Inaugural Poem

Priene

Out to lunch
Registered
Reaction score
~ The Gift Outright ~

The land was ours before we were the land's.
She was our land more than a hundred years
Before we were her people. She was ours
In Massachusetts, in Virginia.
But we were England's, still colonials,
Possessing what we still were unpossessed by,
Possessed by what we now no more possessed.
Something we were withholding made us weak.
Until we found out that it was ourselves
We were withholding from our land of living,
And forthwith found salvation in surrender.
Such as we were we gave ourselves outright
(The deed of gift was many deeds of war)
To the land vaguely realizing westward,
But still unstoried, artless, unenhanced,
Such as she was, such as she would become.

This may be the most disingenous poem I've ever read.

dclary

Unabashed Mercenary
Poetry Book Collaborator
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.trumpstump2016.com
Perfect for a presidential inauguration, then, right?

Michael J. Hoag

"What's-it on the wall."
Registered
Reaction score
Website
zamyatin-lives.blogspot.com
All messages removed by author.

This has been Mike Hoag's semi-anual poetry forum hissy-fit. I probably just had too much caffeine. Please forgive if I sent you nasty PMs or rep point zingers. If you receive anything suspicious in the mail in a few days, well, just promptly wash it off. You'll probably be ok...

;)

Last edited:

Woof

Outward Hound
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
This may be the most disingenuous poem I've ever read.

Disingenuous? Really? Well, I'll take good old disingenuous Robert Frost any day over unimaginative, lacklustre Elizabeth Alexander.

A. Hamilton

here for a minute...catch me?
Kind Benefactor
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
yep, discussions are most interesting with more than one opinion.
I'm glad to hear such a positive review, because this gives example to other discussions as to the subjectivity of a poem.
I liked this poem so much better when I read it than when I heard it spoken (from someone that had to be a very nervous person whom is possibly rather private otherwise) that I became curious as to the take of other poets here.
We seem to mostly all agree that creating such a piece under pressure would be intimidating and some poets would fare better than others in those circumstances.
I think having our own challenge will be eye opening. how does one commemorate such an event and truly do it honor? I have complete respect for any Poet willing to step up a display themselves to pretty much the entire world. just the thought makes me shiver with fear.
I don't consider myself very well read when it comes to poetry, a little dabbling here and there, but I can't spout off styles and Poets and eras like others can. I'm kinda open minded about what defines poetry, and it's very interesting to see the varying levels of reaction here.
the one thing that strikes me the most is perhaps the very matter that we are celebrating as we inaugurate a man who will be one of the most vital figures in our lives as a nation. our freedom to express our opinions, to disagree with people, even those in power, is part of our vitality here as a community but also, and more importantly, as a free nation.

anyway, rambling aside, I'm glad to have a place to have these discussions and I think the contest will not only be fun, but also beneficial as a community of poets who respect the right for all who wish to attempt to be poets.

Last edited:

caseyquinn

Just happy to be here
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shortstory.us.com
I am not sure i really follow your argument Mike - some people can't stand the line breaks of ee cummings, other love it. There are threads in here talking about various poets and what people like or disliked about their work. Why is this any different? a poem was written and people have chosen to either like or dislike it. There is no "movement" really just people who have read something they either liked or disliked. Not a closed group to new ideas or strictly following any secret rules of poetry. In fact if you read through most poems posted you will find very little in common poet to poet.

Thats cool you liked the poem, i personally didn't. Not because i am a member of AW which it sounds like you are implying. I am sure many people didn;t like the poem and do not belong to this forum... i guess i am just lost in your point.

Last edited:

Stew21

Registered
Reaction score
It's interesting, Michael, that you attribute our opinion of the poem on a "poetry forum hive" mentality. The same discussion took place in the Politics and Current Events forum (with a more broad group of participants, most of whom do not contribute in the poetry forum) with largely the same results.

As for what we (as a hive) consider to be poetry, you'll find that many of the poets here go about their craft in very different ways. We respect that. We do all agree for the most part though, (at least those who have participated in discussion of it), that poetry, no matter the subject, has to employ some poetic device and, in order to be good, has to stir the reader in some way.

The opinions we give are individual ones - as are our critiques. If they match up with each other it certainly isn't a reflection of the ego necessary for a poetic movement or the intent to shut down other voices as a group. I think many here would be offended by the label of "insular" as well.

The intention of the discussion in either forum was never to offend. It was a frank discussion, that just so happened to render similar judgment from many here and in the P&CE forum. (link to that discussion: http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=128208)

I see you have deleted your posts. if you feel you are bringing "history" into this discussion, that may have been a good decision, as it is not relevant to the discussion of the inaugural poem or the perceptions we've discussed regarding it.)

Last edited:

Michael J. Hoag

"What's-it on the wall."
Registered
Reaction score
Website

This has been Mike Hoag's semi-anual poetry forum hissy-fit. I probably just had too much caffeine. Please forgive if I sent you nasty PMs or rep point zingers. If you receive anything suspicious in the mail in a few days, well, just promptly wash it off. You'll probably be ok...

;)

Last edited:

caseyquinn

Just happy to be here
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shortstory.us.com
#1 rule of being a writer: grow thick skin.
#2 rule of being a writer: grow thicker skin
#3 rule of being a writer: ok, you get the point...

everyone has had poems torn into, critiqued, rejected. It is part of writing. Not everyone is going to love what you write, if you put it out there, you need to be prepared for negative feedback. See rule #1 or #2 or ... People will not always like what you write and really only hurts yourself to write it off as "group mentality" or "everyone is out to get you" - history is just that, leave it there -

Michael J. Hoag

"What's-it on the wall."
Registered
Reaction score
Website

;)

Last edited:

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
Hey Michael...I liked her inaugural poem. I just always jump at the chance to write a poem. I shared her poem with friends. I'm pushing the contest just to get more writing/reading material. I think the contest was a bi-product of the 'that wasn't very good' discussion. It was a 'if you think you can do better, shut up and put your money where your mouth is'. I see nothing wrong with her poem and I don't have a problem with the contest.

ETA: The link in my sig-line is totally in jest...basically pointed at those who barked at the original poem.