• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Ziff Davis Media, Inc.

payme

Registered
Reaction score
I wrote fourteen web development articles over the course of a month, under contract to Developershed.com, a Ziff Davis company. It has been over seven months now, and I still have not gotten paid for any of them. They refuse to pay by any means but Paypal, and Paypal refuses to release the money to me. I asked Developershed.com to contact Paypal on my behalf, to help me receive the money that they owe me for the work, as any reasonable business would be willing to do. they flatly refused, telling me in effect "it is between you and Paypal". When appealed this, they were nasty about it telling me not even to contact about the issue because it would be "harrassment". This is a very strange and callous attitude. I do not recommend writing for any Ziff Davis publication. For more about this issue, see http://www.freewebs.com/fgrsix/

JulieB

I grow my own catnip
Registered
Reaction score
I read through the information at your link, and that definitely appears to be a PayPal issue, and not one with the payee. PayPal requires you to jump through some hoops before you can transfer money into your account. The person making the initial payment can't provide some of the things that PayPal is asking for.

There is one other place you may be able to get some assistance. Ebay's community has a separate section for PayPal issues. (PayPal is owned by Ebay.) There are a lot of topics over there, but you may find someone who has had a similar situation and had their problem resolved. That may point the way to what you need to do to get your money.

I hope you get your money, but please understand that this isn't the publisher's fault. It's always a good idea to get a payment method specified up-front and make sure you can get your money by that means.

A client of mine paid me by check for years until they got bought by an overseas company. The new people were going to pay by direct deposit. My initial enthusiasm was tempered when I discovered I had to go through all sorts of hassle to get my money, including going to the bank and having one of the managers at the branch sign papers. It took six weeks. The client warned me it was an arduous process the first time out, but each time after that initial hassle payment was promptly deposited within two weeks of invoice.

The reason I relate this story is that apears to be a similar issue for you. This looks like a transfer to another country. It's not your fault, but PayPal has been hit with fraudulent transfers involving overseas accounts and they have to be careful. I have a business account with them and went through all sorts of machinations before I could start to get my money - and I'm in the US. It's just the way financial institutions do business.

The good news is once you jump through those hoops that you should be able to get your money on a timely basis. Good luck.

Last edited:

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
While I understand your frustration, if it is known in advance that a job is paypal only it does place the responsibility on the payee to be able to receive payment in that manner.

Stacia Kane

Girl Detective
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.staciakane.com
If I'm not mistaken, the payee cannot legally help you in this; your Paypal account info is priviledged and it would be illegal for Paypal to work with the payee on this.

Their refusal to contact Paypal on your behalf is not them being difficult, it is them acknowledging that there is literally nothing they can do.

Jerry B. Flory

under the Milky Way
Registered
Reaction score
Payme, you may want to ask a mod to delete this thread.
AW is one of the largest writing related sites on the web. Publishers, agents, editors, business people of all kinds come here for various reasons.
It's also one of the most notorious sites for rooting out the bad guys in the literary world.
Think about what that holds for your future if you're slamming a legitimate business. If you're lumping a site that did actually put money into your paypal account in with literary pimps like Publish America, they're not going to be happy with you.

My advice, take your quarrel up with paypal and have this thread deleted. The net makes the publishing world a smaller place and word tends to spread quicker here.
You don't want to be labeled a troublemaker over an issue that is more your responsibility than the payees.