldn't touch it with a ten foot pole, but I am trying to figure out how to lead her away from it before she loses MORE money. I've told her that money flows TOWARDS the writer, but Good God, she's brainwashed...

thethinker42

Abnormal Romance Author
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gallagherwitt.com
"If you like, You don’t have to write it yourself, so even if, you’re a poor writer, lousy speller, hate to use a word processor, don’t feel qualified, or are just too busy, you can have our expert editors record, transcribe, "ghost write" and edit your story for a special coauthor additional fee so you would have this powerful book as a tool to grow your business!"

So you get "instant credibility" as a "bestselling co-author", but all you have to do is cough up $2700 or $5500 (but when you sell the books you get for that money, you'll make $3000 or $7000...HUGE MARGINS THERE, FOLKS!).

Wow. Just...wow. I'm trying to explain to my friend that this is a huge scam, but she's not buying it. Plus, she's already literally BOUGHT IT, so she can't get her money back anyway...wow.