• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

AG Press, LLC (Cheryl Pillsbury)

victoriastrauss

Writer Beware Goddess
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.victoriastrauss.com
AG Press, a publisher offering "publishing packages" (for a fee of course) for authors.

Run by Cheryl Pillsbury, who also styles herself a literary agent (no qualifications, no sales), and was involved in the infamous Lanaia Lee Of Atlantis plagiarism . Read all about it here.

- Victoria

Khazarkhum

Registered
Reaction score
Man, the scammers are worse than cockroaches, aren't they?

victoriastrauss

Writer Beware Goddess
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.victoriastrauss.com
He can call it Patty Paws Publishing, and offer three options: the Meow Mix Basic (formatting, printing, a choice of four cover templates, ISBN number, online listings)--a bargain at only $999.99; the Purr-fect Package (all of the above plus your very own clip art custom cover and a once-over by an "expert" copy editor)--a bit more pricey at $1,999.99; and the Big Tail Blowout (all of the above plus a "marketing" package, consisting of a spam email publicity campaign, fake reviews on Amazon, and fake postings on various social media sites)--top dollar at $3,999.99.

He'll clean up.

- Victoria

Saskatoonistan

Still the wrong side of Saskatoon
Registered
Reaction score
Website
sean-cummings.ca
He says he'd like to name it "Pounce Publishing" and for the small investment of $3999.00 for the clumping package, you too can be a published author.

Rejected MSS will be used to line his litter box.

Man, my cat is a hard ass....

M.R.J. Le Blanc

aka Sadistic Mistress Mi-chan
Registered
Reaction score
Not to detract from kitty here, but if we could bottle the determination of these scammers we'd be pretty wealthy.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
I'm always so impressed by the invention behind some of these people: such brilliant ideas. A shame they're so exploitative.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Here's a thought - couldn't we assemble a BOOK about the scamming scammers and how the scammers scam ill-informed and inexperienced writers?

I think that Victoria and Ann should put together a proposal and see if their agents can place it. I'd buy it. And I think one or two others from AW might, too.

Go on, girls. You KNOW you want to.

victoriastrauss

Writer Beware Goddess
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.victoriastrauss.com
Here's a thought - couldn't we assemble a BOOK about the scamming scammers and how the scammers scam ill-informed and inexperienced writers?

Ann and I have thought about it, and we keep rejecting the idea for two reasons. First, the info is already out there via the Writer Beware website and blog. The idea of putting the info in a book feels repetitive. Second, the info is extremely dynamic--it changes on a regular basis. A book would be out of date even before it hit the shelves.

We might consider it if a publisher came to us, but right now it's not something we're thinking of shopping.

- Victoria

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Did y'all catch this in their news box?
We are a proud sponsor of "The Write Stuff." The winner of the reality show will receive 10 virtual copies of his/her book on CD from AG Press, along with 50 4X6 cards (displaying the book's cover) to promote it. The show will be broadcast in June 2009 on the CW Channel (56), and we will be listed in the credits. Nationwide coverage will reach more than 15 million households. Visit the website below for full details.
OMG, teh lulz.

Williebee

Capeless, wingless, & yet I fly.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ifoundaknife.com
Taking it seriously? No more than any of the rest of them.

What I liked was this: "10 virtual copies of his/her book on CD from AG Press"

hmmm

ETA: Figure 50 cents a disc, no mention of cover art, but hey, we'll throw that in for about a 50 bucks (graphic artist's time). The writer provided all the content, so.... Prize cost about 55 bucks. woot!

Last edited:

Khazarkhum

Registered
Reaction score
The "Interview Photo" was taken at Wal-mart!

I guess they're hoping to attract Walmartians.

JerseyGirl1962

I heart Malamutes! :-)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm always so impressed by the invention behind some of these people: such brilliant ideas. A shame they're so exploitative.

Yeah, it's a shame they can't use those ideas for more productive - and legitimate - purposes.

~Nancy Beck